Crucial Ballistix + PicoPSU + ASRock = GRRRRRR
It's not the length, it's the girth.

Basically, the deal is that I'm using a picoPSU on the ASRock Z77E-ITX board with the Crucial Ballistix. Unfortunately, the pico plugs in right next to the RAM slots and the extra width to the crucial (b/c of the useless yellow siding) creates a space issue.

I'm trying to see if i can pull off the siding to one of my crucial sticksi'll let you know how it goes but I wanted to warn anyone who is interested in my build.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
That's unfortunately a familiar problem:
http://outsidethestb.blogspot.com/2011/0...i-itx.html
Instead of pulling the heatsink off your ram, why not get a power supply connector extension to plug in with? Should eliminate the problem of clearance and, from the looks of Dougie's post, it may be pretty tight even without the heatsink on there.

Outlet PC

Amazon
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-06-09, 04:09)Mick1152 Wrote: Instead of pulling the heatsink off your ram, why not get a power supply connector extension to plug in with? Should eliminate the problem of clearance and, from the looks of Dougie's post, it may be pretty tight even without the heatsink on there.

That's a possibility, but the pico is pretty snug and not coming out very easily. :-( Also, the extension might create the same problems. I'll have to do some more analysis of the problem.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
helpermonkey bummer....

but we all learn on what works... we would of not known.... I been there many times .... many many....

Well my Desktop PC i had to extend the cord for the power plug to reach the hole... no biggie....

that crucuial ram is very very good.....

Let us know how it goes...
Looks like that extension will work....
Oh yah the PICO 160 is way bigger then the 90w I have...
(2012-06-09, 04:12)helpermonkey Wrote:
(2012-06-09, 04:09)Mick1152 Wrote: Instead of pulling the heatsink off your ram, why not get a power supply connector extension to plug in with? Should eliminate the problem of clearance and, from the looks of Dougie's post, it may be pretty tight even without the heatsink on there.

That's a possibility, but the pico is pretty snug and not coming out very easily. :-( Also, the extension might create the same problems. I'll have to do some more analysis of the problem.

The extension will work with the picoPSU as long as you then have somewhere to place the picoPSU in your case. I had a similar problem with the picoPSU interfering with the power button circuit board. It would not fit, period. I tried using an extension but then I had nowhere to put the picoPSU Sad.
(2012-06-09, 04:30)Beer40oz Wrote: helpermonkey bummer....

but we all learn on what works... we would of not known.... I been there many times .... many many....

Well my Desktop PC i had to extend the cord for the power plug to reach the hole... no biggie....

that crucuial ram is very very good.....

Let us know how it goes...
Looks like that extension will work....
Oh yah the PICO 160 is way bigger then the 90w I have...

well, it's like they say - you gotta put the boob where the mouth is supposed to be if you want to make a picasso :-)

All in the fun, i may try leaving the original power board in the case but flip it around so the pico can reach all the way around ... but then i'll have to figure out where to put the HD, so who knows - i'll figure it out ... some how :-)
The Mi7 (full specs)
tomorrow, i'm gonna run by the little tech shop that's near my house. hopefully they'll have a 24pin connector i can snag, there's plenty of room in the case if it does indeed work, but the space between the heatsink on the ram and the rest is pretty damn tight.

meanwhile, the hole on the back of the case for the power supply is gonna have to be drilled b/c it's too small.

thanks for all your help y'all! much obliged
The Mi7 (full specs)
well ... welcome to the fun world of computers. It's *looking* like my ram is actually bad ... which is a problem since i'll have to take off the big shuriken to get to the ram. but anywho - put the box together tonight and plugged it into my tv with a dvd drive and an ipazz plugged into the usb. the board definitely kicked in since the fan spun but that was it.

I'm tired so i'm done for now, but hopefully this will be a problem i can fix without having to pull off the fan.
The Mi7 (full specs)
Hope it's not the RAM.... just take it easy. We will figure it out. Boob sounds good.... Smile
(2012-06-10, 13:39)Beer40oz Wrote: Hope it's not the RAM.... just take it easy. We will figure it out. Boob sounds good.... Smile

well, it's either the mobo or the ram and there's no onboard speaker so i can't hear a thing. At this point, I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow so i can go by the store and pick up either some arcticlean or alcohol. i'll switch the sticks and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, it looks like i'm going to have to RMA my ram and mobo. Unless you have any thoughts.
The Mi7 (full specs)
Maybe you allready tried this:

Try to do a CMOS reset. (sometimes during after-production-testing some hardware was placed onto the board, and later removed, leaving the board 'waiting' for some device to kick in.)
It can be found very close to the VGA/HDMI port.
Also check that the MB is not shorting out against the case. I've had a situation where a portion of the MB was touching the case, and the MB would appear as if it was powering on - as in LEDs would illuminate, and fans would spin up, but the board would not POST. Just something to check...
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-06-10, 21:27)s1l3nc0r Wrote: Maybe you allready tried this:

Try to do a CMOS reset. (sometimes during after-production-testing some hardware was placed onto the board, and later removed, leaving the board 'waiting' for some device to kick in.)
It can be found very close to the VGA/HDMI port.

This board is kind of bad ass in that it actually has a CMOS button on the I/O Panel. Sadly, didn't work.

(2012-06-10, 22:34)thrak76 Wrote: Also check that the MB is not shorting out against the case. I've had a situation where a portion of the MB was touching the case, and the MB would appear as if it was powering on - as in LEDs would illuminate, and fans would spin up, but the board would not POST. Just something to check...

Excellent tip! Not an issue here, but definitely people should check for as a general rule of thumb.

The Mi7 (full specs)
So here's the latest:
unhindged the fan so i could pull out the ram, then tried booting this machine with two ram sticks and then tried each stick by itself in both slots (i basically just rested the fan back on top. Got nothing! I think it's time to replace the hardware.
The Mi7 (full specs)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crucial Ballistix + PicoPSU + ASRock = GRRRRRR0