ATV2's Crashing after APT-GET Update\Upgrade
I have(now had) 4 ATV2's running 4.4.4 and eden and decided to Apt-get update\upgrade them and update the packages. Both of these worked initially except would no longer accept SSH or FTP connections, and when I power cycled them they would get as far as the front row menu and just at the point where the ATV detects the network and expands the apple content would reboot. If I unplugged the network cable I could get past and into XBMC, but once I plugged the cable in it would reboot.

I decided to wipe these two and reload 5.0.2 and initially everything worked fine with XBMC but once I Apt-Get and upgrade the misc packages most things I typed in SSH would result in an exception 11 and after the reboot SSH and FTP are gone again.

I must have wiped both of these about 20 times last night both manually installing and using NITO to install\upgrade (which i typically dont use) with no luck after the final package upgrade

At last I redid it again with 5.0.2 and manually installed XBMC and manually apt install-ed SQL ZIP\UNZIP and some other misc pending packages, but did not upgrade coreutils coreutils-bin curl mobilesubstrate openssh pcre uikittools wget

Not sure which one of the above packages (presume openssh at least) is causing 4.4.4 to reboot and 5.0.2 to loose SSH\FTP but if other people upgrade or use NITO auto upgrade then my fear is one by one all ATV's are going to loose the ability to get root access and cause everybody to have to re-flash the units again.

Is anybody else having similar issues?

Regards,
Mike
Also note - All 4 of these had been working flawlessly since April when I upgraded to Eden.... Should of left it alone!
Its time to blame the right folks on these update ssh breaking issues. To name them for you - its AtvFlash or NitoTV (depends who brings the madnass for you). So go get em - we don't have to do anything with this breakage.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks - I'll start raising hell, How dare they!

Thanks for the respose - and XBMC, You guys Rock!

Regards,
Mike Pisano

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2's Crashing after APT-GET Update\Upgrade0