Transcoding Support TVHeadend
Information 
Hi!

As this thread is the first search result when googling for "kodi tvheadend transcode" I just want to note that the built-in transcoding of Tvheadend is working quite fine now in combination with Kodi / XBMC. You just have to make sure to select MP2 as audio codec. (When transcoding to AAC or Vorbis there will be no sound yet in Kodi / XBMC.)

Here is an example that works over my WAN connection without stream stuttering:
(Of course you can decrease the resolution parameter to further reduce bandwidth usage!)

Also editing of ./src/plumbing/transcoding.c is not necessary anymore. Instead you have to enable libav when compiling the source code:
Code:
AUTOBUILD_CONFIGURE_EXTRA=--enable-libffmpeg_static ./Autobuild.sh -t <target>
I will try to use with 3G (UMTS) could you or someone recommend setting for low bandwidth usage.

Thanks
Hello helio58,

for lower bandwidth usage you can reduce the resolution value in your TVHeadend streaming profile and stream SD instead of HD channels.

Example (Resolution=240p):
Bandwith usage for a part of a movie on "arte HD": 0.7 .. 3.2 Mbit/s
Bandwith usage for same movie part on "arte SD": 0.3 .. 1.8 Mbit/s
hi, can someone tell me how add codec to tv-headend? i have only pass matrosk and another. Work only matroska but without audio.
Thanks ThiasDE
Will libav be included in future pre-compiled (Ubuntu) releases?
@nonchiederci - sounds like you don't have transcoding enabled. If you do, you should have several default profiles that you can edit as needed:

The codecs should be compiled in - if you build tvheadend as above, it pulls in a version of ffmpeg, so you get all the codec support that ffpeg has. And that's a lot.

@mjorud - the precompiled (unstable) Ubuntu releases should have this enabled already. That said, I'm aware that the Debian builds seem to not be including ffmpeg for some reason, but try the PPA and see what happens. Or build it yourself, it really is very straightforward.
When will it be possible to have HEVC (h265) ?
When it gets added :p

You could check to see if there's a feature request already open, and raise one if there isn't:

https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/issues

My suspicion is that you'd need a beast of a machine to transcode to HEVC in realtime - unless you're throwing away much of the information (e.g. downscaling), in which case H.264 or even MPEG-2 would probably do just as well. But the world is moving quickly, I know...
(2014-12-18, 21:52)Prof Yaffle Wrote: @nonchiederci - sounds like you don't have transcoding enabled. If you do, you should have several default profiles that you can edit as needed:

The codecs should be compiled in - if you build tvheadend as above, it pulls in a version of ffmpeg, so you get all the codec support that ffpeg has. And that's a lot.

@mjorud - the precompiled (unstable) Ubuntu releases should have this enabled already. That said, I'm aware that the Debian builds seem to not be including ffmpeg for some reason, but try the PPA and see what happens. Or build it yourself, it really is very straightforward.

under "stream profile" tab i have only pass - matroska and htsp and all are enabled. i'm on openelec os. How can i compile and add codec? is there a tutorial or guide?
You'll need to obtain/compile a new version of the tvheadend addon for OpenElec. I don't know what version of tvh they're currently shipping (I thought they'd updated recently to 3.9.2xxx) or how it's built (i.e. whether or not they've included the ffmpeg libraries).

So... check your version of tvheadend and see if it's relatively recent; if not, update; if so, you'd need to look around and see if someone has built a version for your platform; if not, you're into (cross-)compiling your own.

EDIT

A quick Google turned this up:

http://openelec.tv/forum/79-tvheadend/73...ild-inside
(2014-12-18, 21:52)Prof Yaffle Wrote: @mjorud - the precompiled (unstable) Ubuntu releases should have this enabled already. That said, I'm aware that the Debian builds seem to not be including ffmpeg for some reason, but try the PPA and see what happens. Or build it yourself, it really is very straightforward.

@Prof Yaffle: I'm using the precompiled unstable Ubuntu releases (HTS Tvheadend 3.9.2303~gcde79eb~trusty) and from what I read around the net this release should have transcoding and its profiles enabled. Am I doing something wrong?
Those should have static ffmpeg included - I just checked the build logs for the last couple of compiles, and it all seems to be bundled. So if you're installing from the Ubuntu unstable PPA, you should have everything you need...
I have "deb http://apt.tvheadend.org/unstable trusty main" in my sources.list. I assume that this is correct or are there other sources?
Will try to remove and re-install to see if that helps.

Edit: Under /home/hts/.hts/tvheadend/profile/ I only have three profiles (htsp, matroska, pass)
how do you add profiles with the options shown? This is all I see and the dropdown only lets me select existing profiles.
my build is 3.9.2303.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Transcoding Support TVHeadend0