• 5(current)
iPad 3 and xbmc?
I can confirm Rengoku's findings. I've just tested the nightly build, the resolution setting in settings->system->display is 2048x1536. The interface and menus are much sharper than before. However, the video playback quality of 1080p movies are the same as the stable build. That is, they are not in retina resolution.
Version: xbmc-20120529-8c1f246-master-ios tested, UI rendered in 2048x1536; but 1080p H.264 videos are still rendered under 1024x768.

But Ducks.Take.Off.2160p.QHD.CRF25.x264.mkv can be played on the new iPad, and rendered perfectly @ the resolution of 2048x1536, it's sharp and clear.

I wonder if there're some bug in 1080p video playback scripts?
Version: xbmc-20120529-8c1f246-master-ios tested, UI rendered in 2048x1536; but 1080p H.264 videos are still rendered under 1024x768.

But Ducks.Take.Off.2160p.QHD.CRF25.x264.mkv can be played on the new iPad, and rendered perfectly @ the resolution of 2048x1536, it's sharp and clear.

I wonder if there're some bug in 1080p video playback scripts?
(2012-05-29, 14:51)bebeboo Wrote: Unfortunately I am unable to view any videos to test as whenever I access my SMB shared folders the program hangs and the only way out is to quit via the iPad task manager.

I don't have any problem with SMB access to my Windows 7 PC. BTW, I've used both the cydia stable build and also today's nightly build. Both worked fine with SMB access.
interface looks good.. I'll echo the comments about the video.. it seems unchanged.

Keep up the great work!
Specifically, any video played back through VideoToolBox will not be at full resolution. Anything that goes through a software decoder renders at full res.

You can see this if you play back an unacceleratable file, or if you turn VTB off and compare before and after (where after is a slideshow...)
philipl - thx thats a good finding. Will talk to our VTB god.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I guess its fixed in next nightly (credits to Rengoku for testing).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-05-29, 20:47)Memphiz Wrote: I guess its fixed in next nightly (credits to Rengoku for testing).
Good jobs.
PS:where can I see the Nightly Builds' changelog?
Nightly build changelogs aren't produced. You can see the commit history on github though.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits/master
(2012-05-29, 09:48)Turb007 Wrote: I have been using xbmc quite a lot since the new JB came out Friday, i have noticed the battery gets spanked when watching a movie ( and in idle with xbmc open ?!? ) and the iPad get hot , is that because its upscaling from 1024 x 768 ?

will xbmc use the new GPU in the iPad 3 ?

how long till the nightly with retina goes live ? Smile

Yeah, I found the same thing. Battery drain is kind of quick and it gets hot. Idle drain is also strange.
I also noticed that the battery meter only shows in multiples of 5. So if it shows 90% in XBMC, the iOS meter may be somewhere in between 86 and 90.

And just one other thing, I noticed that some of my .ogm container video files have jerky motion at times. Not sure if that is fixable. They play fine on my PC.

Unfortunately today's nightly is still hanging whenever I try to access a folder within my SMB share. It's weird as the same share works fine with the Eden Stable Build.

If you guys need me to help by sending you a log or something, I would be very happy to help out.
The latest nightly is rendering at full res, which is great, but it appears that xbmc can't actually cope with it. Previously, I could play original 1080p blu-ray sources just fine, but now it's choppy and not achieving the proper frame rate. If you remux the files so that the native media player can play them, they play smoothly, so it's not a fundamental hardware limitation.

So, it seems we need the VTB scaling hack to be available as an option to allow smooth playback unless and until some other optimization is made. I'm not in a position to profile it, but I guess its a memory bandwidth thing copying frames out of the decoder buffers? As that's the only thing that would be affected by downscaling on the decoder output. I guess the media player tool uses a direct-to-screen fast path to avoid such copying?
I can report the same thing as philipl said above. 720p plays perfectly, with debug mode on, its fixed at 24fps and about 70% xbmc-cpu usage. But for 1080p videos, the framerate hovers between 15-17fps, and between 100-110% xbmc-cpu usage. If any devs need more info or need me to submit some log files, please let me know, I'll be happy to help. Smile
(2012-05-30, 16:07)philipl Wrote: The latest nightly is rendering at full res, which is great, but it appears that xbmc can't actually cope with it. Previously, I could play original 1080p blu-ray sources just fine, but now it's choppy and not achieving the proper frame rate. If you remux the files so that the native media player can play them, they play smoothly, so it's not a fundamental hardware limitation.

So, it seems we need the VTB scaling hack to be available as an option to allow smooth playback unless and until some other optimization is made. I'm not in a position to profile it, but I guess its a memory bandwidth thing copying frames out of the decoder buffers? As that's the only thing that would be affected by downscaling on the decoder output. I guess the media player tool uses a direct-to-screen fast path to avoid such copying?

I have other tricks planned for usage under iOS5 Smile bruhahahaha.
(2012-05-30, 16:20)Rengoku Wrote: I can report the same thing as philipl said above. 720p plays perfectly, with debug mode on, its fixed at 24fps and about 70% xbmc-cpu usage. But for 1080p videos, the framerate hovers between 15-17fps, and between 100-110% xbmc-cpu usage. If any devs need more info or need me to submit some log files, please let me know, I'll be happy to help. Smile

Similar results here. On the 1080p MKV I tried, I was getting ~20FPS and ~120% XBMC-CPU usage. Close to watchable, but not quite. (720p files were great, which is freaking stellar, considering that most of my collection is in 720p.)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad 3 and xbmc?0