Linux AMD Fusion + HDMI Multichannel
Question 
I've been searching this all day, and have yet to come up with a definitive answer.

I've got an Acer Revo RL70 - AMD Fusion E450-based device. I've installed XBMCBuntu on it, and it pretty much "just works" out of the box.

The one big issue is Multichannel PCM over HDMI. My trawling through google and this site have come up with lots of people with lots of problems with audio on AMD-based devices, but a lot of these seem more fundamental problems than my issue, and are possibly historical. I have found another thread relating to OpenELEC (here) that seems to imply this just isn't possible yet.

So, my question to any owners of AMD kit, or anyone who happens to know:

I can passthrough 5.1 DTS and AC3 without issue. If I have multi-channel (e.g. FLAC 5.1), then it's just output as Stereo. Can anyone do better than this? My old ION-based Revo used to do it perfectly, but it died a death...

Thanks!

Charlie
Audio Engine(recently merged into master) is supposed to do this afaik.

if you are brave enough you can try my latest testing build of the xbmc-xvba branch(see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996 )

for an AE enabled version you need this ppa: ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-testing

NOTE: this is bleeding edge and largely untested. if you are not comfortable with things possibly breaking and you do not know how to go back to your old xbmc version, DO NOT INSTALL

if you try, please let me know how it works out, preferably in the xvba thread.
Shortly after posting, I did stumble on AudioEngine. The linux testing thread contains this gem on the first post:

Quote:•Due to the way the fglrx drivers are implemented in Linux, ATI based cards cannot stream HD audio via HDMI (DTS and Dolby 5.1 are not HD audio codecs. You can still get surround sound, just not TrueHD or DTS-HD). This is because their audio system cannot handle more than 2 channels. At the current time, the radeon open-source driver only supports 2 channel HDMI audio when running Linux kernel >= 3.3. (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...DMI-Audio)

That does rather imply that what I'm suggesting is, so far, impossible in Linux. Until the drivers are updated.
imho this is not correct anymore for the fusion APUs, at least with fglrx
I can confirm this for <=ATI HD4000 series though

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Fusion + HDMI Multichannel0