Win NFS on WHS-2011 Issues
So I've got NFS all setup on my Windows Home Server 2011 box. I am using Drive Bender to pool all my hard drives into one disk. I've got 2 NFS shares setup from the drive pool. Exceptions have been added to the Firewall to allow it to work.

XBMC is running on another Windows 7 box on the same network (with firewall disabled on all counts), using the general release of eden. When I try to setup my shares using NFS, this is what happens
  • I click Browse (from the Add Video Source Menu)
  • I click the Network File System (NFS) option
  • I click the machine with the share (based on IP)
  • Here it shows both of the folders I shared using NFS (Movies and TV Shows)
When doing this, I am unable to go any further. It will not let me click on the folders. If I just try to type the address in the Add Video Source menu, it says the location cannot be found.

I looked at my log file and saw some errors, but wasn't sure how to decipher them.

Here is the log file.

Also: SMB is working on those same folders.

Any ideas?
From my understanding, neither Drivebender, Stablebit or FlexRAID support, or work with, NFS. You can use NFS with shares, but not from a drivepool.
Do you mean that they don't play well with XBMC or that they just don't support NFS? DriveBender put out an update a short time ago natively supporting NFS.
I wasn't aware DriveBender had supported NFS, just a question but are you using MS NFS or another NFS server ?
Built in MS NFS.
From what their forum says ( http://forum.drivebender.com/index.php?topic=814.0 ) their recent beta still does not have NFS, although the posting is dated.
From the FlexRAID forums, - " Turns out that Windows NFS will not work with mount points at all (and yes, it cost a support call to find that this limitation has been extensively documented within Microsoft). In fact, one of the unspoken and unwritten requirements for NFS on Windows is that there be a drive letter associated with the NFS share "
Check out release 1.2.4.5. It was released in February. (just ctr-f "NFS")

* I just read further in that drive bender forum that you linked. Looks like they may have added the functionality, but that it doesn't work as expected?
There is this - " Yes, the HaneWIN would work sporatically since upgrading to the final release, but mostly not at all.. I could create a single export folder (with several folders within it) , or multiple exports (Single folder for each) and only one folder would ever show it's contents. Then another box would see nothing at all. I tried FreeNFS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenfs/?_test=b) and it worked right the first time. It does however have a few caveats. First is there is only one Export (but if all your folders are under it, then this is okay). Second, it does not run as a service, but again this is fixable by using "nssm" (http://nssm.cc/). You have to configure it at least once, before setting it to run as a service as you lose the setup icon and you should set the service for Automatic (Delayed) to ensure the Storage Pool is online before it starts. I am experimenting with trying to get it running in multiple instances, for more than one export. thus far I have 4 Media Players pulling Full BD Rips simultaeously from my media server sharing it's content via NFS (Samba/CIFS was not allowing that), or at least i did until i upgraded my processor and RAM, so now FlexRAID thinks I am on a new box. LoL -- just couldn't stop tinkering............ " - good luck.
But the link I posted was from a later date, and indicated there were problems with NFS..
Yeah, I think NFS is still under construction.
I have a WHS 2011 setup and just use the built in media sharing function within WHS. In XBMC I link using SMB sharing. This method requires no additional steps for set up. I have sharing turned on for Music, Photos, Recorded TV, Videos (AVIs, MP4..) and DVD Rips including BluRay ( all in ISO format).
Just curious, why use NFS instead of SMB?
Hello,

I have tried to configure XBMC to access NFS share by using FreeNFS with no luck. When I try to add a source and browse with NFS no share is detected. I tried to add the share manually but it doesn't work too.
When I try to peform the same action with XBMC but using Hanewin the share is detected and can be added.

@Benogil: Can you please give me more details on how you proceed?

Thank you in advance.
go back in to whs 2011 and right click on the files you are trying to share then hover over share with then click specific people and in the top field click the expansion arrow and select everyone and then set permission and now your files will show up in xbmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS on WHS-2011 Issues2