Poll: Who uses the "Choose Best Resolution for Videos" - setting, and if not, why not?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I use it - it looks good - my XBox is set to NTSC
0%
I use it - it looks good - my XBox is set to PAL
0%
I don't use it - some videos look bad - my XBox is set to NTSC
0%
I don't use it - some videos look bad - my XBox is set to PAL
0%
I don't use it - most videos look bad - my XBox is set to NTSC
0%
I don't use it - most videos look bad - my XBox is set to PAL
0%
Total
0 vote(s)
0%
* You voted for this item.

Do you use "Choose Best Resolution for Videos"
if you have a dlp projector, is it capable of 480p or higher?

if so, do you have an hdtv pack?

if your xbox is configured as pal (it's done in the eeprom) then xbmc can autoswitch to pal60 which is basically ntsc framerate and resolution but with the pal colour system. this is done by enabling the pal60 option.

the "choose best resolution" option only does 16:9 <-> 4:3 switching if you are a pal or ntsc user. hdtv users get the added benefit of switching to higher modes (720p etc.) based on whether the resolution of the movie justifies the switch.

hope this helps.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

1024x768 max resolution, it shows any lower resolution not by downscaling it (would give poor quality), but by using less pixels, and zooming up the picture optically (motorized)

i use the "advanced" av cable.
videos look great on my 6.4" ntsc screen in my truck.. Smile
i just added a new option called
'adjust framerate' or frame rate conversions

this allows perfect smooth playback of ntsc movies on an pal box or pal movies on an ntsc box

see this thread for more details
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
i had some problems with choose best resolution for videos with svcd's. some of these are encoded with black bars up and down, and to watch them on my widscreen tv, i need to enable zoom mode. this however creates a problem as the resolution chosen is a 4:3 pal one, this meens my tv switches to 4:3 mode.

when i choose zoom, it doesn't switch to a 16:9 resolution, which i think i should. this meens i can't use the feature.

thanx
joakim plate
i've just got xbmc up and running (15th jan 04 build) and i've got to say the picture quality of divxs is appaling compared to v2.3 of xbmp i was using.

there are jagged lines over all the edges, it looks like its being displayed at a much lower resolution.

i'm watching on 36" tv at 16:9 480p via the hi def av pack.

i've tried the different options for resolution and filters as much as possible but nothing seems to get a pq even half as good as it used to be.

any suggestions?

owain
have you disabled all post processing filters?

if not, try that.

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Sad 
does "choose best resolution for videos" detect if a video is ntsc or pal and take that into consideration before switch 16:9/4:3?

as an exampel 720x480 would be widesceen to pal but not to ntsc if you just look at the resolution of the video.

what i mean is if i start a 720x480 ntsc video on my pal xbox/xbmc/tv and have "choose best resolution" selected, will "choose best resolution" detect that as 16:9 or 4:3? it should be deletced as 4:3 since ntsc but if "choose best resolution" don't check for ntsc/pal and only check the resolution then it will think that 720x480 is 16:9, or?
looks like checking if the video is pal and ntsc is not taking into consideration, see this comment by frodo:
(frodo @ feb. 20 2004,10:49 Wrote:first of all a bug was fixed concerning this feature yesterday.
second this option switches between 16:9 and 4:3 based
on the aspect ratio of the movie

if the aspect ratio of a movie > 1.53 then it will use 16:9
otherwise it will use 4:3
so for example
- 640x240 has an ar of 2.66 and will b played with 16:9
- 640x480 has an ar of 1.33 and will b played with 4:3

pal/ntsc is not taken in consideration. why? cause there is no clear standard for widescreen ntsc.
for example 740x480 is used both as 16:9 or 4:3 format.

frodo
i guess that another thing that need to be checked and taking in consideration is if video is anamorphic widescreen or not
gamester + others:

what is taken into account is the output frame size of the video. this is after the in-built aspect ratio (of mpeg 1/2/4 or mkv or whatever else mplayer can read) has been taken into account.

eg. dvds that are anamorphically encoded - xbmc will see they're output frame size as 1024x576 (for pal), whereas dvds that are not anamorphic will be give xbmc am output frame size of 768x576.

we also use the frame rate of the film (best indicator of pal vs. ntsc) to determine whether pal50 or pal60 should be used on pal systems. note that ntsc xbox's cannot be switched to output pal without resetting the eeprom, which we don't (and won't) do.

after all that, we use the output frame size to do widescreen switching - this is based on minimizing black bars, which if you do the math turns out to be and ar of 8/(3*sqrt(3)) which is around the 1.53 as frodo wrote.

lastly, we take into account the users pixel ratio, zoom and stretch settings and so on to determine the actual frame size to use in order to get the desired display.

hope this helps,
jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do you use "Choose Best Resolution for Videos"0