Bang-for-buck Mini PC for browser-based media streaming
I recently got tired of watching movies (I mainly watch flash-based video streams via browser but also digital copies) via my mid-2010 iMac which I have connected to my HD Ready (1080p/24p supported) Sony LCD-TV (serving as extended desktop). I do have Chromecast but streaming anything that doesn't have a Chromecast-supported app is not the best experience. I decided I wanted a dedicated mini PC that I would connect to the Sony-TV and that I would then use to stream videos via browser etc. My criteria are:
Budget under 450 dollars
Energy-efficient and silent (so it can be used in the nighttime with people sleeping in the same room)
Powerful enough to handle HD flash streams (I don't need 4K) and futureproof enough to do so after 4-5 years (I rarely buy new electronics)
I first took a look at those Atom-based "chinese wonders" and also the up 'n' coming Intel Compute Stick but while cheap and capable of running 1080p, they seemed unreliable and otherwise slow (an usability issue). Then I came across the Intel NUCs which seem all quality. I thought about getting a Broadwell i3-NUC with 8Gb and a 128Gb M.2 SSD (and try it out with the latest Windows 10 Preview). This would just fit into my budget.

However, I then thought about the fact that apparently today's Celeron-processors can handle 1080p and that maybe I could save 30-50%, settle for a less powerful mini PC and have the same video performance with a more or less notable hit in overall usability. Along came the Asus Chromebox with its simple and automated Chrome OS. The i3-version would cost almost the same as the NUC-alternative, but the Celeron-model runs for just half of my budget. However, the problem with Chrome OS seems to be the lack of support concerning formats and plugins: it can handle the basic mp4s and flash streams but what about those formats (such as flv) or those plugins such as Silverlight.

Right now, I'm tempted to get the i3 NUC but, being a student and all, I would hate to spend money I don't have to. Advice would be appreciated!

One final thing... I did dream about finding a cheap mini PC that would also enable me to play Arkham Knight and thus save me from buying a PS4 for the sake of one game in the future, but considering my criteria, it's not possible. And you're not playing that game with Intel integrated graphics.
Try something like the HP Stream Mini since its a windows version of a chromebox and has similar hardware to the celeron based chromboxes.
a celeron ChromeBox running Ubuntu (eg) would seem to fit the bill
Are you sure Matt? IMHO a celeron chromebox running ChromeOS fits the bill better, because if you are just interested in using the browser, then nothing beats ChromeOS. You never have to think about updates or viruses and it'll be just as fast in 10 years time. Also, gpu acceleration isn't enabled for any Linux browsers yet, so 1080p24 html5 is is riiiight at the edge what the celeron can decode without gpu assist, (you will get stuttering now and then) and only when using youtube. No guarantee that other sites like Vimeo etc will work @ 1080p) and flash videos? Forget about it.

But with ChromeOS, all these videos run like butter.
..and who cares about silverlight. That tech is more or less dead.
It sounds as the Chromebox with dual-boot would be a good choice. There is a FLV player for Chrome, anyhow, there are options it seems.

Also look into the Zotac Zbox BI320, there is a thread of it. Another good choice with Windows besides the HP Mini. Which BTW both have some threads out there with plenty of good info.

Silverlight! I forgot it existed... Big Grin

Bottom line, there are options under $200. I wouldn't spend more than that for a Media player. With the $250 left, very soon you might be able to afford the PS4
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-05-08, 02:13)Soli Wrote: Are you sure Matt? IMHO a celeron chromebox running ChromeOS fits the bill better, because if you are just interested in using the browser, then nothing beats ChromeOS.

right, but we're on the Kodi forums, so thinking in the context of an OS that runs Kodi Smile

(2015-05-08, 02:36)shabuboy Wrote: It sounds as the Chromebox with dual-boot would be a good choice.

the logistical challenges of dual booting ChromeOS (requiring keyboard input at boot) make it hard for me to recommend as a viable option
But if he's using it mostly as browser based eintertainment center, then the keyboard and mouse would be connected at all times anyways.. :p (just make sure to get a wireless keyboard works at boot time)
Thank you for your input. I don't necessarily want to go the Ubuntu/Linux -route but to stick with Windows or Chrome OS. I have enough devices that I need to use my tech-know-how so I'd like the 'entertainment PC' to be as simple as possible (as in no terminals and sudo commands or anything I cannot do with a few clicks of a mouse or a touchpad).

I was looking at the HP Stream Mini for a while but it's out-of-stock a lot and I'd have to import it to my location which would ruin it being a steal. It seems that the only mini PC, apart from those cheap 'chinese wonders', I could import and end up saving money when compared to the prices of my location is the i3 Asus Chromebox: in my location it costs 435 dollars at the cheapest whereas ordering it from Amazon.com it would cost 345 dollars.

So I guess my choices are A) Broadwell i3 NUC with Windows for 450-500 dollars, B) i3 Chromebox from Amazon.com for 345 dollars or C) Celeron Chromebox for around 225 dollars. The thing about the Celeron Chromebox is that while the Chrome OS demands less of the system than Windows, I still fear that streaming 1080p flash video would make the Celeron and thus the fan max out which would cause noise and maybe even lag. And if it's just between A and B, I have to ask myself if it's worth 100-150 dollars to get an OS that will play absolute anything I throw at it (Windows). Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Chrome OS on paper (sounds so easy and I would mainly use the Chrome browser anyway) but the scenario where I buy Chromebox and then slowly start noticing that things it cannot do because of lack of apps and plugins would suck. I guess I could just use my iMac in those instances and use Chromecast to stream problematic formats to my TV although that was exactly what got me to want to buy a mini PC in the first place.
Go with celeron Chromebox. Your doubts are unfounded, it will stream anything on the web. Flash is accelerated in ChromeOS, so no worries. There is no advantage of getting an i3 chromebox.
A Zotac BI320 barebones kit with a 64gb ssd and 4gbs of ram should be cheap enough as well. Needs to be a 2.5" SSd since the barebones model is missing the mSATA connector that the windows 8.1 with bing version has.
Here is a little test for you on your iMac with the Chrome Browser.....
Open it up and drag any files types you think will be a problem into it.
I bet it will play virtually everything apart from HEVC (H265) stuff.

and speaking of HEVC, I would suggest if looking at an i3 Chromebox (Haswell) a consideration would be to get the next generation of Broadwell CPU for a similar price. That being the 2 GHz Intel Core i3-5005U that has 5th gen Intel HD 5500 graphics and will do Hybrid HEVC decoding.
a $255 MSI Cubi mini-desktop is such a device...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223406

Or you could wait because Intel Skylake tech will likely appear in less than two months and all before it will be obsolete.

Meaning it in the nicest way possible, it sounds as you have convinced yourself the need to spend around $350+ for your system regardless of the feedback and suggestions provided. Trust me, nothing wrong with your decision...

Cool
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-05-09, 22:41)shabuboy Wrote: Meaning it in the nicest way possible, it sounds as you have convinced yourself the need to spend around $350+ for your system regardless of the feedback and suggestions provided. Trust me, nothing wrong with your decision...

I know what you mean but, trust me, I'm just being thorough. I do recognize that the popular opinion is that even though Celeron processors have a certain negative stigma, especially for those who remember when they first arrived, they have enough processing power to enable streaming of 1080p flash video without choppiness. However, you always have to remember that a number of those people might assume that you renew your equipment every other year (try at least 4-5 years in my case). Moreover, a number of people might say that Celerons offer plenty but their 'plenty' might mean 'just barely' which just doesn't cut it, especially after 4 years. Take my iMac mid-2010 which has 3,6Ghz Intel i5 CPU with Turbo Boost, 8 gigs of RAM and a dedicated ATI video card with 512Mb. I've recently noticed that when I stream NBA clips via Chrome from NBA.com, there appears some choppiness. That's probably because these clips are in such a high resolution that my iMacs maxing out. So while Celerons of today (or actually last year concerning Chromebox) might be better than my iMac's CPU, my example just goes to show you that you do need some processing power when the video quality goes higher and higher.

Anyway, I've decided to save money and go with an Asus Chromebox. However, I am heavily leaning towards the i3 version which I can get from Amazon.com and import to my location and save about 100 dollars when compared to the prices in my location. I am tempted to hear reason and get the Celeron model for a 100 dollars less but I have read user comments where they have said that minor lagging starts to appear when you have a few tabs open and stream a more demanding video. As this mini PC will be my primary source of watching films and series (streaming via Chrome) so I certainly want to 'just barely' stream anything.

Of course I could just get the Celeron Chromebox, save 100 dollars and accept that in certain there might be some choppiness and then buy a new Chromebox sooner. However, I do find the alternative of getting the i3 version (which has more RAM as an added bonus) and thus making sure I don't have to suffer though any choppiness in any situation more appealing.
I'm really wondering what this thread has to do with kodi and why it is on this forum?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-09, 23:54)nickr Wrote: I'm really wondering what this thread has to do with kodi and why it is on this forum?

Well I am interested in Kodi but obviously I first want get a mini PC that is suitable for its own native OS as well. Surely we can discuss topics not relating directly to Kodi. Many of you use mini PCs with Kodi so hopefully it's not a crime to ask advice from people who use these mini PCs for HTPC stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bang-for-buck Mini PC for browser-based media streaming0