• 7(current)
Ordered MK802
I bought my oval elephant to run android ICS on so the kids can use it too (they've already got A10-based Ainol Aurora tablets). Am I missing out on something by not considering Linux?
my oval elephant mini pc dongle has turned up - great little device. via MX player, it is playing all the video formats I can throw at it HW accelerated apart from AVI (runs these in s/w mode).

Smile..

BBC iplayer is struggling but I may try changing the build.props settings to another device variant.

will try getting the droidmote software working on it now.
I have been wanting to ask something about this device and the OTHER media guys, but worry it will be taken the wrong way. 1st, I love me some XBMC and have probably brought 5 other people into the XBMC fold over the last 7 months. But the fact that technology has brought us these cool little android devices makes me wonder. Wouldn't these devices pretty much run Plex out of the box? I have never tried that application, but have glanced at info about it a few times. As I understand it, the server is the workhorse and the client basically passes the results along. Yes that is a very basic description, but I think it is somewhat correct, and if not feel free to correct me. And as I understand it a Plex app is out there for both Android and IOS. Since I run an Unraid server and have several TV's throughout the house without a PC attached, makes this option intriguing.

So,

1. Has anyone tried Plex on the oval elephant or other A10/Mali devices?
2. If so, how did it perform?
3. Did you use it with Unraid, if so how did that go and if not what was your server platform?
4. Is it possible to have both Plex and Unraid and XBMC all running happily together?

I searched a bit on this and found basically very little info about the Plex / Android combo. Would love to pick up a pair of these and install plex for a cheap solution for TVs without HTPCs, but I am not going to pull the trigger hoping XBMC will work on them in the future. But if I could limp along with Plex while development is being done, then I might make the move. Thoughts?

If this is WAY off topic, then I will gladly post it in a more appropriate location and I am not trying to stir a debate about the qualities of XBMC vs Plex, I have made my choice. I am just looking for some experienced opinions.

Thanks.

Did you also install any Mx player codec available on market?

(2012-07-13, 23:48)mrspin Wrote: my oval elephant mini pc dongle has turned up - great little device. via MX player, it is playing all the video formats I can throw at it HW accelerated apart from AVI (runs these in s/w mode).

use +/- ⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓
davilla just posted in the general forum this thread:

The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread.

These little devices sure got a whole lot more interesting if there is going to be an official XBMC on Android, no fumbling getting linux drivers and hardware acceleration working.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-07-14, 03:39)ykhehra1 Wrote: Did you also install any Mx player codec available on market?

(2012-07-13, 23:48)mrspin Wrote: my oval elephant mini pc dongle has turned up - great little device. via MX player, it is playing all the video formats I can throw at it HW accelerated apart from AVI (runs these in s/w mode).

No. just the mx player.

I am now remote controlling it via droidmote and another tablet.. works a treat.
It's finally been done! XBMC on Android. We are testing this week!

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-f...ment-17297
(2012-07-14, 17:43)OvalElephant Wrote: It's finally been done! XBMC on Android. We are testing this week!

Nice! Big Grin
(2012-07-14, 01:22)Diggs Wrote: I have been wanting to ask something about this device and the OTHER media guys, but worry it will be taken the wrong way. 1st, I love me some XBMC and have probably brought 5 other people into the XBMC fold over the last 7 months. But the fact that technology has brought us these cool little android devices makes me wonder. Wouldn't these devices pretty much run Plex out of the box? I have never tried that application, but have glanced at info about it a few times. As I understand it, the server is the workhorse and the client basically passes the results along. Yes that is a very basic description, but I think it is somewhat correct, and if not feel free to correct me. And as I understand it a Plex app is out there for both Android and IOS. Since I run an Unraid server and have several TV's throughout the house without a PC attached, makes this option intriguing.

So,

1. Has anyone tried Plex on the oval elephant or other A10/Mali devices?
2. If so, how did it perform?
3. Did you use it with Unraid, if so how did that go and if not what was your server platform?
4. Is it possible to have both Plex and Unraid and XBMC all running happily together?

I searched a bit on this and found basically very little info about the Plex / Android combo. Would love to pick up a pair of these and install plex for a cheap solution for TVs without HTPCs, but I am not going to pull the trigger hoping XBMC will work on them in the future. But if I could limp along with Plex while development is being done, then I might make the move. Thoughts?

If this is WAY off topic, then I will gladly post it in a more appropriate location and I am not trying to stir a debate about the qualities of XBMC vs Plex, I have made my choice. I am just looking for some experienced opinions.

Thanks.

Too funny that the announcement came the next day. So, Nevermind, and Hell yeah!

Now Xbmc is official on android how is the performance of 1080p streamed content on this device?
(2012-07-14, 17:43)OvalElephant Wrote: It's finally been done! XBMC on Android. We are testing this week!

OH MY!!

Now the world of HTPC connected TV's will change for ever O.O

Android will be the thing to run on your big screen!

no questions asked!!

i'll soon use my win7 HTPC as main work computer and and use an HDMI'ed android device as HTPC!!

(2012-07-15, 23:22)alexktz Wrote: Now Xbmc is official on android how is the performance of 1080p streamed content on this device?

Unwatchable until hardware decoding support is added for it. It will happen enentually, but there's no ETA yet.
(2012-07-16, 00:11)eskro Wrote:

OH MY!!

Now the world of HTPC connected TV's will change for ever O.O

Android will be the thing to run on your big screen!

no questions asked!!

i'll soon use my win7 HTPC as main work computer and and use an HDMI'ed android device as HTPC!!

I think you are right.... and welcome back..

I bet one day maybe this stuff will be integrated into the tv and we just need to add xbmc. Big Grin

Can't wait to see what happens.....
its only a metter of time before we see built-in ANDROID enabled HDTV's!

how ever, i still prefer the idea of using a separate ANDROID device
as u can move it with you where ever you go Smile
For the people that don't actively follow "the other" thread;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1149895
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ordered MK8023