Win audio over HDMI/AVR woes
okay. so, i got a pretty swanky sony 7.1 AVR for a fathers day present ( http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...=STRDN1010 ), and i'm attempting to send 7.1 surround sound via HDMI to it. it works... most of the time. most of my library of dvd rips have ac3/DTS tracks. most of the time, everything works just peachy. sometimes, though, XBMC gives me a 'failed to initialize audio device" problem, and i get no sound. what's the easy way of tracking down what the problem is here, whether it's settings in windows, or in XBMC?
Firstly I would Advise to get the latest Realtec HD Audio drivers for your System.

You also might have the issue I had with my amps settings.

I discovered my AV amp (Sony str-dn1000) had an HDMI setting enabled "TV + AMP", after I changed it to "AMP" windows then displayed all HD audio Settings.

I believe that as it was passing signals to my TV (stereo) + AMP my computer was only allowing a stereo output.

once I set to AMP only, I now had access to all the HD Audio available.

it took me a few weeks to final solve my issues, reading thru all the various help on this forum, I managed to narrow down my problem, and it was where I least expected to find it (my AMP).

Hopefully this is of help, but if not useful for the future.

Kind Regards

Bart...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio over HDMI/AVR woes0