NAS: Having second thoughts
(2012-06-07, 07:36)helpermonkey Wrote: The pain in the rear is going to be making this thing silent since it's going to sit in my living room.

I agree with PHG that larger, slower fans will help. If you have any option at all, don't place the NAS in your living room. Basements are great for servers, but so are guest bedrooms, offices, closets, garages, attics - basically anywhere other than a location you are going to want to sit in silence. Running ethernet through a house is a pain, but worth it. If you rent then powerline adapters work for some people. Wifi can work in some situations (though it's really a gamble). Gbit wifi exists (802.11ac), maybe it's worth looking into.
IMHO, making a NAS silent is a much harder problem than whatever it is that is forcing you to put the NAS in the living room. The NAS will be on 24/7, which means it will be on even when you're not watching television. Want to sit in the living room and enjoy a book? Not with fans and HD's clicking all over the place. Make your NAS silent only if it's your last resort - otherwise, relocate it.
(2012-06-07, 21:43)teaguecl Wrote:
(2012-06-07, 07:36)helpermonkey Wrote: The pain in the rear is going to be making this thing silent since it's going to sit in my living room.

I agree with PHG that larger, slower fans will help. If you have any option at all, don't place the NAS in your living room. Basements are great for servers, but so are guest bedrooms, offices, closets, garages, attics - basically anywhere other than a location you are going to want to sit in silence. Running ethernet through a house is a pain, but worth it. If you rent then powerline adapters work for some people. Wifi can work in some situations (though it's really a gamble). Gbit wifi exists (802.11ac), maybe it's worth looking into.
IMHO, making a NAS silent is a much harder problem than whatever it is that is forcing you to put the NAS in the living room. The NAS will be on 24/7, which means it will be on even when you're not watching television. Want to sit in the living room and enjoy a book? Not with fans and HD's clicking all over the place. Make your NAS silent only if it's your last resort - otherwise, relocate it.

Good point. Since i'm trying to save a little cash right now until i can build out a rack in my media room closet - I *think* what i might try is rewire a power outlet. I have a shared wall between my media room and my living room (which i'm never in). I meant to say Media room in the previous post not living room. So what i'm going to look into doing is to put an Ethernet jack on both wall plates and put my nas in the living room on the otherside of the wall.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS: Having second thoughts0