WASAPI USB Audio - Exclusive
Hi,

I am using a nightly build XBMCSetup-20120615-e82e22a-master trying to get WASAPI exclusive working over USB audio. I can get sound using DirectSound but when I switch to a WASAPI output device I notice two things:

1. My Musical Fidelity M1 DAC shows the incoming sample rate as 96Khz, regardless of what the file sample rate is.
2. There is no sound produced, even though the DAC seems to lock onto a signal

My OS is Windows 7 64 bit and hardware is a Zotac Nano.

I am able to get WASAPI working using Foobar 2000 but use XBMC for all movies and would like to use it for audio too.

Any help much appreciated.
{bump} Am I the only person to have encountered this?
Hi Mikehifi,
I may have the same problem with my Musical Fidelity V-DAC II. According to the Windows audio device pannel, the V-DAC II can only input 24-bit audio (with various sampling rates) but not 16-bit audio.

You can check that for the M1 DAC by clicking on the Windows audio pannel while your DAC is connected to the PC. It's in a drop-menu in the "advanced statistics" tab. (I'm not sure about the exact phrasing because my Windows version is in French).

When using DirectSound, it doesn't matter if XBMC outputs 16-bit because DirectSound takes care of adjusting the format to 24-bit. But with WASAPI exclusive, the player must output exactly 24-bit otherwise the DAC cannot process the signal.

For example when using another media player such as MPC-HC, I can use my DAC with WASAPI exclusive thanks to the ability to force 24-bit format in ffdshow or in ReClock settings. Unfortunately that does not seem possible with XBMC!
System: XBMC HTPC with USB WASAPI & AudioEngine - Musical Fidelity V-DAC II 24/94 or ESI Audiotrak Dr. DAC Nano SPIDF interface
Yes, I have my DirectSound settings at 24bit/96Khz with the effect that Windows upsamples any Redbook CD's first then passes the signal to my DAC with then proceeds to upsample again! Even worse is if I set DirectSound down to 16/44.1, if I do play 24/96 material then it gets downsampled 16/44.1 by Windows then upsampled again by my DAC - far from bit perfect and easy to see why WASAPI Exclusive is desirable.

I hadn't thought about XBMC not outputting a 24 bit signal. My DAC shows a 44.1Khz signal coming in under WASAP Exclusive but there is no sound. I should try some 24/96 stuff and see if it recognises the differenence. Maybe it's not locking on at all?

I'll try tonight and see if I get anywhere.

Cheers,

Mike
@mikehifi
I believe the problem you raised was solved by the September-12 nightly build of XBMC 12.0, which you may download here:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/
System: XBMC HTPC with USB WASAPI & AudioEngine - Musical Fidelity V-DAC II 24/94 or ESI Audiotrak Dr. DAC Nano SPIDF interface

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WASAPI USB Audio - Exclusive0