Linux Switch from old PPA to new Snap package for Ubuntu 16.04 and onwards?
(2016-05-07, 12:31)qp9013625 Wrote:
(2016-05-07, 12:28)keith Wrote: You feel so entitled you can tell others to do stuff? Why don't you try to do something yourself, instead of complaining others aren't doing what you want them too?

I am not telling anybody what to do.

It was merely a question.

If he likes the concept and idea behind Snaps but finds that it is lacking something in particular that he is missing from it to become applicable to KODI, then the most natural thing would be to approach the Ubuntu developers and tell them.
You are the one bitching about using snap packages so now YOU start doing something.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Besides you know, saying how awesome snaps are and arguing with the people who actually *do* stuff when they disagree.

So why do you want others to be productive so you can benefit, without actually assisting on something you clearly care enough about to talk about?
Actions speak louder than any amount of words.
(2016-05-07, 12:36)keith Wrote: Besides you know, saying how awesome snaps are and arguing with the people who actually *do* stuff when they disagree.

So why do you want others to be productive so you can benefit, without actually assisting on something you clearly care enough about to talk about?
Actions speak louder than any amount of words.

I think I am doing enough by encouraging others to use Snap packages. That is because I seem to be the only one here doing so and getting baseless backlash. Yet I am still standing Big Grin.

Besides, you Team KODI members are distributing a Ubuntu distribution and Ubuntu packages, so please be aware that some "customers" simply might come along with some feature requests from time to time.
You are not doing anything, that much is clear. wsnipex didn't do anything based on your comments/opinions. You're doing the opposite, by demotivating others by spreading mis-information and then claiming it's baseless. And you're the only one who believes they are baseless, wsnipex proved what others tried to tell you in this thread, by *actually doing something*.

Kodi has no customers. 'customer' definition: a person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or business." If you bought Kodi, it certainly wasn't from us, and we got nothing from it. Feature requests are fine, but it's how you approach the situation. If you want to act like you're entitled for others to do stuff you want, and arguing and posting senseless pictures, nobody is going to ever going to be interested in doing what you want.

This is open source. If you have a scratch, you itch it, that's the beauty of this, and why open source is so important. It's free as in speech, not as in beer. Go ahead and tell other projects how you feel about snap packages, especially ones as large as Kodi with as many moving parts and let's see the reaction you get from them.

This discussion is not contributing. Contributing is actively trying to make something better by action. By trying, even if you fail. Or, monetarily, if you don't have the time for action, because donations fuels contributions.

It's disappointing you can't see the difference, and your sense of entitlement as a 'customer'.
ok, its enough. If you had read and understood the link to the snapcraft change I posted, you'd know that they removed this feature on purpose. Its not likely they will bring it back.
And you telling us that "you are doing enough" by constantly nagging and arguing with us is true. But only in the sense that it is enough to make me stop caring.
(2016-05-07, 12:56)wsnipex Wrote: But only in the sense that it is enough to make me stop caring.

Let's face it:

The reason you are still arguing with me is that you know that I am right.

Switching to a Snap package would be the right thing to do and you know that.

Just because it might be a bit hard to do it (= work involved) does not mean you need to fight me.

And just because I am pointing out to the developers and project owners what would be the right thing to do, does not automatically mean I have to do it myself.
For anyone else who finds this thread, this is exactly how you get open source people to stop caring about anything you post, by thinking you're entitled and ignoring the people's opinion who would actually be doing the work. I'm closing this thread out, but it can be referenced anytime anyone wonders why there's no snap support:

(2016-05-07, 12:18)wsnipex Wrote: TLDR: its currently not possible to package kodi as snap properly.
(2016-05-07, 13:04)qp9013625 Wrote:
(2016-05-07, 12:56)wsnipex Wrote: But only in the sense that it is enough to make me stop caring.

Let's face it:

The reason you are still arguing with me is that you know that I am right.

Switching to a Snap package would be the right thing to do and you know that.

Just because it might be a bit hard to do it (= work involved) does not mean you need to fight me.

And just because I am pointing out to the developers and project owners what would be the right thing to do, does not automatically mean I have to do it myself.

To end this bullshit you've now been kicked for two weeks and you can now fully dedicate your time creating the snap package.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switch from old PPA to new Snap package for Ubuntu 16.04 and onwards?1