I have an external USB 3.0 HDD that contains all of my media. I also have a recently jailbroken ATV2 with XBMC EDEN running perfectly. I've read I need to create a "SMB server" of my external HDD in windows 7 but I can't find any guide on how to create, setup & connect a SMB or even what a SMB is & how I connect to my ATV2.
Can someone please point me in the correct direction? A video guide would be great if anyone can have better luck finding one then me.
AppleTV 2 (black) - Help connecting media HDD to ATV2
Joined: May 2012
2012-05-27 18:40 Post: #1
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona, USA
2012-05-27 21:21 Post: #2
I'm not sure how up-to-date they are (since I don't use Windows much), but there are some guides on the wiki at SMB (wiki). SMB is just Windows Sharing. Makes select folders and files accessible over the network.
Full disclosure: I work for WeTek. However, this is my personal account, and my words and opinion are my own.
You can make easy links to the Kodi Wiki Manual using double brackets around common Kodi words: [[debug log]] = debug log (wiki), [[Video library]] = Video library (wiki), [[SMB]] = SMB (wiki) , [[userdata]] = userdata (wiki), etc
Joined: Apr 2012
2012-05-28 04:53 Post: #3
1. Connect HDD to PC
2. Open command prompt with elevation (Run as administrator)
3. type: net user xbmc <password> /add (If it complains about complexity use a capital letter and number e.g.: XbmcRul3s!)
2. Open windows explorer
3. Right click on HDD, and select properties
4. Select TAB sharing, and select "Advanced Sharing"
5. Select "share this folder"
6. Select "permissions" and click "Add", then type xbmc
7. Select "change" permissions and then [ok]
8. In XBMC "Add Videos...", Browsem select "Windows network (SMB)"
9. Navigate to computer, select share (or drive letter)
10. Enter username from 3.
11. Enter password from 3.
12. Select "Remember for this path" and select "Ok"