Win Media Portal PVR Client
Hi,

I'm a long term MediaPortal user that decided to take XBMC PVR out for spin...

Using margro's build (xbmc-11.0-pvr-margro_v3) and MP PVR Client. Setup was easy, everything started nicely at the first try :-) . Mode is set to TSReader, RTSP, and don't stop timeshifting. Suppose this corresponds to the defaults in MP.

Noticed a couple a flaws (perhaps already known).
- Audio lost when changing channels. Tune in to channel with AC3 sound, switch to channel with 2ch sound, then audio is lost. To recover stop/start again. This problem has been addressed (more than once..) in MP.

- Not possible to search forward/backward on recorded content. Works using ffmpeg mode.

- Some major hangings when changing channels.

If more info is required, let me know.

Regards
/jonas
Disable fast channel switching (aka don't stop timeshifting) and most problems with channel switching are gone.
I'm still working on this part. That is why this option is disabled by default.

Forward/backward search should work in this build if you disable RTSP. I haven't tested forward/backward on RTSP (non ffmpeg mode) recently. Will put that on my list.

Note: if you are using a multiseat setup, you will need to share the timeshift and recordings folders on the backend machine when you disable RTSP streaming.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Channel switching issues are gone when timeshifting is stopped, but it takes like forever to change channels ;-)

Can't get forward/backward search to work even if RTSP is disabled, note the problem is on previously recorded content.

I'm using a multiseat setup, timeshift and recording folders are shared. Some other questions related to this;

- The "create share" button in the TVserver plugin, should it actually create the share automatically? This didn't happen here.

- The share is passwd protected,and it seems like XBMC cant' access it until I have logged in to it via Explorer. Yes, I did enter my credentials in the MP PVR setup.

Another question what are the pros/cons with ffmpeg and TSReader? TSReader/Writer is MP developed.

Keep up the good work!
(2012-06-27, 21:41)Jbravo Wrote: Channel switching issues are gone when timeshifting is stopped, but it takes like forever to change channels ;-)
Yeah I know. I need to detect the exact point in the timeshift buffer file to fix it. I have to import more code from MediaPortal for this.

(2012-06-27, 21:41)Jbravo Wrote: Can't get forward/backward search to work even if RTSP is disabled, note the problem is on previously recorded content.

I'm using a multiseat setup, timeshift and recording folders are shared. Some other questions related to this;

- The "create share" button in the TVserver plugin, should it actually create the share automatically? This didn't happen here.
Will check this. Thanks for reporting!

(2012-06-27, 21:41)Jbravo Wrote: - The share is passwd protected,and it seems like XBMC cant' access it until I have logged in to it via Explorer. Yes, I did enter my credentials in the MP PVR setup.
That is correct. These options are for Linux/OSX but I cannot tell XBMC to hide them under Windows at the moment.

(2012-06-27, 21:41)Jbravo Wrote: Another question what are the pros/cons with ffmpeg and TSReader? TSReader/Writer is MP developed.
The "ffmpeg" option uses XBMC's internal ffmpeg library for playing the RTSP stream from the TV Server. It was my first attempt to realize this addon. The biggest advantage was that the addon only has to tell XBMC which stream to play and that it is suitable for non-Windows usage.
However, the RTSP code in ffmpeg seems to be a bit buggy. It showed many artifacts on especially HD streams.

That is why I started developing a replacement based on the TSReader code from MediaPortal itself. The TSReader code can read directly from the timeshift buffer files resulting in faster channel switch times and less artifacts.
Because the original TSReader code is Windows-only, I have rewritten the essential code to a cross-platform version together with Red-f (the main developer of the ForTheRecord addon).
At this moment, I consider the "ffmpeg" option as deprecated because the performance of the "TSReader" approach is much better for most users.
The preferred options at the moment are the defaults: TSReader without RTSP and no fast channel switching.

Note that the TSReader in my addon contains only a subset of the code from MediaPortal, so not all functionality that the MediaPortal version has, is available in XBMC.
A particular example is the channel-switch detection code. When you switch a channel on the TV Server, the amount and type of the streams inside the timeshift buffer change suddenly. This means that XBMC should re-detect the stream types to switch from e.g. MP2 audio to AC3. This currently happens only on an XBMC initiated channel switch and as you have experienced already, it does not yet work flawlessly.
The porting of this detection part is work in progress at the moment. I hope to add this part in the coming month (depending on the available time I have). It is already working on my development system (Windows).
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
Thanks for your answer.
@Margo:

I'm using the same setup.

I can't get subtitles in PVR (Live TV) to work, teletext subs I think it is. Is it supported?

Thanks.
Not sure what you mean, but I can see teletect subtitles here. In the Netherlands, they are on page 888 and I can enable them by manually browsing to this teletext page.
I don't know the details behind automatic detection of teletext subtitles.
It is outside the scope of my addon and something that should be handled inside XBMC. I'm just passing the binary transport stream to XBMC.

I've seen that DVB subtitles (separate stream) are enabled automatically when available.

Thanks for your response!

What I mean is, that if I go to settings for Mediaportal (not Server), then TV and the tab for Subtitles I can tick "Teletext subtitles", and then in Canal+ etc I get subs when viewed in Mediaportal.

In XBMC this setting is missing, and the subs are gone. I don't think I should manually try to enable teletext subs in teletext window by browsing to a specific page. Sholud I?
If I can fix this by myself it would be nice.

One other queston. The DVB-info about the different channels, can it be updated somehow. Seems stuck now at "no information" for some of my channels...

Thanks.
(2012-07-08, 10:49)polecats Wrote: @Margo:

I'm using the same setup.

I can't get subtitles in PVR (Live TV) to work, teletext subs I think it is. Is it supported?

Thanks.

Hi

I have the same problem even the recorded broadcast has the problem, i think it must be a kind of codec missing in XBMC to handle the subtitles..

regards

Omel
when i looked at this a couple of months ago, i couldn't find explicit subtitle support for teletext. I beleive you need to enable teletext and then goto the actual page. I think it would be a great feature to support teletext subttitle as anyother subtitle.
This is not an explicit pvr issue. it relates to any video with a teletext stream.
Hi,

Interesting... Maybe I have to enable the teletext subtitles per every channel/program/movie by choosing the appropriate teletext page.
I have searched this forum about this and it seems that this issue comes up a lot of times but there is no resolution. I found a registered feature request that I beleive focus on this topic.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11744.
I would really like to get the teletext subtitle supported as any other subtitle. Currently when running on atv2 it is impossible to reach the teletext subtitle on a recorded videostream (in video mode). On live-tv it can be reached but when active it's imposible to control the other functions since the teletext function is grabbing the remote buttons.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Portal PVR Client0