Linux video issues
Question 
I am running xbmcbuntu eden 11.0. I have an celeron 420 1.6ghz with 2gb ram. Video playback was ok with the onboard video (mesa dri intel 945G). I just wanted to be able to watch 1080p, bitstream audio and possibly 3d blu rays in the future. So I just installed a Asus GT 430 and the computer is worse now than before I put it in. Idle CPU speed in xbmcbuntu went from 30% to 100%. The interface is so laggy scrolling through the menus was almost impossible.

thanks in advance
this is the motherboard, maybe this will help

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product...=1&LanID=0

thanks
Most likely you need to install the proper Nvidia drivers. Do a search for adding the nvidia x-swat ppa
From a terminal type:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

That will install the official nvidia drivers.
I tried but my screen is off size. In the terminal I see is
0 computername tty2
in:

typed sudo apt-get install nvidia-current and it timed out, and left me at in:

This is with the onboard video. What command should I prefix this with? Sorry I don't have much to work with
Timed out? The computer needs to be connected to the net as it needs to download new packages.
It's direct wired into my modem. I know it is connected b/c I tried again streaming music while doing this. The exact response I could see after typing sudo apt-get install nvidia-current is as follows:
out after 60 seconds.
0 mediapc tty1
in:

stupid question, It shouldn't matter that nvidia card isn't currently in the PC right?
Not 100% sure if it will completely install with out the card in the PC (I think the drivers will install but will need to be reconfigured after the card is installed). How are you accessing the terminal?
I am accessing the terminal with ctrl+ alt+ f2. any way to change resolution in the terminal so I could get full message?
You're using xbmcbuntu right? Try logging into the desktop session and using the terminal program, this was you can resize the window.
The screen resolution is already correct in xbmcbuntu. When I hit ctrl+atl+ f1, the terminal looks the same as when I go from xbmc. The resolution in the terminal is actually correct too. Just sized wrong? What is the prompt supposed to say?
UPDATE: I hooked up a desktop monitor and could see the terminal is asking for username and password. I typed the same username and password that allows me to boot into XBMCBuntu or XBMC upon startup but it doesn't work. I tried xbmc and xbmc, xbmc no password, my username and xbmc as the pass (found a thread on another forum stating this might be an issue) none worked.
nobody has had this problem?
I finally was able to log in as root user and typed : sudo apt-get install nvidia-current rebooted my computer and still have the same problem from post #1.

I am running xbmcbuntu eden 11.0. I have an celeron 420 1.6ghz with 2gb ram. Video playback was ok with the onboard video (mesa dri intel 945G). I just wanted to be able to watch 1080p, bitstream audio and possibly 3d blu rays in the future. So I just installed a Asus GT 430 and the computer is worse now than before I put it in. Idle CPU speed in xbmcbuntu went from 30% to 100%. The interface is so laggy scrolling through the menus was almost impossible.

One thing I did learn is I can use the video card with no problem in xbmcbuntu. I pulled up chromium and watched a video in youtube. Also there was no lag when navigating in xbmcbuntu.
Is there some tutorial I am missing? There has to be somebody on here who knows what's wrong.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
video issues0