Video Files Missing
Not wanting to disparage what you have said, but looking at the start of this thread 2012, until to-day and noting 'DriveBender is most likely your issue' along with my own experience along with profanations of 'XBMC does not delete files', I'll second that with Kodi does not delete files!

I think I have an open mind, and quite protective of my collection, and sensitive to any hint, that any code could compromise the work and money I have at stake. I treat my collection like my family, and all members need to be accounted for on a daily basis. The Home page of Transparency! shows the count, and I keep track. The nightmare of it all, is that one day some failing hard drive or malicious code, would see my whole family devastated. I've lived through sour drives, bad copy programs, conficker, and failing o/s and hardware. I'm ever vigilant with a mentally of 'if this operation goes sour, what is plan b' and as everyone will tell you, a NAS is not a back-up.

I've had my days, when somehow I've turned on 'un-watched' my library is cut in half... eeps! Or copied a file that wasn't complete or corrupt, but had the correct byte size, or just moved from one folder to the next without deleting the folder extras, that show up as a missing movie, when it's just in another area. I do use Tera-Copy, and discovered that either it, or my system memory has shortcomings, in that at one point shuffling too many files at one time and something runs out of cache memory (if it's move, what disaster, if it's a copy.. it's just a pain) and I end up moving one letter of the alphabet at a time.

I'm still skeptical, that all writes are 100% in the midst of crashes, I've seen too many corrupt thumbnails to believe that. But to-day operating XBMC/Kodi daily since Dharma, I've seen nothing that would put my family at risk.

For those non entrusting souls, Use VLC or MPC to view your videos, and only use Kodi as your library.
Ok, so the obvious response to that is: what made the act of installing Kodi over XMBC coincide with the mass deletion / loss of almost all new files that weren't being accessed by anything else at the time? Why nothing else? Why at that moment? Why has this happened before? Is this all just repeat poor timing and bad luck? Can XBMC/ Kodi FACILITATE the deletion of files, if it can't do it on it's own? Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with it, but that just makes matters worse. Maybe I don't know enough any more and maybe I don't want to - I certainly tire of things failing to work properly as I age.

I've used XMBC for maybe 10 years in its various iterations and my library, watched list and settings are cherished and valued. I've seen it do many odd things - many of which have absolutely infuriated me (inadvertently removing every file from the library and losing all information for example) - so, like all software it is absolutely not infallible. And so when you see a pattern it's hard not to question it. The only other option I can think of is a 'quick delete' shortcut I've pressed somehow that has no secondary warning alert, which is severely doubtful.

Another file I was looking at last night has since my first post gone missing. If it's a HDD problem I would certainly like to know, but these are mighty fine coincidences. It's hard to know that something you weren't looking at has gone missing to create a 'control' situation - maybe many files have gone missing and I never noticed until I went looking... My other drive is new, so I find it hard to believe there's a failure there somewhere. And 2 drives simultaneously deleting only new and recently accessed files? Hmmm...

And to think I almost copied, rather than cut, all these files. Maybe in that case I wouldn't really have been that bothered? *sigh*
Unsure of all your actions, with some respect trying to answer some of your concerns with a plausible explanation, not that's it's correct, official or right, just my point of view. The time from XBMC to Kodi has been at least 3 full iterations, and in that time many changes have precluded a jump from one of the early 'XBMC updates until to-day. There was a path, in that each iteration made for a smooth transition on a step up install. One of the big changes has been the artwork (wiki) which uses 'movie-poster.jpg' and although there is some legacy support, basically .tbn and folder.jpg are gone. You talk about loss of files, but you haven't made it clear if this is just files lost from the library or gone gone from your hard drive (Kodi doesn't delete, I question this account). So many questions, do you have watched/unwatched on...(slid out left menu, look for All videos or the word watched) in file 3rd party software like trakit or some such that deletes on a view? I assure you straight Kodi does not delete files, if Kodi wasn't installed from this 'the official' download link at top left of this page, or you have banned illegal add-ons, then all bets are off. Care to provide a proper debug log posted to a public paste-bin and link it back to this thread. Wanted to add, a scrape can sometimes use the foreign title, and can be 'lost' but I think you already knew that.

I'm sympathetic to your frustration, but we are dealing with some very sophisticated software. By far it's not perfect, this is community driven and the developers work slavishly for the pleasure of others. If there was some surreptitiously workings going on, it would have been unmasked years ago.
Quote:first post gone missing. If it's a HDD problem I would certainly like to know
Run smart scan, I ran into an infuriating issue with similarities to what you elude to, it ended up a drive was going south and I lost a bit of work. I've seen most of what you have seen, but it's never got under my skin, it's not personal.. it's just computing and fun.

I'll leave you with this... always 'export your library' to separate files each week or two, watch your movie count religiously, run smart scan once a month, buy new drives leave the older smaller units as your back-up. Never fear a local re-scan, takes minutes and you'll be able to recover from any corruption. Once in a blue moon copy your entire Roaming/Kodi out to a safe location.
(2016-08-21, 19:51)bludger Wrote: Win 7 pro 64
Have you set up Windows Media Centre? Windows Media Centre will automatically delete media files and the default setting is to delete unless you change it to keep until you delete.
If you are paranoid about any program deleting your files, make them read only.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just to clarify, yes the files were removed (deleted) from my HDD, not from my folders. The reason I noticed is I was only using XBMC (Kodi) in order to add the new files to the movie list so I know there were already 210 to-be-watched movies before I started - I've been trying to get this number down for a long time! - and I was looking for the new video files in order to add them manually if the scraping wasn't working, which it wasn't. I'm not saying it's definitely XBMC/ Kodi doing the stuff, but it's a pretty easy jump to make considering the timing and the multiple HDD anomalies. I'm sure It's possible that 2 different drives, different sizes, ages and manufacturers, could develop the same problem at the same time, but It does seem unlikely... maybe as unlikely as software doing something weird and unexpected? I don't know. I run the software pretty stock and don't even have many addons really other than weather/ etc.

Anyway, again it's done something weird and added files to the library that one of the drives says aren't even on there. Maybe a drive change just for the hell of it is a good idea.

I think I'll make an even bigger point of backing up in the future, and refreshing software more than I have in the past. I don't want to go through the rigmarole of losing another couple years of photos through a similar process like that which happened last year. That's not a good feeling.

I might try that read-only thing too.
cheers all.
This just happened to me too. A lot of files on a TV series are suddenly missing (not all of them).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Files Missing0