Beer's M350 A6-3500
Ok ok.... I'm going to do some testing with the little fan in and out.... whole reason was just to test it and just be on the safe side that is all.....

I have installed the fan in it's spot and it makes a whinny noise there witch it did not do outside. It's not bad but not HTPC approved if you are heading that way...... (it needs to be away from the metal and it's fine again)

So when the SSD comes in I will test it....

I'm just trying to help out the community...

I know I can also mount it on top of the little heatsink if I ever need to.....

Cool ? Cheers... and goodnight.....

But it seems that I will be leaving it out if the temps are ok with the SSD.... Smile
I think the SSD will make all the difference. If then the temps are 65C or below, even 70C under load, don't worry about it. High temps are a fact of life in SFF cases. It's only bad if something melts Smile.
So got the SSD in and tested.....

The little 40MM fan did not make a difference maybe by 1C but it's hard to say..... (and it buzzes because it's right next to the metal so I took it out)

So now I am very happy with the temperatures and all.... quiet quiet.... only time it got loud was when it passes 2,500 RPM when it was doing the Windows Rate test...

50c/122F
Target fan speed Level 1 in bios for the FAN....

So yes a regular HD in this box it's a no no.... it builds too much heat you need a SSD.....

And like I said I got the 7mm version of this SSD and it is a little thinner then the HD.....

Here are the readings when it did the rate test.... the CPUID Hardware Monitor it's at idle but max was 58C for a few seconds...

CLOSER LOOK

(2012-06-12, 20:53)Beer40oz Wrote: The little 40MM fan did not make a difference maybe by 1C but it's hard to say.....
That is what I thought......you'll be fine without it and you'll enjoy your desktop for a long time....Nod

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
THIS WAS FOR TESTING I AM NOT USING THIS FAN

Yup Bluray....

Guys you might like this Smile This is more testing LOL

Well after messing with Media Player Classic and youtube 1080P it gets to about 61C pretty hot (but mostly 50c).... the metal of the case gets pretty darn hot... I guess it will be fine... but I wan't to prolong its life.

Most of the time doing other things it stays at 45-50C .... sab, couch etc....

Today has been hot and the room has been at 85F.....

So I installed my 140mm silen x fan.... Smile it's at 900 RPM full and it's quiet... now my temps are 28-34C sab and stuff and 39 -45C on 1080P Smile and the metal on the case is not hot anymore.

With a little care take out the 3 pins of the fan and pass trough the hole and re-install pins and connect to mobo... I have it on chassis one that way I can set it to full or do whatever...

Oh and the rubber screws the fan comes with I installed them and they act like feet..... Smile

Now I have to find a way to attach it so I can set it behind the screen..... and maybe buy a dust filter for it......

Maybe some velcro on the center of the fan to the case....

W/ small case and small CPU heatsink/fan, it'll run hotter than normal but you'll be fne with standard desktop tasks.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Looks good with the 140mm fan! Now, get a fan guard on that before the cat gets in it Smile.
lol, that case is so small that it looks like you mounted the htpc on a fan instead of the other way around Big Grin
Yes I ordered a fan filter cover... Smile I rather run it with the fan then with out.... the metal gets very hot with out.... with the fan no problems. It does not look bad.... but I think if your going HTPC silent... it will work but there are other cases with better ventilation.... like what Dougie Fresh sells....

Unless fallow what eskro said .... get a 120MM slim fan and take out akasa cooler fan and place on top inside the case....

But I am done testing.... I am happy how it performs... SSD is quick.... and it's quiet.

Cheers!
UPDATE

I don't need the extra 140MM fan...

I had my POWER in settings set to HIGH PERFORMANCE.... (I tested on high and forgot to set it back)

Witch meant all my hardware is on high voltages all all the time.

I noticed that my SSD was doing a humming sound (so I wen't online to figure out why and it's because of high performance)

Once I set it back to BALANCED (never shut off screen and never go to sleep) now my MHz idle at 798 and go up
when needed and it don't hum anymore even when it goes up.

So I tested once more and the computer idles at 36-38C...

Tested a 1080P video for an hour and it's a good 46C with the CPU fan never going up in RPM's...

The case is still a little warm but now I am more confident on it.

CHEERS! Nod

(2012-06-14, 19:13)Beer40oz Wrote: UPDATE

I don't need the extra 140MM fan...

I had my POWER in settings set to HIGH PERFORMANCE.... (I tested on high and forgot to set it back)

Witch meant all my hardware is on high voltages all all the time.

I noticed that my SSD was doing a humming sound (so I wen't online to figure out why and it's because of high performance)

Once I set it back to BALANCED (never shut off screen and never go to sleep) now my MHz idle at 798 and go up
when needed and it don't hum anymore even when it goes up.

So I tested once more and the computer idles at 36-38C...

Tested a 1080P video for an hour and it's a good 46C with the CPU fan never going up in RPM's...

The case is still a little warm but now I am more confident on it.

CHEERS! Nod

Doesn't it feel great when you solve your own problems. Especially one like you describe,..it's pretty hard to ask for help from others on something like this.
Great job! Something tells me you're going to enjoy your system even more.
So after hours and hours of research I think I have decided to build this box. I would like wifi and found the Asus F1A75-I DELUXE mobo for $140. Do you think I could replace the ASRock A75M-ITX you used?
Yes, you can definitely change to the Asus motherboard. I'd also suggest taking a look at this mini-itx case as Beer40oz suggests since it has seems to have better ventilation/run cooler. So far, no one that has used the mini-itx case has needed an additional case fan.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beer's M350 A6-3500 1