Mini-ITX motherboard with CIR?
Any recommendations on a mini-ITX motherboard that has the CIR infrared port?
So far I've been looking at the Intel BOXDH67CFB3 with i3-2120T CPU.
I have a small case so I'm looking for low profile options.
ASRock has some motherboards that support CIR but I don't know how they compare.
Not directly related to the motherboard search, but I would also compare the price of getting an i3-2120 or 2100 plus a low-profile aftermarket heatsink vs. the i3-2120T. Except at load, the i3s, despite their TDP, all consume about the same power. Even watching 1080p video the difference is minimal. The T CPUs just have a lower top-end. The i3-2120 isn't going to get you anything over the i3-2100 for HTPC usage so compare those as well.

ASRock H67M-ITX has been hit or miss. It was miss for me. Others love it. YMMV. I think it's laid out weird with the front panel connectors at the back.
(2012-06-14, 15:59)JellyBean Wrote: Any recommendations on a mini-ITX motherboard that has the CIR infrared port?
So far I've been looking at the Intel BOXDH67CFB3 with i3-2120T CPU.
I have a small case so I'm looking for low profile options.
ASRock has some motherboards that support CIR but I don't know how they compare.
If you go for Intel mini-ITX mobo, you'll have a very nice choice with this "Inteset INT-412" CIR kit for $30.......it's designed for Intel mobo, and it'll be better than AsRock flimsy USB/remote controller option.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Yeah I had that Inteset kit in mind.

Is there any benefit to go to an i5 CPU? I am thinking of adding a tuner card (I have an old Hauppauge lying around) to do PVR down the road.
This PC is strictly for HTPC use.
You can also re-pin the Inteset CIR kit for the AMD based ASRock motherboards that have the CIR header. That's what I did and am very happy with it. Way better than the ASRock flimsy USB/remote like bluray said. Just in case you were curious at all about AMD based systems as well ;-)
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-06-14, 19:28)JellyBean Wrote: Is there any benefit to go to an i5 CPU? I am thinking of adding a tuner card (I have an old Hauppauge lying around) to do PVR down the road.
This PC is strictly for HTPC use.

If you're just doing PVR stuff, then not really. If you were doing a lot of transcoding, then yes. The i3-2100 is quite the chip.

I was looking at the Biostar TH61ITX+RCH

It is a mini-itx board with an included CIR header. There are 2 options for this board at newegg: 1 with the CIR module/remote and 1 without. Seems to be a pretty decent board.

I have done many PC builds, but I have never used a Biostar board in the past.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813138335

Thoughts?
I have that remote that comes with the Biostar just with a different brand label on it and I hate it. I used it for a few days. The buttons aren't very responsive.

I can't speak for Biostar themselves. I've steered clear due to the mixed review of their other boards. This one seems to get good reviews though.
I really have no intent to use any remote other than my Harmony One. The thing that attracted me to this board was the CIR and the fact that it came with the IR sensor/module connector. Most don't come with that. You end up having to buy a $30 aftermarket connector.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini-ITX motherboard with CIR?0