"Volume Amplification"
I've got to crank my speakers up almost all the way to hear a song. When I play a video I can't hear anything and I notice that the "Volume Amplification" slider bar is at 0, all the way to the left. I can crank that and the sound goes up. But it is set per video. There has got to be a system wide setting for "Voluem Amplification" But I can't find it. Please direct me to this setting.
Something is wrong with your setup.

Anyways - set it and then select "Set as default for all movies" just below where you set it.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
"Something is wrong with your setup." - I wouldnt' doubt that I broke something while troubleshooting my sound card issues. How do I fix it?

"set it and then select "Set as default for all movies" just below where you set it. " - Will that fix my music sound issue as well?
If it's low volume in both music and movies then yeah, somethings wrong with your setup. My crystal ball is a little hazy on the info required to troubleshoot your system in general though.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-06-01, 01:06)ant2ne Wrote: "Something is wrong with your setup." - I wouldn't' doubt that I broke something while troubleshooting my sound card issues. How do I fix it?

"set it and then select "Set as default for all movies" just below where you set it. " - Will that fix my music sound issue as well?
You only need to troubleshoot your sound card if you have sound problems outside of xbmc...if xbmc is the only program giving you the issue then its just your xbmc settings...so try playing media with a different program and see if there is any change in sound level or quality

If the problem is specific to xbmc, then you can set the defaults of xbmc while watching a movie, here are the steps:
  1. play a movie...any movie
  2. go to the "audio and subtitle settings" menu (where the volume amplification setting is)
  3. Set the volume amplification to your desired setting
  4. Click the "set as default for all movies" button...and from now on, your movies will start with that volume amplification set
You can do some more simple troubleshooting for your computer's audio output but it would depend on your operating system...assuming you are running windows, right click your speaker icon in the taskbar by the clock, and you'll see a bunch of settings, make sure they are all optimized...or at the very least set to maximum volume.

if you think your problem is with your sound card then you can try going to the manufacturer's website and download an updated driver for it...if no updates are available you may want to un-install your sound card's driver and reinstall the driver you have...but honestly, you shouldn't need to do this unless something is very wrong with your sound card
This is an xbmc live install to hard drive. The sound on this thing never did work right. I've got another post somewhere on this forum where I couldn't get the on board sound card to work. I can't seem to find that thread though. I put a PCI sound card in and it worked but with the problems described above.

Oddly enough, this latest time I booted it up (to do the "set as default for all" thing) I'm back to having no sound again. I think maybe I need to re-install.
you might want to try out xbmcbuntu over xbmc live...that way you get the benefits of ubuntu
oh,.. sorry. I thought they were the same thing. I am using xbmcubuntu.
The soundcard volume is probably set too slow, you can change that with the XBMC audio mixer addon.
reinstalled OS and sound is back again. I then did the set for all movies thing, and then movified the audio mizer settings for the music. (In previous install, I launched the mixer and it had no controls in there) Sound is all good now. Now I gotta reconfigure my xbox remote.
unbelievable, I configured my xbox remote as outline here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1...stcount=19 anyh my sound has stopped again.
hmmm...I guess you need to post a fourm up on the ubuntu site too just to cover your bases...ive never used a remote on my ubuntu...but are you using a wired xbox controller, a wireless controller, or a xbox dvd remote?

...I wonder if the dvd remote uses a regular IR signal or the 2.5 signal
Since this topic has the most appropriate title..

Could someone tell me:

1/ Why is the 'Volume Amplification' function so weirdly designed, UI wise. I get that what you're doing is "amplify by <x> dB, then dynamically compress" thereby achieving the result, but why not just call it Dynamic Range Compression or 'Night Mode' or something since this is much clearer what it does?

2/ What is an actually good setting for this? Like most non-rich people I cant (socially) afford to have explosions boom at full volume.. I have noticed that I personally jockey my stereo from "-10dB" during quiet talking scenes to "-22dB" during asplosions, so would -12dB be a good starting point or am I misunderstanding something?
You have a good understanding of what it does, so what's the problem?
(2012-09-04, 16:01)bobo1on1 Wrote: You have a good understanding of what it does, so what's the problem?

Big Grin

Well, not really a problem, purely a suggestion to change the UI name for it ("Amplification" is the last thing someone wants if they are worried about annoying their neighbors.

My new question is a little linked to a question I put elsewhere: it looks like when using audio passthrough, it's not working. Not unexpected but also not helpful. Can XBMC decode the audio to LPCM and (after audio amplification) send it 5.1 to my receiver? I briefly tried (turned off 'amplifier supports dts/ac3') but it seems to be stereo.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Volume Amplification"0