Linux SMB using hostname in XBMCbuntu 11.0
Hi all,

Setup:
- Internet provider: Telenet Belgium (They provide the IP's for all devices, so there is only a modem and switches, no router) -> Makes using static IP impossible
- NAS: Synology DS212+ (Name: HomeNAS)
- Xbmcbuntu Eden 11.0

I want to stream my movies using SMB from my NAS to the XBMC media center and use them in my media library.

When I connect using my macbook pro to my synology using smb: smb://HomeNAS.local (the .local is used on mac's: smb://HomeNAS will not work, but that's mac related):
--> No Problem, get popup for username and password, and i'm connected, and see all my movies listed.

When I go to video's in XBMC -> Add network location, choose SMB, fill in HomeNAS, fill in username + password. I get: Connection Refused.

Can someone help me with this one? I struggled with this for hours.

Thanks a lot!
If you are going through the ISP to connect device to device then you might need to try something other than SMB. A lot of ISPs block SMB connections outside of a local network as an anti-virus tactic.
Thanks for your reply.

But if my ISP would block the connection, then it would block the connection to my macbook pro too. While there is no problem when I connect trough SMB to my macbook pro.

Another option is connecting trough NFS:
When I scan my folder using NFS, scan goes normal. When the scan is finished, then i can open the movie library, but when i return to the main menu, my xbmc hangs and i get black screen.
I searched the net, and it's a common problem when the movie folder contains a unknown or corrupt file i read.

Someone who knows how i can see which file is corrupt, or a solution for NFS / SMB ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB using hostname in XBMCbuntu 11.00