BBC documentaries
Hi all,

I am new to XBMC and I think its amazing but I just can't seem to add my BBC documentaries to the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
How do you have them named?

In my library I have BBC's Life, for instance named:

Life (2009).S01E01.Challenges of Life.mkv

Scrapes fine that way... For Planet Earth it's:

Planet Earth.S01E01.mkv - also scraped fine.

I'd just make sure you have them named with a season #, and with the year if necessary.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I just found this topic while searching for an answer to a mix of the two original posts above.
I have had the scraper find all the documentaries and add them to my library, but what I really want is to have only 1 BBC Documentaries listing in the library, in which I can find all the documentaries.

I haven't worked on a solution yet, but my thoughts are going in two directions, I don't know if any of them are possible though:

1. Make the BBC Documentaries work as a smartlist - shortcutting to the actual documentaries. But - is it possible to add smartlists to the library?

2. Make nfo, banner, fanart etc. based on the different documentaries and renaming them to make XBMC see it as different seasons of BBC Documentaries, where season 1 is named "Life", season 2 "Planet Earth" etc. It will require quite some work - and will it work?
We all know the BBC comes up with terrific documentaries and more, and it's always a bit of a challenge to get them listed properly listed and it's mostly as individual one off series. I have found that a lot are duplicated in the PBS catalogue, and others are released as disk movies, over time all get into my library one way or another.

re: StefanK

1) smartlists are just a 'sort' of items already in the library.

2) It's possible to have a folder called BBC and put within all your selected TV broadcasts (but not the movies), and you will see them in file mode as a hierarchical list while library mode will flatten this out. Most of the library mode features are available in filemode using Eden, and the new custom nodes in Frodo should give you what you want. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Custom_Video_Nodes

I've found over time that I move most of the watched BBC series into a large off line drive no longer part of the library system, and if needed access it with file mode directly, The skin T! has the capability of direct access to a source that is not in the standard XBMC path from the home page, and the fanart & covers still show up in most views (although the metadata doesn't show-up).
Thanks for sharing, PatK!

1) which is why the answer is no! (?)
2) I agree that a decent file structure makes file view almost identical to library, but it would still be nice to have them in the library. I don't think the custom video nodes will give me exactly what I dream of, but it seems close. I'll be trying it out tonight.

I'm also using T!, but I won't give BBC a whole button until Ronie makes more available. Might qualify as a submenu though :-)
hmm, just found out that I neither have the path /userdata/Database/video/movies/ nor any default video nodes in xml-format.
I see that the custom video nodes are available only from the July cycle and onwards - http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/14/xb...uly-cycle/
I am running Frodo Alpha2 from May compiled (by someone else) with Spotify, so I'll have to wait :-(
I should have clarified a bit.. yes the answer for 1) was No, as everything in playlists needs to first be in the library. (kinda catch 22)

Too many quirks at the moment in Frodo, I'm patiently waiting for beta..
Hey, first post so suweet.

Was dealing with this problem earlier today and actually got it working so I decided to finally join the forums 5 years after using XBMC (goes to show how good you guys are at solving problems as Ive never needed to post a problem or failed to find a solution you guys havent found).

Mine worked like a charm adding a few BBC Documentaries as well as Nat Geo and Discovery due to file naming.

For example, I added Grand Prix: The Killer Years to the folder: BBC Documentaries. It was last year, 2011 which is what is used for season numbers.

Now what threw me off was labeling the season. I tried everything but this is what I got....and worked Smile

Grand Prix: The Killer Years = [BBC Documentaries.S2011E71]

Go to theTVBD (dot) com and look up each episode you want to add and get the year (season) number and the episode number. I also added each file into a corresponding year folder as a sudo season folder.

Hope this helps!
Smile 
Long live the lurkers, I ended up too XBMC-passionate to just watch Tongue
I see it would work if the documentaries are on the list in theTVdb. The documentaries I have are not however, as they are part of their own one season series. I guess they are not really BBC Documentaries, but just Documentaries produced by BBC Confused
And then it does make sense, that they can not automatically be put into the BBC Dox-folder.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BBC documentaries0