Solved [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.10: XBMC session auto-login = black screen with mouse arrow
Hi,

I've got a Core i3 PC, with only Intel integrated graphics (no dedicated video card) as my HTPC.

I've just made a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10, and added the Frodo build of XBMC from the team-xbmc repository.

XBMC seems to have installed correctly: i.e. I can run it from the Unity dash, and from Terminal.

My only problem is getting it to run automatically on login using the XBMC session from Ubuntu's user login page.

The following works:
1) Login to "Ubuntu" session from login screen
2) Logoff "Ubuntu" session
3) Change "Ubuntu" session to "XBMC" session and login
4) XBMC starts successfully
5) Select "Exit" from Confluence's Shut Down menu
6) Back to Ubuntu's login screen

The following doesn't work:
1) Login to "Ubuntu" session from login screen
2) Set my user account to auto-login from the "User Accounts" section of "Settings)
3) Logoff "Ubuntu" session
4) Change "Ubuntu" session to "XBMC" session and login
5) XBMC starts successfully
6) Select "Reboot" from Confluence's Shut Down menu

After rebooting, I get the computer's POST, then the Ubuntu splash screen, then instead of the XBMC splash screen and then the home screen loading, I get a completely blank black screen with a mouse arrow. I can then get no response from my keyboard (no mouse is connected to the HTPC)

In order to fix this problem, I then have to reboot the computer with my Ubuntu USB key, then remove the
Code:
autologin-user=
line from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and reboot again, which brings back the Ubuntu login screen.

I can also say that auto-login to Ubuntu desktop/Unity works fine. I only have the problem with the XBMC session

Does anyone have any ideas I can try to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

~Jondar
Try running this to config lightdm

Code:
sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s XBMC -a <user>

(2013-02-01, 09:22)Jondar Wrote:
Code:
autologin-user=
line from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and reboot again, which brings back the Ubuntu login screen.

When at your screen with only a mouse try using ctrl+alt+F4 to switch terminals so you can login and edit this file.

(2013-02-01, 11:46)kwlockwo Wrote: Try running this to config lightdm

Code:
sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s XBMC -a <user>

While this worked to set the XBMC session as the default, when I logged off the Ubuntu session, then logged into the XBMC session, then did a reboot, it didn't fix the problem: the same black screen and cursor appeared.

(2013-02-01, 11:46)kwlockwo Wrote: When at your screen with only a mouse try using ctrl+alt+F4 to switch terminals so you can login and edit this file.

That didn't work. I can't get any response from the keyboard at all it seems. Had to use the LiveUSB to reset again Sad
Hey, I had a similiar problem and these are the two options to fix this I tried

1) add i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and run sudo update-grub afterwards

2) use a kernel past 3.8-rc2 - but this is bleeding edge and you should know what you are doing.
(2013-02-01, 13:44)odt_x Wrote: Hey, I had a similiar problem and these are the two options to fix this I tried

1) add i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and run sudo update-grub afterwards

Yes! This worked! Thanks very much odt_x! Smile

I'm surprised I didn't consider this before, as I saw it on other posts, but at the time, I had disregarded it as not relevant to my situation.

Thanks again

~Jondar
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, but I'm a newbee to Linux, so the above solution doesn't make sense to me. Can someone please tell me step-by-step what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
search the forum, this has been answered several times, its also on the wiki

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.10: XBMC session auto-login = black screen with mouse arrow0