• 15(current)
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such?
(2012-07-14, 05:03)Jezz_X Wrote: I just hope you got really small fingers Rofl Laugh

It is google nexus 7 ... 7 inch screen should be big enough ... http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7/specs
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
We're not providing APKs for those that can't build as yet - we want to focus on getting issues fixed over the next few weeks while prepping for a merge to master.

The purpose of opening it up is to get other devs eyes on it so we can make sure it'll work on as many devices as possible before we push out APKs.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

great to see this up and running Wink
would love to try it on my HOX and Transfromer ?
But I just have to wait as I'm not good so I can't built it myself Sad But if there is a way to test it I would love to Wink
Cool
Awesome job guys! Now when you have already done all the hard grunt work other independent developers will join in for sure Smile

Amazing that you look to have managed to port all of XBMC's C++ and C source code with all its dependencies to Android for ARM with the Android NDK without using a single line of Java, and the APK running nativly under Android as a NativeActivity application.

Should also compile for Android-x86 as well if I am not mistaken to be able to run on 1st-gen Google TV and the x86-emulator? Big Grin

So it is the "android-rebase-8" branch that we should be looking at on GitHub right?

https://github.com/xbmc/android

https://github.com/xbmc/android/blob/and...ME.android

This is all very exciting and should hopefully attract many more sponsors and developers to XBMC! Congratulations so much!
Correct RockerC, but there is one single line of Java code to satisfy some devices, other than than... death to Java Smile

The build-system was designed to handle multiple archs, like arm, x86, mips, etc. It's based off the work done on darwin for OSX/iOS, adapted to handle various XBMC on embedded solutions. 1st gen GoogleTV (and current) is a little more trouble to do as they have never released an NDK for GoogleTV and you have to hack one into place, see the GoogleTV hacker forums for info. This would have to be adapted to the NDK we use as we need it for wchar and exception support.

"android-rebase-8" branch is the current one, we left the others there so you can see the pain we have gone though Smile
(2012-07-14, 16:18)davilla Wrote: Correct RockerC, but there is one single line of Java code to satisfy some devices, other than than... death to Java Smile

The build-system was designed to handle multiple archs, like arm, x86, mips, etc. It's based off the work done on darwin for OSX/iOS, adapted to handle various XBMC on embedded solutions. 1st gen GoogleTV (and current) is a little more trouble to do as they have never released an NDK for GoogleTV and you have to hack one into place, see the GoogleTV hacker forums for info. This would have to be adapted to the NDK we use as we need it for wchar and exception support.

"android-rebase-8" branch is the current one, we left the others there so you can see the pain we have gone though Smile
That is really an AWESOME job!

Hope that Google will include Google TV support in future Android NDK versions, maybe this port and Team-XBMC can convince them? Wink

I can imagine that Google's own developers would love to see XBMC working on all Google TV devices even if is just a proof-of-concept Smile
Yeah XBMC would be a killer app and give the GTV a much needed shot in the arm, I think those unofficial AndroidTV boxes have been selling in much higher numbers. Not to mention XBMC running on TV's which run GTV like the new LG model.

Hopefully Google sees this.
It doesn't run neither in the arm emulator nor in the x86 emulator because of lacking gles support in the emulators. But you can see how XBMC starts up in the logfile at least Wink (and fails to setup the gui of course and dies then).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I have installed it on my Transformer but unfortunately I've tried to start it, it just closed Sad
But I also installed it on my HOX and its running fine Smile
Enjoy
Cool

if transformer is based on a tegra2 - that would be a known and expected crash in that case...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
woo-hoo! (my two cents)

I have some ideas on UI's for tablets...
Even though XBMC for Android currently requires CrystaX's custom Android NDK it might be good to know that Google have now released an updated Android NDK revision 8b (July 2012) with many small but important changes, including updated toolchains and dependencies, new build scripts, and official Android 4.1 (API Level 16) Jelly Bean support and more.

http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html
Quote:Android NDK, Revision 8b (July 2012)

The main features of this release are a new GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) 4.6 toolchain and GNU Debugger (GDB) 7.3.x which adds debugging support for the Android 4.1 (API Level 16) system image.

Also checkout the new Android SDK Tools revision 20.0.1 (July 2012)
http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/tools-notes.html
Quote:SDK Tools, Revision 20.0.1 (July 2012)

Dependencies:
        Android SDK Platform-tools revision 12 or later.
        If you are developing in Eclipse with ADT, note that the SDK Tools r20.0.1 is designed for use with ADT 20.0.1 and later. If you haven't already, update your ADT Plugin to 20.0.1.
        If you are developing outside Eclipse, you must have Apache Ant 1.8 or later.

Hopefully CrystaX will update his NDK with these improvements and Google will sooner or later in turn backport some more of his improvements to the official Android NDK.
Google has officially said no wchar support and that is something that we need so using the CrystaX NDK is mandatory for now.
Davilla - I know you are under a lot of pressure with Anroid but... is there any sign of the support you need to get XBMC on the Sony GoogleTV?
I want to run XBMC on a Marvell Armada platform and at the moment that seems the best chance.
Thanks for all the hard work.
@Trollslayer, no sign of that yet. I thought we would get some help from xda-developers but they seem to have ignored googletv for some reason.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such?6