[Request] Sort video library by language
It just occured to me that with MKVs being so easy to package multiple audio streams into one video file...it is very easy to have 1 movie with like 5 languages available via audio streams...I'm thinking, XBMC should have the option to sort a Movie library by audio steams(in a similar way that the library can be sorted by genres)...this would require 2 things:
  1. properly tagged audio streams (dependent on the user)
  2. the ability for XBMC to read avalible audio tags and sort them accordingly
This could also be extended for sorting videos by 5.1, 7.1, or really any type of audio stream...I personally think this would be a really convenient feature, and it seems like something that could be implemented.

Let me know what you guys think
+1 for that.
I could really use that as I have movies with german and/or english and it is a bitch to sort them manually.
also its disappointing to wanna watch a film and then see that its in the wrong language (for the current audience).
please include that feeature!
Did you find any solution to sort movies by languages?
Not really, I'm sure the skinners know a non official work around...but i would like to see this in the main build. Im just a lazy American and im sure the rest of the world wants this even more than I do.
+1

I am French and I have a lot a French friends who do not understand other languages.
I mainly watch movies and series in English.
Since there is no way to display or filter by available language(s), my actual (shitty) work around was to create 2 folders, 2 sources, 2 scrappers.
I had go through all my files, use a tool to detect the languages, create simlinks for each movie containing french language in the dedicated folder.
Now I have a lot of movies twice, that's really not perfect at all.
To see which movies have french language, I have to go to Videos / Files / Dedicated French rep.
Then it plays with my default language, not always french so I have to change it...

What would be great is the option for audio to be : scrapper's language, I'll create a dedicated thread for that
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Android TV
(2015-07-22, 10:08)jeffjoker Wrote: +1

I am French and I have a lot a French friends who do not understand other languages.
Since there is no way to display or filter by available language(s), my actual (shitty) work around was to create 2 folders, 2 sources, 2 scrappers.
I had go through all my files, use a tool to detect the languages, create simlinks for each movie containing french language in the dedicated folder.
To see which movies have french language, I have to go to Videos / Files / Dedicated French rep.
Then it plays with my default language, not always french so I have to change it...

What would be great is the option for audio to be : scrapper's language, I'll create a dedicated thread for that

Hello,

Sorting by audio language is totally doable when targeting movies or tv shows with smart playlist, if files are correctly identified...
Or, if you want to do keep your 2 folder structure, still by leveraging smart playlists, you could filter items contains French in the path name.

In any case, you would have to create 2 smart playlists, one that will point to your french content, the other one that will exclude it.
Any modern skin is customizable to point to smart playlists, so we could imagine menus or submenus to point to "VO" and "VF" library views (no need yo use the file view). I did something similar to split my anime from my main tv shows.
(2015-07-29, 13:02)oFredo Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 10:08)jeffjoker Wrote: +1

Hello,

Sorting by audio language is totally doable when targeting movies or tv shows with smart playlist, if files are correctly identified...
Or, if you want to do keep your 2 folder structure, still by leveraging smart playlists, you could filter items contains French in the path name.

In any case, you would have to create 2 smart playlists, one that will point to your french content, the other one that will exclude it.
Any modern skin is customizable to point to smart playlists, so we could imagine menus or submenus to point to "VO" and "VF" library views (no need yo use the file view). I did something similar to split my anime from my main tv shows.
That works only for movies or entire seasons. If you have a season with only x episodes with a language you can't solve it without separating the database using 2 profiles.. I tried to find a solution but I ended up splitting the database with 2 profiles and 2 separate paths but it's not a great solution
...I realise that this thread is pretty old, but I would like to bump it again.

Is there a way to sort or at least search for the movie language in my video library?

Most of my Movies I ripped from my dvd collection and therefore the language could be read from the mkv file. Also the folder and filename contain the language "Johnny English [2003 eng, ger]"

I could create a new Tag but I would have to add all the movies by hand. Can this be automated somehow?

Better would be another category (apart from genre, title, year...) that gets populated with the correct language.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Best regards,
Christian.
I see this is old thread. But still I can't find solution in my KODI media center.
Is that really so minor problem for Kodi community? What about other countries users than English speaking? French, German, Spanish, Czech, Polish, Asia...... 

I'm really missing an option to select the only movies with my native language. The best could be to allow kodi insert language by the file/folder suffix like
C:\MOVIES\Avatar (2009) [EN,FR,ES,CZ]\Avatar.avi

(Second my problem related to regionality I will try to find out here in forum is English names for my native movies . For example. Medem's movie Lucia y el Sexo is shown like Sex and Lucia.
Try smart playlists.

You DO need to have your files correctly named (tagged, in this case a filetag).

eg: My great movie.spa.eng.ger.mkv

You can then create a smart playlist using 'filename contains .spa.', and all movies with spanisch audio/subs (that have this filetag), will show up in the playlist.
Add-on : Bluray iso utils Rewrite of BR_iso_enhancements
Add-on : BR_iso_Enhancements Give theatrical & directors cut from the same bluray iso each their own library entry, use bluray iso's of tv shows as if they are already ripped.
(2018-01-07, 10:29)drahousek Wrote: Is that really so minor problem for Kodi community?
No, doesn't seem to be a problem. Why not just create a playlist and sort by audio track. Not hard to do. Of course, you need to ensure your video files have been created so that it names each audio track correctly

If that does not work for you, then consider adding some code to Kodi.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thank you Wimpie and Karellen. I will more study smart playlists. That seems powerful. Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Request] Sort video library by language0