My NFS is slower than my SMB
I am running a Windows Home Server 2011 with the included NFS Server as well as the included SMB Server. I heard that NFS is faster than SMB so I decided to go with that but after some stuttering I decided to take a look. I got onto another computer in the same Gigabit network. First copied from NFS to Hard Drive it copied at about 40-50MB/s which is slow from what I gather since I keep hearing about 80MB/s. Then I copied the same file and SMB is maintaining anywhere between 60MB/s and 80MB/s and peaking at 85MB/s which is even faster than what I hear people getting in NFS. So my question to you guys is if NFS is supposed to be faster than SMB what am I doing wrong. Is it maybe the Windows Home Server 2011 (Based off Windows 2008 R2) NFS server is crap or what I likely think is the case of the people who typically ran NFS ran it on Linux where SMB was probably way slower since I hear of appalling speeds of like 11MB/s. Right now all my XBMC machines are Windows so I will be sticking to SMB unless someone can tell me how to improve the NFS but if I ever get a Raspberry Pi I might check out how different things are on Linux.
If you want my opinion. NFS is fast on unix world. SMB is fast on windows world. Don't mix it Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Serving from my Win7 box is vastly (and measurably) quicker using hanewin nfs vs. smb - it's particularly noticeable when listing very long lists of files, but just in general too.

But hey, if it ain't broke (and 60 to 80mb/s ain't broke), then why go for the more complex alternative? Just ust SMB if there's no benefit to you...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2012-06-26, 10:35)Memphiz Wrote: If you want my opinion. NFS is fast on unix world. SMB is fast on windows world. Don't mix it Wink

+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My NFS is slower than my SMB0