HTPC from old stuff or is better a new build?
First let me apologize for my bad english, it's not my native language.

I just upgraded my main desktop, and i have now some spare parts that i want to assemble into a HTPC if possible, otherwise i think i'll just look to make a new build for it. I'll use the HTPC for XBMC and bd3d playig, other than usenetbox/torrentbox with sickbeard and browsing (maybe some nes emulator too and hidden object gaming for the family Big Grin), so it wil be on 24/7 (i hope).
Actually i have those spare parts:
M/B Asorck A790GXH/128M (with integrated Radeon HD3000 i believe)
Phenom x3 740 (95W i believe)
Geforce GTS 240
4gb ram and 1tb hd

I believe the cpu has enough horsepower (with the integrated gpu) to handle BD (maybe not 3d but i can skip that for now) or XBMC with download in background, but i'm really concerned about size, heat and noise. I saw some nice psu with 18dba noise level and 400w output (should be enough, naturally 80plus), but i don't now if a low noise or fanless heatsink can handle that cpu (maybe i can downclock it a bit), and didn't see any nice full ATX case.

SO is it worth to reuse that stuff or i simply move to a a6-3500 build? A bigger case could help for heat dissipation with that build? Is it imperative that i move to a microatx form factor? Honestly i don't like leaving hardware unused around and that stuff hasn't much value now Smile
Thanks everyone, and again sorry for my grammar Smile
If you have spare parts and can build a HTPC out of it, I say go for it! You mention a Geforce GTS 240 but then talk about using the integrated graphics, why not use the GTS 240 since you have it?

Your processor has a higher CPU PassMark score than the A6-3500 so I see no reason to spend the money building an A6 based system. With the right case, PSU and CPU Heatsink/fan you can make that into a a very nice and quiet system.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

I'm worried about the heat and noise generated by the vga, maybe i can search for better fans...
btw the graphic card is a gtx260, i was wrong (i went checking in the garage)
790GX northbridge boards have the HD3300 GPU. It is capable of 1080p video. You will not get 3D or HD audio bitstreaming.

The thing to do is start with the fewest components, like the built-in GPU, the x3, 4GB RAM and 1TB drive. If it doesn't work then think about what's needed. If you want HD audio then you can add a HD6450 or GT430 discrete GPU. If it's not "snappy" enough for you then you can get an SSD for OS/programs and use the 1TB drive for files. If the CPU cooler is too noisy, find a new CPU cooler that will fit. The thing to stay away from will be parts you would not be able to use if you decided to do away with the CPU and motherboard. A new video card, SSD, CPU cooler and HTPC case would all be usable in a future build so it would be no issue.

There are nice ATX HTPC-style cases, if you let us know what country you live in we might be able to help find one.
Thanks all for the support, i live in italy and was actually thinking of going the way you suggested Dougie, i'll get only a new psu, case, bd drive and heatsink. I saw that 6450 and 6570 fanless go cheap (around 30€ and 50€) so if i encounter some problem, i'll use one of those. Any suggestion for those things? Was thinking about BE QUIET Alimentatore 350Watt System Power and Zalman CNPS8900 Extreme, does those sounds right?
Thanks again
Is the PSU this model: http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/294 ?

All will depend on the case you choose -- if the components can fit. I am not sure your budget but there do seems to be some good choices on ebay: http://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_from=R40&...Categories. Those Techsolo cases are something I've been looking at myself for import. There's a tall ATX and slim ATX version it looks like.

Exactly the things i was looking at Smile That was the psu i found on an online store, but if you have other suggestions i'll look for them. I think case is sold, Techsolo 380, nothing more around that looks good enough Smile Thanks again, i'll make the order tomorrow.
I don't know that power supply brand. I would suggest looking around for reviews.
The GT 240 is fine for GPU it quiet and produces very little heat. I actually am selling one i just upgrated to the 6670 but the GT240 is a good card

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC from old stuff or is better a new build?0