Nas shutdowns
Hi - I have just started to use power management on my NAS, this turns off after 2am every week day and powers back on 4pm. The problem I am currently having is with XBMC losing the connection to Nas after I resume my Mac mini from sleep. The drives are mounted at startup within finder and I can browse the films under files within XBMC but for some reason within my library when trying to start the film it says the film no longer exists and asks if I want to remove it.

Is there a way of getting XBMC to reconnect the drives without restarting my mac, I need it sleeping as I wake it up using my harmony remote.

I don't mind running an Automator script to close XBMC when the sleep command is given to the mac and launching it when it wakes up, just need some help as haven't done any scripting on the mac...

I hope I've explained my issue correctly as I don't really want to leave the Nas on all the time anymore.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide...
How is the nas added to XBMC? Are you using a network path or are you just pointing them to the local mount? If they're pointed to a network path then XBMC shouldn't have an issue re-connecting to them. I've even paused a video in XBMC, rebooted a file server, and was able to unpause the video once the server had started back up without having to do anything extra.
(2012-10-16, 22:56)Ned Scott Wrote: How is the nas added to XBMC? Are you using a network path or are you just pointing them to the local mount? If they're pointed to a network path then XBMC shouldn't have an issue re-connecting to them. I've even paused a video in XBMC, rebooted a file server, and was able to unpause the video once the server had started back up without having to do anything extra.

Thanks for the quick replay.. Yeah I set it up using the local mount, did this awhile ago before I understood everything, I also have two windows XBMC machines that now use nfs as I wanted to use MySQL.. Can I export the library into a single file and change the paths to use NFS without having to rescan my whole library.
Yes, but it might mess up thumbnails, since they're based on file location.
i am also experiencing a lot of problems with a NAS turning on at specific times:

1: OSX error message, unable to connect to server

setup:
all shares are mounts in XBMC
alls shares are AFP
tried NFS but had the same problem.

I thing it has something to the with the NAS becoming available, but the share are not ready yet. I can the the NAS but not the shares initially. After a few minutes the share is there but OSX has already thrown in an error
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
(2012-10-17, 16:21)idioteque Wrote: i am also experiencing a lot of problems with a NAS turning on at specific times:

1: OSX error message, unable to connect to server

setup:
all shares are mounts in XBMC
alls shares are AFP
tried NFS but had the same problem.

I thing it has something to the with the NAS becoming available, but the share are not ready yet. I can the the NAS but not the shares initially. After a few minutes the share is there but OSX has already thrown in an error

I haven't setup NFS within finder only have them in the source.xml file but I was getting the same issues. Have now enabled my Nas to allow XBMC to browse the file structure using NFS and rescanned my collection, this was a pain as I had configured my sets but gives me something else to do again.

Followed this guide to setup my synology Nas: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS

On a plus though I have since upgraded to frodo alpha 6 on all off my clients and use MySQL for the database, thumbs are now sync'ed without using the advanced XML file and my 1200 movie collection is very fast Big Grin loving the new function.

Big thanks to the dev team this new function is making XBMC my fav player now by far... Goodbye plex Big Grin
ok so further testing.. When i wake my Mac Mini from sleep and use XBMC is still asks me if i want to remove the files as they cant be found in the library, i believe this is because my NAS spins down my drives after 20 mins..

I have been looking around to see if there is an easy way of restarting the XBMC client and have found the below, is there any way of running this upon waking? I have read that you can use sleepwatcher but think that applescripts arent supported... any help here would be great Smile i'm not good with scripting on macs at all sorry.. the below script does work as planned just wanted this run when the mac wakes up.

set XBMCClientProcesses to {"XBMC", "XBMCHelper"}

tell application "System Events"
repeat with XBMCClientProcesses in XBMCClientProcesses
set XBMCClientProcessesUnixID to (unix id of processes whose name is XBMCClientProcesses)
try
do shell script "kill -9 " & XBMCClientProcessesUnixID
end try
end repeat
end tell

do shell script "open -a XBMC"

Thank you Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nas shutdowns0