Default to thumbnail view?
Every item list in a video plugin or video file list defaults to list mode. I'd like to default to thumbnail view without having to change each one manually. There are hundreds.

Or maybe specify a default to check if available and fallback if not available (like Info 2 -> Thumbnail -> Wide -> List)

How can I do this?

edit your My***Nav.xml file and change the line near the top

Code:
<defaultcontrol always="true">50</defaultcontrol>

500 is the thumbnail view. Be careful to use a list type view not a library view
Noli illegitimi carborundum

I edited AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence.lite.mod\720p\MyVideoNav.xml

Didn't seem to change anything in my video Addons like Youtube and the rest, they were all still lists. I deleted my userdata/Database/ViewModes4.db as well.

Ideally I want the "Media Info" view to be used if there is media info (program descriptions and thumbnail), but if not, use thumbnail view. But, it is always boring lists and changing them for each folder would take forever.
also try putting the view you want first in the list of views eg:

Code:
<views>500,51,50,550,551,560,501,508,504,503,505,511,720,722,723,724,725,737</views>

And a serious thing exit XBMC and rename your "guisettings.xml" to something like "Orig-guisettings.xml" and restart XBMC. you'll be back at default everything but you should start seeing the view you want as default.

Be warned there are knock on effects when you try to change things like the default view and you might run into issues later on.

Edit getting the skin to decide if there was enough info to use a media info view and if not fallback to thumbnails would be a major skin edit

I got thumbnails working, thanks. Maybe I'll try to set Media Info view as the default and see what happens. It might be the most used one.

(2012-06-07, 11:58)Mudislander Wrote: Edit getting the skin to decide if there was enough info to use a media info view and if not fallback to thumbnails would be a major skin edit

I'm trying to set up XBMC for my parents and make it as easy to use as possible. They think it is a nuisance to switch views all the time when ti is obvious what the view should be depending on content. My mom asks "why doesn't it just work the right way?". And I think she is right.

It should just work the "right", common sense way.

Even if it is hard, can you give me a hint on how to do it? I only have "Weather, Videos (with addons), Settings" on this simple setup, .

Edit: I just set the default to 504, seems better.
Actually was thinking at work this afternoon, sometimes I open my mouth without thinking and give real sh!t advice. Without testing it would be worth trying to swap view id's eg 50 and 500, if it works - much simpler.

Must admit this idea has intrigued me, might play with ability to swap default list between thumbnails and list

Forgive my naive questions here as I'm a total noob to this XBMC thing. Came across this topic after searching "thumbnail view". I have successfully installed 1channel, Navi-X, etc. and would love to know how to make my default view for videos etc. in confluence the thumbnail view. I don't quite understand the directions given above and the poster that got it working gave no clear explanation of how he got it to work. Am I missing something simple in the settings or do I have to change lines of code in the program itself? Please help. Thanks in advance from the rookie!
(2012-06-07, 20:07)Mudislander Wrote: Actually was thinking at work this afternoon, sometimes I open my mouth without thinking and give real sh!t advice. Without testing it would be worth trying to swap view id's eg 50 and 500, if it works - much simpler.

Must admit this idea has intrigued me, might play with ability to swap default list between thumbnails and list

After a lot of searchingConfused i have the same problem I can just put it on Media info?does anyone know what number it is
yes works now views>551,504,503,508,515,50,51,500,550,560,501,572,573,574,570,571,505,511</views> Big Grin
hey thanks guy's works for me like a charm!

so here step by step for ppl who are not so into "computers and stuff" Wink

my szenario: i was using xbmc for a while. in some menues (tv series) i already changed view to the one i wanted, in others not. i was testing with 1channel plugin!

my skin: Quarz4
how to change to the default view "Media Info"

i changed in the file-browser to the xbmc settings place (where ever it is on your system. for me, in Linux/Ubuntu, it's ~/.xbmc

then go to "addons"--> "skin.quartz" (or whatever skin you are using) --> "1080i" (or what ever it's your case)

here is a file named: "MyVideoNav.xml". copy it to another place in case you mess anything up. save is save.

then open the original with a text editor (not browser!). in my case (linux) i used "kate". with windows the normal "editor" is what you could use.

go to the line with <views> (in my case line 5 so right in the top)
in this line, the views are represented by numbers. when you change die view in xbmc, the first is list (well in my case) and thats why the "50" in this line represents this view. so i counted on which position comes my prefered view. it was on the 3rd. so i put the 3rd number in the list right in the beginning. (in my case 52). make sure you don't mess up with commas and anithy stays in between <views> ... and </views> etc.

then restart xbmc (not sure if really needed).

now what happend: in menues, i did already in prior change the view from default to something else (not everywhere i want "media info"), it did after this here not change. it left it, like i set it. but in menues i did not define explizit, it did actually changed to default "Media Info"! No configuring again, what i configured already! great!

hope this was helpfull for someone.
(2014-05-30, 11:12)tuxfuxch Wrote: hey thanks guy's works for me like a charm!

so here step by step for ppl who are not so into "computers and stuff" Wink

my szenario: i was using xbmc for a while. in some menues (tv series) i already changed view to the one i wanted, in others not. i was testing with 1channel plugin!

my skin: Quarz4
how to change to the default view "Media Info"

i changed in the file-browser to the xbmc settings place (where ever it is on your system. for me, in Linux/Ubuntu, it's ~/.xbmc

then go to "addons"--> "skin.quartz" (or whatever skin you are using) --> "1080i" (or what ever it's your case)

here is a file named: "MyVideoNav.xml". copy it to another place in case you mess anything up. save is save.

then open the original with a text editor (not browser!). in my case (linux) i used "kate". with windows the normal "editor" is what you could use.

go to the line with <views> (in my case line 5 so right in the top)
in this line, the views are represented by numbers. when you change die view in xbmc, the first is list (well in my case) and thats why the "50" in this line represents this view. so i counted on which position comes my prefered view. it was on the 3rd. so i put the 3rd number in the list right in the beginning. (in my case 52). make sure you don't mess up with commas and anithy stays in between <views> ... and </views> etc.

then restart xbmc (not sure if really needed).

now what happend: in menues, i did already in prior change the view from default to something else (not everywhere i want "media info"), it did after this here not change. it left it, like i set it. but in menues i did not define explizit, it did actually changed to default "Media Info"! No configuring again, what i configured already! great!

hope this was helpfull for someone.

I don't understand any of this. I'm using an android box with xperience1080 skin. Can you tell me in really simple wording how to do this?? I'm getting sooooo frustrated with searching forums for an answer i can understand.
How can i get always thumbnail view for android?? When i go to video add ons I set the view to thumbnail but when I press on something else and come back it reverts back to list view, how I set the default view to thumbnail. I have achieved this on ubuntu but cant find it on android. I go to sd card> android> data> org:xbmc folder> files> xbmc> user data>guisettings-xml ... but i don't know what to put in there or where...Huh been searching and searching but cant find anything on android or is just not working... using Xbmc 13.1 android...Huh
I'm using latest kodi in arch linux, and it's impossible to change the default view in confluence skin. First the skin isn't in the .kodi directory but hn /usr/share/kodi/.. which means that need root rights to edit it. The problem is that it just ignore any change I make and returns in thubnail view. And I follow all the advices, even with the guisettings rename the view doesn't change. I don't understand, what is the point to have different views when only one view loads and the change to another view never saved.
Update:
Finally after I copied the skin to .kodi directory, and rename it, I was able to select it with this different name. After that I edited again the file and this time the changes saved.
Wrong forum...had two spots open. Sorry.
For me this one saved my life
"And a serious thing exit XBMC and rename your "guisettings.xml" to something like "Orig-guisettings.xml" and restart XBMC. you'll be back at default everything but you should start seeing the view you want as default."
Thank you for this advice. None of the changes to views and defaults was taking effect until I removed guisettings.xml

R

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Default to thumbnail view?0