Alien Quadrilogy file naming question
I'm fairly new to XBMC and I've done some searching on this issue to no avail, but I'm thinking someone must have had this problem and solved it already. I'm using TheMovieDB scraper. In the Alien Quadrilogy box set, each of the disks (the odd-numbered ones) has two versions of each movie. The first disk has the original 1986 theatrical version and the 2003 remastered. I tried naming them "Alien (1986)/Alien (1986).mkv" and "Alien (2003)/Alien (2003).mkv". The '86 scraped just fine but the '03 was identified as "Alien God". I tried changing them to "Alien I (1986) [etc]..." and again the '86 was identified properly but the '03 came up as "Alien Hunter". I searched on TheMovieDb.org website but didn't see the different versions listed. I'd be happy to add to the db, but I doubt I'm the first XBMC user to have this particular box set. Has anyone run into this? Should I add "Theatrical"/"Remaster" to the file and folder names maybe? Thanks!
Have it be scraped as Alien (1986) then rename the title from the context menu within XBMC to show it as the 2003 remastered version.
Hey, there's an idea! Thanks!
Personally, I leave all my movies in the original names "Alien (1986)"...I wouldn't change the year cause it wasn't made in 2003, it was just sold in 2003 and I never use the remastered tags cause I just assume all my videos are as high quality/extended/directors cut/remastered as I can get...althou it would be cool if xbmc could read those tags and display that as a metadata tag.

PS, you could always use a thumbnail that says "remastered" on it...you might have to add the thumbnail yourself but might be worth it
But it is a different - if only slightly different - film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(film...or.27s_Cut. So it's not JUST a remastering of the 1986 movie.
On the wikipedia site you shared...it says very clearly that it is not a unique film (which is why it is in the "Home video releases" and not the "Sequels" paragraph), its a different release with 4 minutes of deleted scenes...its still the original 1986 film and those 4 minutes of deleted scenes were still filmed in 1986

PS...the 1986 film you are talking about is "Aliens" not Alien...Alien was made in 1979
I maintain that it is unique because some footage was taken out and other footage inserted; four minutes added and five taken out, ending up one minute shorter than the original. Again, a very small change, but still a change, more so than just, say, remastering audio. But for the purposes of listing it in XBMC, I'm looking at them as files, each with different content.

And you're right about the date. I had 1986 on the brain because that's the one Handbrake was processing when I left for work this morning.
I guess its just a question of semantics...but they re-release soo many different versions of the same film so often...it would be impossible to keep up with them all...so unless you have both the theatrical release and the remastered version (which seems a bit redundant to me) it doesn't matter too much as long as it makes sense to you...but I doubt this will be the last release of Alien
Yes, I would just edit the title in the context menu. I have that boxset too but just left with standard naming. On the other hand, I have both the theatrical and extended editions of LoTR boxsets, and for those I edited the title in XBMC, and made a different movieset with different posters.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alien Quadrilogy file naming question0