Coaxial/Optical causes crash
Hi all.

I've just installed a DeLock sound card with SPDIF output into my home theatre pc so I can finally plug it into my Panasonic receiver (DTS, Dolby II, AC3 capable) and get proper 5.1 sound. When I run analog sound through the SPDIF output all is fine, but when I select Coaxial/Digital from the sound menu the film I'm watching judders for a while and the entire system slows down (mouse icon is juddery, system is generally unresponsive) before stopping completely, all the while with no sound. When I switch back to analog (if it hasn't crashed) it all catches up with itself and the sound comes out. Naturally though I'd like full DTS/5.1 sound through coaxial and not through analog. If anyone could help I'd be grateful.

System is Intel quad 2.4ghz, 6gb ram, ATI 5xxx HD graphics card - generally very capable and stable build.

I've tried both stable and nightly builds of XBMC.

Thanks,

Mark
I must ask; why not use your GPU for outputting audio?

Ensure that you have 5.1 set in Your OS as well as your audio software, if yo use any. Also try to see if you can find new drivers.

What exactly do you have selected in XBMC? I found that using WASAPI over DirectSound works best. I( ahv eused SPIDF with both Dharma and Edne adn both worked without issue, so long as the previously mentioned steps wre taken. Though I now use TOSLink, as I needed my coaxial cable for another matter
Hi argh.

I thought I had posted a reply but it seems not to have posted! I'll try and remember what I said.

I can't use the sound output from the GPU because my receiver has no HDMI input and the tele itself cannot passthrough anything other than stereo sound, so the only way to do it is through the coaxial input on the receiver if I want digital sound. I've checked and there are no new drivers for my card.

After some playing this morning it seems that WASAPI doesn't work at all for me, but Directsound is ok as long as I don't check the DTS or AC3 capable boxes (when I do check either or both of these icons I get the juddering picture and no sound). My receiver however can definitely accept DTS signals as I've managed it in the past, so this would suggest a problem with the ability of the SPDIF to transmit them. Should I expect problems with DTS/AC3 over and SPDIF connection?

Also, if the output is set to coaxial/digital does this mean I'm definitely getting 5.1 sound despite not having the DTS/AC3 boxes checked? The sound is coming out of all speakers, but then it did that when it was just stereo too!

Thanks,

Mark

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Coaxial/Optical causes crash0