Setting up an UnRaid Server - Step by Step from a newbies standpoint
(2012-06-01, 17:28)Steini Wrote: #2 - no you can run it on the free version
You can absolutely run those programs on the free version - be it on the unraid stick (very bad idea), on a data drive (less bad idea), a drive mounted outside the array, or even another usb

or for the brave a virtualbox vm running *nix.
Great job...UnRaid RC 5.04 came out on 6-5-12. So that is what I used, I am stuck on the preclear. I can use the preclear command and see the drives (/boot/preclear_disk.sh -l). However when I try to do the preclear any of drives (/boot/preclear_disk.sh -A /dev/hdb) the monitor just looks at me and I only get the prompt? Any ideas?
FIXED! I had to go the UnRaid Forum and look at the original post. Forgot to change to: cd /boot , then I needed to preclear_disk.sh /dev/XXX . Somehow I did not need to put the -A.
(2012-06-01, 05:11)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2012-06-01, 04:48)spencers Wrote:
(2012-06-01, 03:41)poofyhairguy Wrote: I am also not a big fan on sick/sab/couch/headphones/MySQL on an Unraid box either. I much prefer running those programs from my primary HTPC.

Going to have to disagree with that. Running sab/SB/CP on my unRAID box has made my HTPC (Acer Revo 1600) infinitely more stable.

Hmmmm. Ok I will take my earlier statement back- I guess an ION box can't do it. My current machine that does that stuff is an ancient AMD x2 (the lowest end model when they first came out) so it can't take that much power in general though.

ya gonna have to disagree w/u too poofy. allowing the unraid box to handle sab/sb/cp has meant i can use some pretty shitty hardware (like the ER1401) to amazing effect in terms of a HTPC. it also means only one machine needs to be powered on at all times. i've moved flats and homes with the unraid box and literally its plug+play. no messing about, sab, sb, cp all work flawlessly off it straight away. if it were on separate machines, i could imagine it getting a bit sticky. i use a cache drive simply due to the fact i run sab/sb etc. had no problems and it was a shitty 250gb maxtor i had lieing about so good to recycle it.

to any ppl making a HTPC setup, UNRAID + CAT5E + sab + SB + CP is pretty god damn amazing.

im on unraid 4.3 and will probably not update until sab stops working (hopefully never). it does everything i need it to do on very crap hardware.
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
(2012-06-12, 10:22)aoaaron Wrote: ya gonna have to disagree w/u too poofy. allowing the unraid box to handle sab/sb/cp has meant i can use some pretty shitty hardware (like the ER1401) to amazing effect in terms of a HTPC. it also means only one machine needs to be powered on at all times. i've moved flats and homes with the unraid box and literally its plug+play. no messing about, sab, sb, cp all work flawlessly off it straight away. if it were on separate machines, i could imagine it getting a bit sticky. i use a cache drive simply due to the fact i run sab/sb etc. had no problems and it was a shitty 250gb maxtor i had lieing about so good to recycle it.

I can see that. I guess for me it is different because:

1. I can't make a HTPC based on lessor hardware- each of mine has the power to decode on the CPU for future-proofing if needed (things like 10 bit show why).

2. I have two Unraid servers so picking one to be the main one would be trouble.

3. I like having the ability to update the apps easily. Sick does by default on Unraid but sab needs apt-get to easily upgrade.

4. I always leave my main HTPC on. Waking from sleep adds a time delay and complication my wife won't tolerate.

5. You really need a cache drive to do it and I hate sacrificing a storage bay.

Each to their own I guess.

(2012-06-12, 17:51)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2012-06-12, 10:22)aoaaron Wrote: ya gonna have to disagree w/u too poofy. allowing the unraid box to handle sab/sb/cp has meant i can use some pretty shitty hardware (like the ER1401) to amazing effect in terms of a HTPC. it also means only one machine needs to be powered on at all times. i've moved flats and homes with the unraid box and literally its plug+play. no messing about, sab, sb, cp all work flawlessly off it straight away. if it were on separate machines, i could imagine it getting a bit sticky. i use a cache drive simply due to the fact i run sab/sb etc. had no problems and it was a shitty 250gb maxtor i had lieing about so good to recycle it.

I can see that. I guess for me it is different because:

1. I can't make a HTPC based on lessor hardware- each of mine has the power to decode on the CPU for future-proofing if needed (things like 10 bit show why).

2. I have two Unraid servers so picking one to be the main one would be trouble.

3. I like having the ability to update the apps easily. Sick does by default on Unraid but sab needs apt-get to easily upgrade.

4. I always leave my main HTPC on. Waking from sleep adds a time delay and complication my wife won't tolerate.

5. You really need a cache drive to do it and I hate sacrificing a storage bay.

Each to their own I guess.

SSD?
That would work if you got a large enough one. Personally I think anything under 120gb is too small unless you are going to check it often (and clean out messed up/unprocessable downloads).

mr.sparkle
How do you install the htpc trinity (sab/sb/cp) on a mounted unraid drive that's not part of the array? Is it via resierf? Sorry, im not a linux guru and and unfamiliar with some of the lingo/syntax.. Im preclearing my 4th drive and am about to buy the unRaid license but was wondering if I could use a drive unprotected by parity to do the meat of the lifting then transfer every night to the array while I sleep, similar to a cache drive?

thanks
(2012-06-15, 02:27)jamesk9 Wrote: mr.sparkle
How do you install the htpc trinity (sab/sb/cp) on a mounted unraid drive that's not part of the array? Is it via resierf? Sorry, im not a linux guru and and unfamiliar with some of the lingo/syntax.. Im preclearing my 4th drive and am about to buy the unRaid license but was wondering if I could use a drive unprotected by parity to do the meat of the lifting then transfer every night to the array while I sleep, similar to a cache drive?

thanks

Just set it as the cache drive. Install them on the cache drive. There is a tutorial somewhere on the Unraid forums.
I am only using this as server replacement (was sharing on win7 box) because my collection grew to large and seeing small head ends like WDTV live or Boxee constantly dropping shares and listening to my wife about it, finally became too much to live with...lol. However, I have some questions about this setup.

1. I will be able to scrap (I like metabrowser), set graphics and transfer files whenever I wish from my regular office/admin system…correct?

2. If I don't DL torrents of any kind and only use webDL's (itunes) and /or direct rips from disc, is there any need for sab/sb/cp?

Below is a list of the hardware I use now and the build for the server, please let me know if this is all good or if I will need to change something around?

System Hardware:

Server:
Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3, Intel i3-540, 4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 (running at 1333), PCP&C 750 EPS 12v Quad PS, SanDisk 8GB Cruzer Fit, 5 x WD-AV 2TB (WD20EURS) Hard Drives, 1 installed but room for 3 Icy Dock 5in3 (MB455 SPF), custom 9 5.25” external drive bay case. (was Win7 Pro x64, but...)

Theater:
HTPC: Asus P8H67M Pro, Intel i5-2400k, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600, LG 12x BD-R, WD Blue 640GB, Corsair TX750, Windows 7 Ultra x64, Lian-li PC-C33B
System: Denon AVR3313CI, LG 65LM6200, LG BP620, 7x JBL S Series (2x S-38, 4x S-36, 1x S-Center) 2x Klipsch RS-62, 2x Klipsch SW-112 Sub-Woofers

Office/Admin System:
Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P, Intel Q9650 Quad, 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333, EVGA GTX285 1GB SC, 2x WD640GB (WD6402AAEX) Hard Drives, LG 12x BD-RE, Win7 Pro x64, 2x ASUS 25.5” LCD Monitors, Logitech G15 keyboard, G5 Mouse, Z-680 5.1 THX Digital Surround speaker system & AK570 USB Mic. (my old gaming system…lol).

Office #2: Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L, Intel C2D 8400, 2GB Corsair DDR2 800, WD 640 Black Sata 2 Hard Drive, ATI/AMD 1GB 5760 PCI-e Video card, Asus DVD-R, Corsair CX500 Power Supply, Win7 Pro x64, Asus 25.5 LCD monitor.

Bedroom:
WDTV Live, Toshiba 37” 1080p LCD

Family Room:
Boxee, 42” Visio 1080p 3D LED

http://icedragonslair.com/images/New_Toy.jpg
unRAID 6.6.6 Pro 64TB AZZA Helios 910, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H/ Intel i5-4460, 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Series DDR3 1833, EVGA 1050G Supernova PS, 4 x iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS Cages, 2 x SUPERMICRO 8-Port Controllers, 2 x WD 4TB (PARITY 1&2), 10 x WD 4TB (ARRAY), 6 x WD 3TB (ARRAY), 3 x WD 2TB (ARRAY), 1 x EVO 240GB SSD (CACHE), 1 x CRUZER FIT, AVR-x3400H, LG-UBK80, QLED 6f
(2012-09-17, 19:50)icedragonslair Wrote: 1. I will be able to scrap (I like metabrowser), set graphics and transfer files whenever I wish from my regular office/admin system…correct?

2. If I don't DL torrents of any kind and only use webDL's (itunes) and /or direct rips from disc, is there any need for sab/sb/cp?

Below is a list of the hardware I use now and the build for the server, please let me know if this is all good or if I will need to change something around?

System Hardware:

Server:
Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3, Intel i3-540, 4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 (running at 1333), PCP&C 750 EPS 12v Quad PS, SanDisk 8GB Cruzer Fit, 5 x WD-AV 2TB (WD20EURS) Hard Drives, 1 installed but room for 3 Icy Dock 5in3 (MB455 SPF), custom 9 5.25” external drive bay case. (was Win7 Pro x64, but...)

http://icedragonslair.com/images/New_Toy.jpg

For your two questions, I will try to help.

1. I am not sure what this system does. The office/admin system. But, you should be able to update the library of xbmc at anytime regardless of the system you use, just as long as it is connected to the shares that store your files.

2. No. If you aren't downloading torrents or from usenet, then SAB, CP and SB will not be needed or used.

As for the hardware, the specs seem fine, but I am not going to look up each part and confirm. There are many guides on here that should let you know if what you have is compatible. The CPU and RAM will be more than enough for simply storing files. Just confirm the flash drive is compatible or recommended for unraid and you should be good to go.

(2012-09-17, 19:50)icedragonslair Wrote: System Hardware:

Server:

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to update to make sure people were aware: Some Gigabyte boards have HPA and if you don't disable it there can be issues with unRAID.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...otherboard
Quote:NOTE: If you own or are considering a Gigabyte board, you need to be aware of the HPA issue. If it is possible, it is highly recommended to update to the latest BIOS of your Gigabyte board and disable the option to backup the BIOS to the hard drive.
I know this is an older post but I am hoping you can still help me. I am currently setting up my UNRAID media server and your instructions have been very helpful. Two questions though. Can I use unraid while drives are preclearing? Also, how did you share your flash drive?
Yes you can use your current array that don't include the drives that are preclearing.

If you look on your network or go to smb://tower you should be able to select the flash drive and mount from there. All discs in the array plus the flash drive are available just like the SMB shares you have set up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up an UnRaid Server - Step by Step from a newbies standpoint0