"Volume Amplification"
To use Volume Amplification the audio must be decoded to PCM so it can be level-adjusted. Can't remember if Eden does transcode it back, but for sure you would need "AC3 compatible receiver enabled" for that to happen.

Otherwise over optical you can only get 2-channels (of PCM).

Doesn't your receiver have "night mode" or something similar?

As to the name of it, on it's own Volume Amplification describes it to a tee. It's kinda a side-effect that in conjuction with the limiter it acts as a poor-man's DRC.

For real DRC you'll either have to wait for Frodo or check your receiver.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Since some months ago, "Volume amplification" doesn't work for me (it used to work just fine). I'm using a two speakers configuration with audio output set to "Analog" and it doesn't matter if the audio output device is set to DirectSound or Wasapi. Could anyone with a similar setup confirm it?
@A600 - I can confirm it - it's not actually hooked up to anything since the AE merge.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-09-07, 15:23)DDDamian Wrote: @A600 - I can confirm it - it's not actually hooked up to anything since the AE merge.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me Smile
We will get it hooked up again, along with proper DRC Wink
Yep can conform this, seems volume amp tags are not being read, at the mo leveling is faulty wright across the board, (i hate semi hijacking a tread!) replay gain for m4a (aac in container ?)
ReplayGain is alive and kicking for any format that the tagreaders read in Eden.
Sorry DDDamian

all i was sayinging is at the mo it seems like replay gain is broken (debug available) I'm a mavrick,so (nightiles all the way!)
And a few months ago you rushed through a patch to fix replay gain (and for that i was very grateful) But at the mo if i tag mp3's with replay gain
or an m4a (aac in a mp4 container) sound levels are all over the place.

Maybe this should be another threadd?
I would like to see a log - here's fine (at least for now lol). The ReplayGain code itself is exactly the same as Eden's, all I did was re-enable the GUI settings. I use it all the time.
Debug as requested.

http://pastebin.com/kN41NfXz

As you'll see the 2 tracks i used 1 was a mp3 (test1) & the other was a m4a (test2) (aac in m4a container).
Replaygain works fine with mp3's but not with m4a's, the tracks had the replaygain applied to them using foobar2000

Heres the info from foobar:
test1: Track gain -10.40 Track peak 1.179732
test2: Track gain -11.25 Track peak 1.081866

Settings used in xbmc were use track levels,replay gained files=89.0db,non replay gained files=89.0db,avoid clipping=yes

Hope this helps
(Incidentally: while I don't mind switching back, I'm currently using an OpenElec/Frodo/AudioEngine build)

(2012-09-07, 03:01)DDDamian Wrote: To use Volume Amplification the audio must be decoded to PCM so it can be level-adjusted.
Makes sense of course. No passthrough.
Quote:Can't remember if Eden does transcode it back, but for sure you would need "AC3 compatible receiver enabled" for that to happen.
This is counter-intuitive for me. Obviously in the history of 'desktop computing', muxing 5.1 LPCM is less common than just stereo PCM but FFMPEG is quite capable of doing so, and many/most/all semi-modern HDMI endpoints (amplifiers/receivers/tvs) support multichannel LPCM. When processing audio, wrapping the endproduct into LPCM sounds the easiest on the CPU too.. Why not do this?

More specifically, my amplifier supports 7.1 multichannel, 192Khz, 24bit LPCM. Wouldn't it be amazing to decode incoming audio to the same Khz and 24bit (since upsampling is a bad idea, but upconverting is lossless, and applying processing at higher bit depth introduces less artefacts, then wrap the result in a nice package for the receiver?

Quote:Otherwise over optical you can only get 2-channels (of PCM).
Yeah thats a limit of spdif/toslink but why even consider optical in this context?

Quote:Doesn't your receiver have "night mode" or something similar?
Every AC3 capable endpoint has a night mode. It's a requirement for being able to carry the AC3 label. My beef with AC3 is that I don't want to decode lossy to "lossless" and then re-encode it with another pass of lossy.

Quote:As to the name of it, on it's own Volume Amplification describes it to a tee. It's kinda a side-effect that in conjuction with the limiter it acts as a poor-man's DRC.

Oh.. OK, so I do have Frodo now .. but.. no sign of it? =)
(2012-09-10, 11:15)buges Wrote: Replaygain works fine with mp3's but not with m4a's

Still have to review logs, but that's the tag reader for m4a then - not really part of AE, but fill out a Trac ticket so it's logged and it should get taken care of eventually. If AE gets the info it applies it, as you see with mp3. I vaguely remember a pull request for some tag reader improvements but not sure if that was addressed in the PR.

(2012-09-10, 14:52)puntloos Wrote: More specifically, my amplifier supports 7.1 multichannel, 192Khz, 24bit LPCM. Wouldn't it be amazing to decode incoming audio to the same Khz and 24bit (since upsampling is a bad idea, but upconverting is lossless, and applying processing at higher bit depth introduces less artefacts, then wrap the result in a nice package for the receiver?

Even more amazing to just ouput it as-is. Remember you are talking about your specific requirements. We have to please as many as possible (ourselves especially lol), and very few have the above who do not also have DTS-MA/TrueHD. So it's a small subset. It is planned at some point to have a "play-everything-maxed-out" mode which will upconvert and upsample everything to the best your device can handle, but that's more for seemless gapless music playback than what you propose. And it won't be until after Frodo final - there's only a few more features to be added - the rest is bug-fixes until then.

(2012-09-10, 14:52)puntloos Wrote: Every AC3 capable endpoint has a night mode. It's a requirement for being able to carry the AC3 label. My beef with AC3 is that I don't want to decode lossy to "lossless" and then re-encode it with another pass of lossy.

Can't blame you - i wouldn't want to either. Why would you need to with good hardware??

DDDamian Wrote:As to the name of it, on it's own Volume Amplification describes it to a tee. It's kinda a side-effect that in conjuction with the limiter it acts as a poor-man's DRC.

puntloos Wrote:Oh.. OK, so I do have Frodo now .. but.. no sign of it? =)

You don't have Frodo - it isn't out yet. You have the work in progress which will be Frodo if we don't have to answer too many posts.
(2012-09-11, 04:38)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 14:52)puntloos Wrote: More specifically, my amplifier supports 7.1 multichannel, 192Khz, 24bit LPCM. Wouldn't it be amazing to decode incoming audio to the same Khz and 24bit (since upsampling is a bad idea, but upconverting is lossless, and applying processing at higher bit depth introduces less artefacts, then wrap the result in a nice package for the receiver?

Even more amazing to just ouput it as-is. Remember you are talking about your specific requirements. We have to please as many as possible (ourselves especially lol), and very few have the above who do not also have DTS-MA/TrueHD. So it's a small subset.
Actually, my receiver supports everything, TrueHD, DTS-MA 192/24 etc. My goal is not trying to bend you guys into building something thats only useful for me, but in fact to build what is I believe is objectively the best for everybody Shocked - please allow me to explain and hopefully convince you =)

My request comes purely from the observation that the very useful DRC, volume and equalization controls don't work in many situations and counter-intuitively, sound quality improves too by using LPCM. By this I mean both gapless playback, as well as actual objective sound quality (yes, really, I will explain).

LPCM is the magic bullet Wink

First of all though, I realize there are 4 potential meta-downsides to implementing LPCM

1. Quality Loss Due to Processing
    -> While undeniably true if you're being very picky (and as an audiophile, I typically am.. ), 16 bits sources can be upconverted to 24bit without any quality loss, and at 24bit, applying simple volume attenuation will arguably cause only inaudible quality loss anyway. Of course this assumes you don't downconvert back to 16, but if a receiver supports LPCM, it usually supports 24bits.
    -> If you do not DRC or attenuate or equalize, there is completely no quality loss.
  2. CPU Cost
    -> This one I don't know that much about, but in "most" current XBMC systems video decoding is hardware accelerated anyway, so I imagine that most systems have enough CPU headroom to decode, especially since there is no need to do much work encoding (I imagine wrapping raw LPCM is a fairly lightweight process compared to applying lossy compression like AC3/DTS.).
  3. Programming Cost
    -> Yes I am aware that you guys are busy, so I'm not claiming this should be your #1 priority, but when it comes to "Return on Investment", this one is pretty good: FFMpeg can already everything out of the box, all that is needed (I know... I know.. speaking as a non-contributor - my coding days are way behind me - this is easy for me to say) is to wire it up the right way. On the returns side though, major benefits as listed above. DRC, Volume and audio quality.
  4. Loss of some flexibility when selecting audio streams
    -> Not familiar enough with the internals, but XBMC already has OSD language controls, so yeah the user should use these. In the background, ideally only strip out the selected audio stream and postprocess that, and pass other language streams etc unchanged so the user could even use the receivers language selector too if he really wants to.

Quote:It is planned at some point to have a "play-everything-maxed-out" mode which will upconvert and upsample
NOOOO. Do not upsample.
Monty - The lead coder of Vorbis on why 192/24 is lower quality than 44/16

Ultrasonics are nasty.

That said, purely from a usability perspective I would say that the ideal configuration page would allow the user to:

1/ Be able to specify it's receiver's specs. This is 95% done.
2/ Turn on or off postprocessing. Either XBMC would work to delivery bit-precise, as the movie soundman intended to your receiver, or enable volume control, DRC, equalization in all cases that are feasible (I think there's no DTS-MA software decoder yet?).

From these settings, XBMC can determine the ideal output.

In my opinion what people actually don't realize (given my LPCM points) is that in many cases, delivering LPCM to a receiver is actually preferable to delivering the encoded format. Bitstreaming is purely a buzzword that people want without good reason. Ooh. the pretty TrueHD light on my receiver is lit! R0x0rz!

Instead, in the real world, FFMpeg is getting better every day, while your receiver's decoder is usually fixed in time. By now, I have little doubt that FFMpeg is better at decoding AC3 than my 5 year old receiver, and pairing that with the fact that enabling high-frequency components (i.e. 'decoders') inside the receiver generates extra EM fields right next to your analog amplifier, that can easily be transferred into your analog audio signal. Negligible? Perhaps, but if you are pretending to be an audiophile, these minute details actually favor LPCM =)

As a note about legacy receivers, and personal choice, these options might be useful
  • Postprocess, then encode to AC3
    -> Given that as I said AC3 decoders HAVE to support night mode, it might be an idea to transcode everything to high-bitrate AC3 and then have the night mode on your receiver work (presumably some people like to use their receiver's remote..)
  • Postprocess, then encode to DTS
    -> If receivers don't support LPCM, then DTS is better than AC3 (quality-wise) and they still get to have DRC and Volume through the XBMC postprocessing

Quote:everything to the best your device can handle, but that's more for seemless gapless music playback than what you propose.
Yeah gapless is just one of the side benefits of my proposal Wink

While I'm at it allow me to suggest the right approach to user messaging and feature discoverability (can you guess what my daytime job is? Wink )
  • Postprocessing on/off
    -> Default it to on. You gain gapless for free and I hope I've convinced you there is no quality loss if you do, as long as you don't actually enable DRC and volume.
    -> The first time the user hits the volume or DRC button, pop up a one-time dialog explaining the quality implications and explain to the user he/she shouldn't care because XBMC is so amazing =)
  • Night Mode / DRC
    -> Default to off but since it would work in most cases, feature it prominently on the interface!
  • CPU overload
    -> XBMC can probably fairly easily work out if the audio postprocessing is possibly causing the CPU to run out of steam. If CPU > 95% postprocessing is on then pop up a message suggesting turning it off if the user is noticing hiccups
  • Upsampling
    -> Don't include it. It is NEVER an improvement. One can argue about processing TrueHD at 192Khz versus downsampling which would possibly improve quality and definitely improve CPU usage.

Quote:And it won't be until after Frodo final - there's only a few more features to be added - the rest is bug-fixes until then.
Motion to include my suggestion as one of those few features. =)

Quote:
(2012-09-10, 14:52)puntloos Wrote: Every AC3 capable endpoint has a night mode. It's a requirement for being able to carry the AC3 label. My beef with AC3 is that I don't want to decode lossy to "lossless" and then re-encode it with another pass of lossy.

Can't blame you - i wouldn't want to either. Why would you need to with good hardware??
Agreed. I want the benefits of processing without the downsides. Hence LPCM =)

Quote:You don't have Frodo - it isn't out yet. You have the work in progress which will be Frodo if we don't have to answer too many posts.
Nicely put Wink

Hope the above all makes sense, and I didn't waste much of your time, but as you can imagine it probably took me more time to write this than for you to read it.
It is my firm belief from my microelectronics, computer science background that my proposed solution is the theoretically optimal situation, and I hope I've made a coherent point that implementing it is actually worth your while.
System: Kodi on NVidia Shield 2015
Video: Panasonic AE3000 Projector / Samsung 46" LCD
Audio: Quad 2912 on Nord DM500Up with Marantz 7010 receiver.
(2012-09-11, 15:07)puntloos Wrote: (can you guess what my daytime job is? Wink )

Typing?

Seriously:
1) I'm well-aware of upsampling/artifacting
2) I'm well-aware of DRC, volume scaling, bit depths
3) We do not use ffmpeg for all you describe, we use internal code too
4) I'm well-aware of the various codecs and their advantages/disadvantages
5) The GUI design and indeed AE design is a team effort and a team decision

Some of the points you raise are very good, although not new or original. They're already on my plan (along with many other's wishes, and my own and that of other devs).

I don't mean to diss your post at all - but you coulda just said "hey, can we get straight LPCM?". Which you can Wink

I'll reiterate: there's a couple more features to be added before feature freeze, and multiple issues to fix for Frodo final. Once that rolls we'll be looking at some other things including AE/GUI/settings/setup changes and some other points you brought up. Already ahead of you mate.
(2012-09-11, 15:55)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-09-11, 15:07)puntloos Wrote: (can you guess what my daytime job is? Wink )

Typing?

Seriously:
1) I'm well-aware of upsampling/artifacting
2) I'm well-aware of DRC, volume scaling, bit depths
3) We do not use ffmpeg for all you describe, we use internal code too
4) I'm well-aware of the various codecs and their advantages/disadvantages
5) The GUI design and indeed AE design is a team effort and a team decision

Some of the points you raise are very good, although not new or original. They're already on my plan (along with many other's wishes, and my own and that of other devs).

I don't mean to diss your post at all - but you coulda just said "hey, can we get straight LPCM?". Which you can Wink

I'll reiterate: there's a couple more features to be added before feature freeze, and multiple issues to fix for Frodo final. Once that rolls we'll be looking at some other things including AE/GUI/settings/setup changes and some other points you brought up. Already ahead of you mate.

All good, keep up the good work then Wink I was being verbose purely to avoid a drawn-out to-and-fro.

(and aww.. my point of in-receiver processing causing noise was nicely esotheric, are you saying you've actually heard that one before?)

System: Kodi on NVidia Shield 2015
Video: Panasonic AE3000 Projector / Samsung 46" LCD
Audio: Quad 2912 on Nord DM500Up with Marantz 7010 receiver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Volume Amplification"0