RSS local news feeds
I have a question. I usually stream movies etc on a external hard drive connected to the router via smb.

Can i add my own rss news feeds to post the latest files that i have added.

How do i add my own rss news feed.. Ive gone to system-apprearance-skin-rss news feeds-edit

how can i add my own news feed?
can i make a text file and stream it on smb?

i forgot how to add smb was it

smb://username:password@ipaddress/filelocation ??

please help
Why use RSS at all and not just SMB?
So how could i go on and do this? just create a text file? and how do i add it through smb?
Adding videos to the library/Adding media sources (wiki)
So if i just create a text file and type whatever inside it that would work ?
(2012-06-18, 23:08)nabresco Wrote: So if i just create a text file and type whatever inside it that would work ?
Nothing to do with text files. In the wiki link that Ned Scott provided you above, look in Step 3 where it talks about browing for your media source. The screenshot there shows "Home folder" selected. Instead, you would scroll down the list until you find an entry for "Windows network (SMB)". Select that option and XBMC will list the SMB shares it can find. Select the share you want (the one for your external network disk). Proceed with the remaining steps of that wiki page.

Basically, the process for adding a media source on a network (SMB) drive is same as adding a media source on a local drive on your XBMC system... the difference is that you are pointing to a drive at a different location.

(2012-06-18, 23:08)nabresco Wrote: So if i just create a text file and type whatever inside it that would work ?

NO
Okay i figured out how to do the whole smb thing again... mainly accessing hard drives on the network...

but i kinda want to see if its possible to do what I'm trying to do...
replacing the rss feed of default xbmc with my own...typing in whatever i want in that feed.

is there anyway to do that?
So you're talking about the RSS ticker at the bottom of the home screen, and not using RSS as a media source?
(2012-06-19, 01:12)Ned Scott Wrote: So you're talking about the RSS ticker at the bottom of the home screen, and not using RSS as a media source?

Sorry i have been really bad at explaining things.. Yes i want to take the rss ticker at the bottom of the home screen out and make it say for example "testing testing is this working XBMC"

Is that possible to make it say whatever i want on my local private network ?
You can add your own feed to the "ticker" by modifying the userdata/RssFeeds.xml file. Instead of specifying the feed location as an external URL, you can point to an RSS XML file located on your local disk:

Code:
:
    <feed updateinterval="30">file:///path/to/your/local/file/your_rss.xml</feed>
:

You need to create an XML file (your_rss.xml in the example above) in the location you specified in RssFeeds.xml that contains your RSS "news" data. Here's an example of a simple RSS document.
or use the add-on if you prefer a gui.
There are a number of windows programs available that can create as RSS feed identifying new items added to a directory structure. I've never had much luck with them but it could be worth googling. Try this one http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index...pic=8450.0
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
The title of thread actually gave me a good idea, but just wanted to check this possible beforehand...

...can you actually use this for any feed? It would be great to get a news feed included for my local area, but just for the sake of argument, can you add in - for example, http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml - and this would scroll along the bottom?

How does it work with multiple feeds? It would still also be nice to keep the XBMC feed stuff...
(2012-06-21, 17:10)Azaman Wrote: How does it work with multiple feeds? It would still also be nice to keep the XBMC feed stuff...
See my first link in Post #11 above.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RSS local news feeds0