HD Audio on ATV2?
I think you do....
(2012-06-20, 16:57)Memphiz Wrote: mikey1234 its nearly impossible that hd audio gets passed through with atv2. Well its not nearly impossible - its impossible.

(2012-06-20, 20:05)idlerobbo Wrote: WHAT?.HUH? HOW? My AV receiver plays HD audio too but not through ATV2 ...? Unless im missing something obvious!

Xbmc has pass thru isn't pass thru just exactly what it says pass thru......obviously atv2 handle mkv extremely well as its hard coded in hardware.....
Sure its pass through. But it doesn't mean that we don't need to add code for supporting it. And our code for pass through supports only pass through up to 5.1 dts/ac3 - no HD (because its not possible as of the ios/hardware).

I think you are mixing up HD-Video and HD-Audio. We are talking about HD-Audio here (up to 7.1 channels > 192khz).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ok I get ya my bad.....ok I don't have 7.1 setup so now I can say I wouldn't know lol......5.1 dts no problems lol
So if the ATV will never have HD Audio what would be the best setup to have then? a Mac Mini? Since its small and still mac.
Not a mac mini - this seems to be the most broken hardware when it comes to audio ... just see the reports in the osx forum about these ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Will HD Audio be possible with ATV3 if jailbroken, or is it the same hardware?
no it won't same hardware in that matter...
(2012-06-23, 01:51)Memphiz Wrote: Not a mac mini - this seems to be the most broken hardware when it comes to audio ... just see the reports in the osx forum about these ...
Also the newer version of Macmini?
I guess I am a bit confused then. This entire time i was under the impression that HD Audio was just optical in general.

Seeing that it appears that 5.1 is supported (or am I wrong) how does one get this set up? Using netflix I can get 5.1 perfectly. In XBMC (newest nightlies) I am unable to get anything but stereo sound to play through. If I leave all ATV settings to auto, and XBMC settings to 5.1 Audio, through Optical, with DTS and Dolby enabled I get nothing but time code static playing either a DTS or Dolby movie. Ive tried running the optical from my TV and directly from the ATV with the same results. If I put the ATV settings to "16 bit" my receiver displays "error".

So does XBMC on ATV 2 support anything outside of stereo? And if so, is there a recommended set up?

(it's also very possibly maybe my receiver is just a cheap POS and doenst know wtf its doing - Panasonic SA-HT900 - http://www.retrevo.com/support/Panasonic...bh749/t/2/ )
HD audio refers to some specific audio formats used by some movies/receivers. It sounds like you are having a different issue unrelated to HD audio. I would start a new thread for that.
(2012-08-17, 03:30)edru Wrote: I guess I am a bit confused then. This entire time i was under the impression that HD Audio was just optical in general.
You are confused. By optical I guess you mean spdif (which is not just optical, it can also be delivered over a wire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spdif , it is also known as iec958.)

spdif will deliver LPCM (ie uncompressed) in 2 channels or AC3 or DTS. The AC3 and DTS will do up to 6 channels (ie 5.1) and are compressed lossy formats. They are common on DVD and AC3 is also used for 5.1 audio channel TV transmission. They can commonly be bitstreamed (ie passed through untouched) over spdif or HDMI. Passing through the untouched stream for your amplifier to decode is generally regarded as a "good thing".

HD audio refers to the newer formats like TrueHD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD. These audio formats are lossless and support more channels, eg 7.1. They are common on bluray. They will not travel over spdif. They will travel over HDMI as either LPCM or bitstreamed in their native format.

Whether your video card will pass through AC3, DTS, TrueHD or DTS-HD is a matter of the capabilities of the video card, and the drivers (eg I understand that AMD video cards will pass through HD Audio on windows but not linux, but I may be wrong). It can also be affected by how the video card manufacturer implements the video card, eg there seems some debate over which ION devices are capable of passthrough, even with the same chipset from different manufacturers.

I hope that I have all that right, and that it helps.

Quote:Seeing that it appears that 5.1 is supported (or am I wrong) how does one get this set up? Using netflix I can get 5.1 perfectly. In XBMC (newest nightlies) I am unable to get anything but stereo sound to play through. If I leave all ATV settings to auto, and XBMC settings to 5.1 Audio, through Optical, with DTS and Dolby enabled I get nothing but time code static playing either a DTS or Dolby movie. Ive tried running the optical from my TV and directly from the ATV with the same results. If I put the ATV settings to "16 bit" my receiver displays "error".

So does XBMC on ATV 2 support anything outside of stereo? And if so, is there a recommended set up?

(it's also very possibly maybe my receiver is just a cheap POS and doenst know wtf its doing - Panasonic SA-HT900 - http://www.retrevo.com/support/Panasonic...bh749/t/2/ )

Not an ATV expert sorry Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@edru looks like something with your receiver. Atv2 is supposed to work with most 5.1 receivers from within xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Audio on ATV2?0