Win Video Lag/jerk after a while
Hello all,

First, I will thank the XBMC community for the nice XBMC software which is a real success!

Now, I've some issues playing video with XBMC (11.0 Git:20120321) : I have a mediacenter PC with XBMC installed on Windows 7. The PC (and XBMC) is turned on permanently. After a while (sometimes 2 hours, sometimes 1 day), any video started lags. ==> hard jerk during video playback. If I restart XBMC, the issue disappears and the same video playback is perfect without any jerk! (Note that my video output settings are configured for full-screen playback - adjust display refresh rate to match video - synck playback to display - AV synck method : video clock (resample audio). BUT changing those settings doesn't fix the problem)

Has anybody any idea regarding this strange issue/behavior?

Thanks in advance.
There are certain skins and add-ons that seem to be causing memory leaks that could cause this issue. They mainly cause a crash though. There is also a known issue where waking up from standby, XBMC can have this issue until XBMC is restarted.
I have this exact problem with my setup, and it survived two computers. Both were/are running Windows 7 64-bit, Eden 11.0 stable, both use the basic Confluence skin that it gets set to as default and as far as I know no other alterations that would cause this issue. I only started using XBMC with the Eden betas but I even had the problem back then as well as through the release candidates and finally with the official release.

What happens is that after a couple of days all videos are consistently jerky, as though they're losing 1 out of 8 frames or so in a deliberate pattern. My girlfriend never really notices it but I can spot the problem right away. Fortunately I was able to set an Alt-F4 and a Windows quick launch button to my Harmony remote using FLIRC so it's as simple as starting a show or movie, realizing the problem is happening, closing and reopening XBMC in a few seconds and then resuming the show where I left off. Closing and opening XBMC always fixes it for me right away, and it will always take at least two days to crop up.

This computer is on 24/7. No standby, no hibernation and it spends 99% of its power-on time sitting on the home screen in Confluence with the TV and receiver powered off. For what it's worth I use ffdshow tryouts for my decoder package. I'm not sure if that matters as it doesn't do it mid-playback, though. It seems to directly be tied into how long XBMC has been running.

The only hardware that survived the rebuild is an Nvidia 9800GT graphics card, but just in the nature of upgrading the computer I downloaded the latest (at the time) graphics drivers.
Ffdshow has no effect on XBMC unless you are using the DSplayer builds.
Thanks, I really appreciate your answers... I'm happy to see that I'm not alone Wink
Anyway, if I understand, there isn't proper solution to this issue up to now.

@kricker : I do not have plugins (except the MCE remote plugin), and I try several skins and of course the default confluence one but the problem is the same in any configuration. No standby, no hibernation! I forgot to say that I've checked the virtual memory allocation for XBMC (in the device manager) when my problem occurs but nothing special : the memory consumption seems to be constant (or at least not growing).

@Mister Negative : It seems that we've exact same problems and certainly the same sensitivity to jerky video, and yes, I can also spot the issue with certitude (e.g. with a high quality traveling video sequence). Unfortunately, I'm not able to restart XBMC from my remote control. I can exit XBMC of course, but I can't launch XBMC from Windows Desktop (don't find a way to associate a remote key to XBMC shortcut since I installed MCE remote plugin)

Thanks again.
Yes, you are definitely not alone on this. I posted in another thread about stuttering on playback and when navigating xbmc. Reboot always fixes it.
I also leave it on 24/7 b/c I want instant access at any time. Very annoying that this happens. I hope someone can fix this at some point.
My only other question is: Why aren't more people posting about this issue? Is it more common in the windows builds?
I'm not using the DSplayer build, Kricker. That is good to know, however!

Me23, I used to think it was simply something wrong with my media center computer, or that it was only happening because the software was in beta. Then release came around and it didn't get better, then I built a replacement computer (not for this reason) and the issue persisted. I thought, "how weird that this only happens to me" because I never noticed anyone posting about it, and I thought if it were a widespread problem there would be quite a bit more discussion around it. It is also interesting that XBMC on my ATV2 can run for months without experiencing the same phenomenon (I almost never exit to Front Row), so I wonder if it's Windows specific?

In case it's pertinent I have XBMC reading from a MySQL database on a Synology NAS, and I did back up my XBMC appdata settings, so even though the computer is new, the installation isn't. If someone thinks that starting from scratch may fix it I'll try, but I'm 99 percent happy with my installation right now so I'm doing so as a last resort. Having a household accept a new media interface is easier when it is consistent from room to room and all of the time! Smile
I get this occasionally, as a work-around I remapped the green windows button on my remote to quit XBMC and relaunch it using EventGhost.
I think for now as a workaround, I will just have windows scheduler do a reboot every night like at 5:00 am.
Hopefully this will get addressed at some point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Lag/jerk after a while0