What's the requisite to throw out sound over HDMI
Hello.
I am trying to build a XBMC equipment either based on an old equipment or a new barebone.
As far as I remenber, some time ago it was not possible to use HDMI for sound in old equipment. I have not been around some time and I think this has changed.

So... If I use some "old" equipment, what should I consider to be sure I can use HDMI for sound?
Any other advice when using not so fresh equipments?

Thanks a lot
If by "old", I assume you mean components without HDMI inputs. In which case you'll need a converter. I'm sure there must be some that will take the HDMI audio and output to Toslink/Optical or coaxial audio, but I know for sure there are ones that output to RCA audio.

But for audio HDMI source, every GPU that has an HDMI connection has been able to output 5.1 audio.
(2012-07-02, 16:43)argh! Wrote: But for audio HDMI source, every GPU that has an HDMI connection has been able to output 5.1 audio.

As far I knew most of the GPUs with HDMI some time ago (no so much) were not able to deal with the sound only the graphics and everybody was using HDMI+SPIF or HDMI+toslink.

Hmm haven't really heard of this before (no sound on hdmi), but have "old" is your equipment though, you'll at least need pcie slot for the current gen video cards.
HDMI can carry 5.1 audio. I don't know of any ever created that did not have this ability.
You'd want something like this: http://octavainc.com/HDMI%201x1%20Audio%...erter.html
i have an older dell laptop that has hdmi and will not produce sound ( they say its the drivers, there has been all kinds of work arrounds for it for many people it has been hit and miss, i just didnt bothher after a couple of tries)
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
"Old" is a very vague term and without specifics, a useful answer really can't be given.
Thanks for your replies
To my knowledge, only a couple of years ago most of the motherboards had a sound chip (usually realtek) and all the sound was coming out using any type of outputs these motherboards were having. On the other hand most GPUs were graphic dedicated devides, some had DVI (no sound no encrypted version of HDMI) and sometines they were having DVI and HDMI, but as far as I remenber HDMI was just using video capabilities. Otherwise they had a collision of functionallities with motherboard sound card.

So... to my knowledge, every GPU two years old or so should not be able to deliver any type os sound over the HDMI. As far as I remenber ATI was the first to enable sound over its HDMI.
I might be wrong, but if I am, what it is now selecting what handles the sound?, the motherboard or the GPU? If I am not wrong I assume I should use a new GPU to have sound over the HDMI if I am using a two years old equipment.
I hope this clarify my question (despites my english)
Best regards,
(2012-07-03, 00:14)assassin Wrote: HDMI can carry 5.1 audio. I don't know of any ever created that did not have this ability.
My first HDMI GPU could not play sound over HDMI, it had a separate cable which had to pass out the back of the computer to allow sound output. We are talking old though, NX7300GS:

Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Why arn't you specifying any hardware?

Even the PCI-E Radeon HD 4XXX's had HDMI audio and those are from four years ago.

You -really- need to give some specifics instead of just trying to assign a year.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's the requisite to throw out sound over HDMI0