Probably the Best mITX Case for HTPC/Media Server ?
Hello Guys,

I have been planning my first htpc for a while now and just came across this Bitfenix prodigy mITX case:

Bitfenix Prodigy

Review

I think this case has serious potential as a dual htpc/media server. As you can see it has the ability to hold 5 x 3.5" drives plus the height clearance means you can fit a full cpu cooler in here easily. So think i will be moving my 2x2TB drives fron my NAS box into this case and probably add one more drive with SSD for OS..

So am thinking of the following

CPU: AMD A8-3870K
CPU Cooler : Need help with this guys
PSU: what is the best ATX/Mini ATX PSU
Additional Fan : Also need help here guys

What do you guys think?

cheers
Not a fan of running a media server on the same system as my HTPC.
It reminds me of an older Macintosh.

It's definitely a nice looking case but functionally, I prefer the Lian-Li PC-Q08. You get one more 3.5" drive bay and a 2.5" drive bay under the ODD.

One thing I will say is I like the idea of a server case with a handle. You never know when you'll need to grab it and run. No, really.
(2012-06-02, 15:44)spencers Wrote: Not a fan of running a media server on the same system as my HTPC.

Agreed. But for some it works and this thing at least has 120mm fans...

For HTPC+Server mini-itx case, I prefer "LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower" tooo.....it included front USB 3.0 ports and giant 140mm and 120mm case fans.....and these "SilenX EFX-14-12 140mm" and "SilenX EFX-12-12 120mm" case fans should make it very silent.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Preordering This baby as we speak (NCIX) , Finally a case for my htpc , I've been looking at the LIAN LI PC-Q08B but aluminium cage rattles as per reviews ,and the price
on those lian li cases are just 2 much . thanks Hail.ceasar for the info ./
Bitfenix makes some really nice cases.
yepp, hard to find in NA
(2012-06-03, 00:31)Djangostar Wrote: Preordering This baby as we speak (NCIX) , Finally a case for my htpc , I've been looking at the LIAN LI PC-Q08B but aluminium cage rattles as per reviews ,and the price
on those lian li cases are just 2 much . thanks Hail.ceasar for the info ./

I've built 2 NASs with the PC-Q08 and never experienced any rattles. Perhaps the thumbscrew that holds the cages in was not tightened enough.

Some other "NAS" looking cases I like:

Lian Li PC-Q25
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pro...dex=67&g=f

Fractal Design R2
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=42

With the ASUS C60M1-I or E35M1-I motherboard.

Slick.

I agree the Lian Li's look nice, but the PC-Q25 costs about £110 without a PSU and the Bitfenix costs just £60! surely for this price the Prodigy is a steal!!

The Fractal R2 is way too big to be a living room htpc in my opinion..

@Djangostar: Glad you like the case. What other components are you getting for your htpc?

(2012-06-03, 22:22)Hail.ceasar Wrote: I agree the Lian Li's look nice, but the PC-Q25 costs about £110 without a PSU and the Bitfenix costs just £60! surely for this price the Prodigy is a steal!!

The Fractal R2 is way too big to be a living room htpc in my opinion..

@Djangostar: Glad you like the case. What other components are you getting for your htpc?

See my sig , I just want to swap the MI=008 case , I want my new case to be able to hold my 3 HDD+1SSD & 2 tv cards , make this my home server/htpc that will stay on all the time .
(2012-06-02, 13:51)Hail.ceasar Wrote: Hello Guys,

I have been planning my first htpc for a while now and just came across this Bitfenix prodigy mITX case:

Bitfenix Prodigy

Review

I think this case has serious potential as a dual htpc/media server. As you can see it has the ability to hold 5 x 3.5" drives plus the height clearance means you can fit a full cpu cooler in here easily. So think i will be moving my 2x2TB drives fron my NAS box into this case and probably add one more drive with SSD for OS..

So am thinking of the following

CPU: AMD A8-3870K
CPU Cooler : Need help with this guys
PSU: what is the best ATX/Mini ATX PSU
Additional Fan : Also need help here guys

What do you guys think?

cheers

So are you happy with the result? Smile

I'm looking at a similar setup but i'm unsure about which PSU to get...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Probably the Best mITX Case for HTPC/Media Server ?0