new HTPC questions
(2012-06-25, 20:01)assassin Wrote: This is a pretty good list and reference...

http://mark.zoomcities.com/images/gfx/GF...andgen.png
That seem to be a good reference........

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-06-25, 20:07)bluray Wrote:
(2012-06-25, 20:01)assassin Wrote: This is a pretty good list and reference...

http://mark.zoomcities.com/images/gfx/GF...andgen.png
That seem to be a good reference........

Thanks for the affirmation. Glad you approve.
I have an A6 and can play most games on this system.
This wasn't intentional,..since my A6 was supposed to be only for HTPC uses.

However,.my gaming PC just died and I had to get my fix.
I was PLEASANTLY surprised that my A6 was up to the task.
Granted, I'm not playing the most graphic intensive games, and I imagine,...most casual gamers fall into this category.

It was also pretty sweet to play on a 42" LED TV, with Surround sound.
The downside was that I hogged up the TV for most of the day.

I was so happy,..am thinking about building a gaming and all around PC based on the A8 CPU.

(2012-06-25, 20:32)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: It was also pretty sweet to play on a 42" LED TV, with Surround sound.
The downside was that I hogged up the TV for most of the day.
Good HDTV and surround sound system make you enjoy the game/movie more......Nod

Thanks for all the input gents.

The original aim was actually just to find the cheapest Zbox that would stream web/nas HD and cope with Aeon.

But the enthusiasm around the hardware forum is infectious. This is why I'm trying to put together something a bit more interesting (and challenging) that will also serve as an adequate occasional games machine. (and last a bit) I blame all of you Big Grin

So the moment I'm trying to work out if its possible and then get an idea of the cost. I'm kind of pushing my luck by wanting it silent as well as gamey.

This is a rough estimate.

fc8 case $181
DDR3-1600 4GB ~ $30
crucial SSD 64G ~ $90
AMD A8 - 3820 ~$90
ASRock A75M-ITX ~$100
HD 6670 -65$

without the pico this puts me at about $550

Thats fine but its a lot to botch if it doesnt work Smile

Can anyone point me to a 'safe' pico that should work?

I also need to check if you can even Dual Graphics with that APU.
If you read the specs on the picoPSU one of the things you'll notice about running it at peak is that it requires "good ventilation" which you won't get in a passive case like the fc8. That leaves you probably needing one of the bigger picoPSUs -- the 150 or 160 -- so you are not running at peak. The possible issue there is the place on the back of the fc8 where you mount the picoPSU is for the connector you'd find on the less powerful picoPSUs. You'd need to mod the case for the 3-hole connector to mount it properly. With something in the PCI bay, modding that mounting hole is your only choice.

Are you able to find a low-profile passive single-slot HD6670 that'll fit in that case? Even a passive HD6570 has a large heatsink so there might not be room between the PCI-e slot and the side of the case.

(2012-06-26, 17:02)Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you read the specs on the picoPSU one of the things you'll notice about running it at peak is that it requires "good ventilation" which you won't get in a passive case like the fc8. That leaves you probably needing one of the bigger picoPSUs -- the 150 or 160 -- so you are not running at peak. The possible issue there is the place on the back of the fc8 where you mount the picoPSU is for the connector you'd find on the less powerful picoPSUs. You'd need to mod the case for the 3-hole connector to mount it properly. With something in the PCI bay, modding that mounting hole is your only choice.

Are you able to find a low-profile passive single-slot HD6670 that'll fit in that case? Even a passive HD6570 has a large heatsink so there might not be room between the PCI-e slot and the side of the case.

I just have my pico adapter hanging out of the case since I can;t get it screwed in at all. Sure looks unsightly but since I don't sit in my av stand I am cool with it.
Blaspheme! Wink

I am not sure he'll have any space to route it out the back with the PCI slot occupied.
(2012-06-26, 08:39)tamarind Wrote: This is a rough estimate.

fc8 case $181
DDR3-1600 4GB ~ $30
crucial SSD 64G ~ $90
AMD A8 - 3820 ~$90
ASRock A75M-ITX ~$100
HD 6670 -65$

without the pico this puts me at about $550

Can anyone point me to a 'safe' pico that should work?

I also need to check if you can even Dual Graphics with that APU.
This "picoPSU-160-XT + 192W Adapter Power Kit" might be the safest Pico PSU for your powerful A8-3820+HD6670 HTPC. You'll have to modify to fit DC adaptor in the rare panel.

Yes, HD6670 can crossfire with HD6550D.....AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics......you'll have a powerful HD6690D2.......
Look at this chart in the 160-XT manual:

(Source: http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR...manual.pdf)

Even though it's "160W", the max rated load on any rail really is 96W. The peak varies from 120W to 180W but can only be maintained for 60sec and even at the maximum rating, forced air ventilation is required.

Maximum rating for the 12V rail on the 150-XT is the same as the 160-XT and the 3.3V and 5V are slightly lower at 6A.

(Source: http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR...manual.pdf)

Again, peak load is only ok for 60 seconds. The manual also recommends not to exceed 65% of total power in sustained usage or 65C -- a possible issue in a fanless case.

So, I'd think about what automatically getting the "biggest" power supply is really going to get you for the extra money, especially since you cannot meet the ventilation requirements of maximum load in the FC8, the maximum 12V load is the same between the 150 and 160 and that you can only utilize peak power for 60 seconds, though maybe less in a fanless case due to the 65C rating.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I think I'm a bit in over my head with this build and I dont really have the tools if I need to experiment modifying the case/internals, assuming this is even possible.

I'm going to keep a close eye on Victory and Markus625 who are doing similar builds and see how they go before moving ahead.

Taking a different direction, if I was to aim for the same build but ditch the passive cooling what other case you recommend? So something preferably small that wont take over the tv cabinet, but wont be this tricky to put together and I'll just aim to keep the fan noise down?

This one "Antec ISK 300-150 Black Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 150 Watt Power Supply". It's very tiny and it included 150W PSU....
This is similar in look to the FC8: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei7.html and has 120W and 150W power supply options.
Ok so I've accepted the fact that what I'm really trying to do is an HTPC plus low-mid gaming PC. I thought I might try some overclocking as well.

I've already bought an SG08 (very nice case)
A8-3870k
gskill DDR3s 8G

then the plan would be to add an HD 6670. Maybe throw in a better cooler.

The thing is that I'm now having trouble finding the mobos. The most stable one for overclocking, the Asus a75-i deluxe seems to have disappeared off the planet. I can order in the GA-A75N-USB3 but there are none in australia. Other than that overclocking seems out of the question with the Zotac and ASRock.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I might just have to forget the overclocking and go with the ASRock it seems.

(2012-07-18, 15:56)tamarind Wrote: Ok so I've accepted the fact that what I'm really trying to do is an HTPC plus low-mid gaming PC. I thought I might try some overclocking as well.

I've already bought an SG08 (very nice case)
A8-3870k
gskill DDR3s 8G

then the plan would be to add an HD 6670. Maybe throw in a better cooler.

The thing is that I'm now having trouble finding the mobos. The most stable one for overclocking, the Asus a75-i deluxe seems to have disappeared off the planet. I can order in the GA-A75N-USB3 but there are none in australia. Other than that overclocking seems out of the question with the Zotac and ASRock.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I might just have to forget the overclocking and go with the ASRock it seems.
It is an excellent choice to go with SG08, and it is very nice indeed. With the A8-3870K, you might not need to overclock it. It is already a powerful CPU. With proper GPU, you should be able to play game on it.

It will probably getting harder to find FM1 mobo, because they are replacing it with FM2 for the new Trinity......I wish that AMD didn't do that.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new HTPC questions0