A8-3850 Build - About to pull the trigger
Hey all,

I have learned a lot reading the forums and I think I am ready to pull the trigger. I am still pretty noob-ish on a lot of it, so please review:

APU: AMD A8-3850 BOX $108 Shipped
RAM: Kingston HyperX 4gb Kit (2x2gb) PC3 12800 DDR3 $32 Shipped
CASE: Silverstone Aluminum/Steel MicroATX MediaCenter HTPC Case $60 Shipped
I will add 1 or 2 80mm case fans I have around my office.
MOBO: ASRock Socket FM1/AMD A75 FCH/SATA3&USB3/ MINI ITX A75m-ITX $90 shipped
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit System Builder Pack $97 shipped
IR Reciever: ASRock Universal Smart Remote Control $40 shipped
I will be using my Logitech Harmony One as the real remote, but with the ASRock for WAKE on IR functions. I will leave the box on but sleeping and want to wake from the remote.
HD will be an existing 64gb Intel SSD I have around and storage will be on a networked NAS with 3tb/RAID array. Connectivity will be GIGe via Cat 6e cabling in the walls.

Still working out the PSU and CPU Cooler. I really want a Pico PSU like this one: picoPSU-150-XT DC-DC 150w PSU ~$80.

I plan to use this for:
- Watching 1080p MKV, AVI, mts, etc files (not 3d) over the network
- Watching Hulu, Netflix, Amazon PrimeHD content
- Listening to music
- Looking at pictures
- Maybe someday running an arcade emulator
- Maybe someday running a Sickbeard/sabnzb/Couchpotato all in one content acquisition setup
- Etc

I am going to use the CIR header and ASRock remote to connect my Harmony to the system.

So, the questions:

- PSU - Will a 150w PicoPSU do the trick? I would really like a silent solution but I the power calcs on ASUS, etc all suggest 220w or more. If Pico wont work, can someone suggest an inexpensive, efficient small PSU?
- If i get the picoPSU will I need a mounting shield for the power cord?
- CPU fan - In a case this size, with a couple of good case fans will I need anything more than the stock cooler?
- Windows - It really chaps my hide to buy yet another Windows license. I would like to run this with Ubuntu or OpenElec but that keeps Netflix off the table, right?
- The Harmony to ASrock setup. Anyone here using that?

Thanks for the help!

Jason
For the same price, why not getting this "picoPSU-160-XT"......it'll give you more wattages to add other components......

You can use this "Scythe SCBSK-2100" CPU cooler and this "SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm" case fan to keep the noise level low....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I have pretty much the same system, case and everything. I have 1 SSD and 2 HDDs in mine. My PSU is a 320W ATX power supply which is dead silent, I have never heard it. The only thing that makes any noise in my system is the Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 CPU cooler. But that is only even slightly noticeable when I really stress the system, mute the sound on my TV, and get within about 5 feet of my system.

As far as the PicoPSU, I just did some testing of my system last night in Prime95 and used 143W of power. Beer, bluray, and eskro are having a nice, polite, civil discussion about the PSU requirements in that thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132196. Since that was pretty much the max stress of the system, I'm guessing you should be okay with a 150W PSU, but, for the same price, it would seem silly not to have the extra room of the 160W PSU bluray linked to add components in the future.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Oh one thing I'd add... the ASRock Smart Remote is crap. Range on it absolutely blows. I can power the system on from across the room, but for any actual other functions I have to be within 6 feet of the system or it is unreliable at best.

I have bought the Inteset internal CIR referenced in a few posts on the forums. It needs to be re-pinned to work with the ASRock motherboard but everybody that has posted about it said it works great. I'll update when I get mine and have it installed.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD

Mick, I will take a look at that PSU. How much louder would it be with the stock CPU cooler?
I can't compare the stock CPU cooler directly to the BIG Shuriken 2, however, on my A6-3500 system I used the stock CPU cooler. It is louder but, I couldn't even notice it once I had my TV going. My A6-3500 system just recently got a case so it was running for a couple weeks with just the motherboard in the open on my shelf in my bedroom and it wasn't noticeable with the TV going.

If I was doing it over again and my budget was tight, I wouldn't lose any sleep if I had to sacrifice the BIG Shuriken 2 for the stock CPU cooler. However, I do feel the BIG Shuriken 2 keeps the CPU cooler at a lower noise level so, if you can get it, go for it!

(2012-05-24, 22:56)Mick1152 Wrote: I can't compare the stock CPU cooler directly to the BIG Shuriken 2, however, on my A6-3500 system I used the stock CPU cooler. It is louder but, I couldn't even notice it once I had my TV going. My A6-3500 system just recently got a case so it was running for a couple weeks with just the motherboard in the open on my shelf in my bedroom and it wasn't noticeable with the TV going.

If I was doing it over again and my budget was tight, I wouldn't lose any sleep if I had to sacrifice the BIG Shuriken 2 for the stock CPU cooler. However, I do feel the BIG Shuriken 2 keeps the CPU cooler at a lower noise level so, if you can get it, go for it!

Thank you for confirming this! Big Grin We all have different tolerances...Rofl
(2012-05-25, 02:05)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-05-24, 22:56)Mick1152 Wrote: I can't compare the stock CPU cooler directly to the BIG Shuriken 2, however, on my A6-3500 system I used the stock CPU cooler. It is louder but, I couldn't even notice it once I had my TV going. My A6-3500 system just recently got a case so it was running for a couple weeks with just the motherboard in the open on my shelf in my bedroom and it wasn't noticeable with the TV going.

Thank you for confirming this! Big Grin We all have different tolerances...Rofl

I've been married for 15 years... I could probably tolerate a cooling system driven by a small gas powered engine to be honest

(2012-05-25, 02:36)Mick1152 Wrote: I've been married for 15 years... I could probably tolerate a cooling system driven by a small gas powered engine to be honest
+1......after 5 kids later, I can tolerate just about anything........

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
My favorite PSU for the ML03 case is this one: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...0-60GHS-R/

Also, why get a mini-ITX motherboard and not micro-ATX?
Dougie,

I am following one of Eskro's builds. What is the advantage of Micro vs Mini xTX?
micro-atx is bigger than mini itx so it will have a bit more room to work with and will have a few more expansion card slots. If you're getting the ML03 case, it has 4 expansion card slots on it. The mini ITX board only has one slot so you are missing out on the potential to have 2 additional expansion card slots. This board ASRock Micro ATX board has 3 expansion card slots, and, is cheaper than the mini-ITX board.

I don't think I will be using any expansion slots, but the size point is a good one. Silly me, I thought a MICRO would be smaller than a MINI.
You and I both! I had to do a bit of reading about that. It's because the ITX form is smaller than the ATX form... so apparently a mini small is smaller than a micro big! There, clear as mud!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A8-3850 Build - About to pull the trigger0