XBMC Crashing Since Updating
Hi,

Found this old thread and the same thing happened to me upgrading from 12.1 Frodo to 12.2. I ran debug to find the issue was related to the SMB with the error being "NOTICE: Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connections" after doing a lib scan.

I downgraded to 12.1 and the issue is no longer happening.

Glad I found this thread even though it's related to Eden.

Regards,
Wastey Big Grin
Just for the record, I'm having the exact same problem.

*Edit: Except that it only happens after I play a video.
I've you tried Davilla test build?

See post
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=163960&page=4

Davilla test build
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/darw...o-atv2.deb

JS
I certainly tried Davilla's test build and it helped in so far as it stopped the crashing back the ATV menu but it still isn't reliable. Every day I have to power cycle it and then it works fine for that night. The next night I come back to it and it usually responds to the first couple of remote control clicks and then just hangs.

What I want to know (I did ask in another thread) is if Davilla's changes are now in the nightlies. If so then it is possible that with his fixes and any additional bug fixes in the nightly then it might be OK.

I'm so annoyed that I ever moved off Eden. It was 100% reliable then and from what I have seen of Frodo there is nothing new for me at all other than the auto-repeat on the remote control to allow you to scroll. I've not seen anything else new at all :-(
I wanted to contribute to this post and say that the same problem has occurred to me:

I still have an older firmware on my Apple TV2:
IOSVers = 4.2.1 (8c154)
I was running Eden 11.0-0~b3 for the longest time with no problems Smile

I updated today to Frodo 12.2-0

Problem: While idling in a videos folder, XBMC will crash to the Apple menu after ~2 minutes.
Last line in xbmc.log: "NOTICE: Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connections"

I tried downgrading to 11.0-5, problem persisted.
I then downgraded to 11.0-0, and problem has disappeared.

Since Eden 11.0-0 seems to be working perfectly, I'm not sure I'm going to do push the envelope and attempt any build past 11.0-0. I struggled to get an older subtitles addon to work on 11.0-0, I would prefer not to have to go through that again Smile Smile

Maybe the conclusion is that any build > 11.0-0 is not compatable on 4.2.1 (8c154) ?? I cannot confirm absolutely.
thats the case yeah - at least when using mysql or samba - as pointed out in dozens of other threads...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I hope they come out with a new jailbreak soon so that those of us with this problem and stuck on old versions of iOS can finally upgrade. I've got 3 Apple TVs with this problem and it is highly annoying.

I may be wrong but back when Frodo was first released I do not think there was any list of required iOS versions that it would work with. So many of us just assumed we could upgrade XBMC as we had done in the past many times without any problems. If there was no such list/warning at the time then maybe that would be nice for future releases.

I'm just looking forward to the day that I can upgrade iOS, upgrade XBMC to the latest version at the time, ensure it is stable and LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
Well its a bug in apples SDK - we wanted to support iOS 4.2 but this bug leads to the crashing in mysql and samba. Gotham will be compatible with 4.2 again as we will use an older SDK again - just for this problem (i just didn't have time to do the needed changes yet - but at one point the nightlies will be compatible to 4.2 again - so will gotham).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
This should be solved as of the next nightly build ...
I've just checked one of my ATV2 that is quite unstable with Frodo. The iOS version is reported as 4.4.4 (3330). Is this likely to work with the Gotham nightlies? I really want to get my setup stable again.

I'll have to check the version of my 2 other ATV2s. I think they may be a little earlier than this one.

Update: I've now checked the other 2. They are both running 4.1.1

All 3 are running Frodo now and while they work they generally have to be rebooted each day before use. All 3 were perfectly stable with Eden.
Hi All,

Not sure how much this might help you (as you might be facing a different issue) but try running this command (df -h) to check the space on your apple tv in the path (/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails/).
In my case there was no space left in the VAR folder so XBMC was crashing when it tried to start.
I deleted some files and it started without any problem. Works just fine once again.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Piyush
I updated my 3 ATV2s (iOS versions 2 posts above) to the latest nightly over the weekend and it certainly seems to have improved the stability. With the stable Frodo release I was having to reboot them almost every time before use but so far I haven't had to reboot any of them since the weekend. I did get some add-on dependency errors after the upgrade. I'm not running any non-standard add-ons. I think most were PVR related which I don't use so I told it to disable them and so far so good. Everything finally seems to be working just as it was with the Eden release.
The dialogs that I mentioned above do not seem to want to go away. I've just gone to my ATV2 and it is again saying that the "metahandler" add on is incompatible due to unmet dependencies. I have no idea what that add on is or what dependencies it is looking for. I have previously told it to disable the add on but it keeps prompting me.

I'm also seeing the same for "t0mm0's common stuff" and "urlresolver" add ons.

It's not that hard to just say yes to disable it but it would be nice if stayed disabled. Maybe it is just a "feature" of running a nightly. At least I no longer have to reboot every time I want to use my ATVs.
Those 3 addons are all part of the pirate addon icefilms. The nagging is a known issue in current nightly builds but its hard to trac down what really causes the problem. There are internal discussions atm how to handle it.
OK thanks for that. I have removed the add on. I don't use it. Must have been loaded by one of my kids.

I'm a happy camper now. No more hanging and reboots and the WiFi streaming performance seems to have improved considerably as well. At this stage it looks like this nightly will become my stable and I'll never upgrade them again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Crashing Since Updating1