No sound after switching from hdmi to cable then back on tv
Hello.
I have a problem that i get no sound after switching from hdmi to cable then back to hdmi on tv.

I have my mac mini with xbmc on hdmi, and sometimes i pause och stop a movie or serie for a bathroom break, then i switch my LG tv from hdmi to cabe so there will not be a static screen while im in bathroom.

When switching back to hdmi to resume the sound is gone, then i have to quit xbmc and restart xbmc again to get the sound back.

Is it a xbmc problem or is it the tv that loses the sound in some way?

I dont remember having this issue pre eden (or maby earlier)

im using the latest nightlys but i have had this problem a long time.

Im running the sound via the hdmi cable to the tv as default sound output.
I have this problem with a mac mini. I'm using the latest Frodo Alpha. After waking the computer from sleep the sound can only be heard via the minis internal speaker and not via HDMI. I assume this is a bug.
My late 2010 Mini does the same thing running the latest nightly (on a clean install of Lion + all updates). No other software installed, no add ons to XBMC or anything else.

HDMI runs to a Yamaha receiver and I also now have an issue where the audio locks itself into *straight* mode so I can't upmix to 5.1ch and am stuck in 2channel mode (when viewing 2.0 materials) mkv's in 5.1 seem to work perfectly fine.

(also when starting up the first video I play runs in the background (ie the menu stats visible), pressing stop has no effect for 20 - 30 seconds after which it flashes to the video, then stops and goes back to the menu. Playing again and the video works fine).
Im still having this problem with 12,2.
Everytime i switch back from AV Input = TV to AV Input = HDMI 1, there is no sound in XBMC.
Sollution is to restart XBMC or go into Settings / System / Audio Output, and cycle throu the Audio output: Optical/coax -> Analog and back to HDMI. when exiting the settings menu the navigation sound is back again.

Been trying some nightlys on and off but no one seems to have a fix.

I know there was some pre 12,0 version that did work, but i dont know if that was before Lion.
Im still running lion 10.8.5.
Your poop breaks must be really long if you're afraid of plasma burn-in(?). Does audio output device have any effect (HDMI<>Default)?

But given the state of OSX audio, and that every AV receiver handles HDMI handshake differently I would not change the inputs and would enable screensaver in XBMC.
Well since i do use my livingroom tv for more then just XBMC, the first post was only an example of how this problem occure.

It dosent matter of how long time the tv stands in another AV input but hdmi. (cykeling throu the av inputs once in 2 seconds is the same)
If i change to se if any tv program is started or if i turn the tv off for weeks, as soon as i go back to av input hdmi, and the mac mini is still running xbmc, the sound is gone and i have to cycle throu the audio outputs to get it back.

I just wounder if its xbmc related or osx related, because it have worked sometime in the past.
Try setting output device as "default". Then Mac OS X will handle it and it should detect HDMI changes a little better. Another alternative (which sounds weird, but is highly effective) is the HDMI pin 19 trick: HDMI#HDMI_pin_19_trick (wiki)
I reported a similar issue here where TV standby or switching inputs kills audio (and video). There is a debug log etc.

I had assumed it was mavericks as this is when it started.

I am preparing to go back to Mountain Lion shortly or install a 2nd boot drive for testing.

Under ML with 12.2 and many nighlies it had been flawless whereas now with mavericks:

- Apple remote intermittently passes to system
- Xbmc needs a 2 second delay before starting as part of boot/login
- Audio and video dies on Tv standby or TV input switch (and then back to xbmc)

Will test and post separately as to ML versus Mavericks .. Also will try pin 19 trick on the weekend - just frustrating as i never needed it before now - suspect it will work ..
Possible fix incoming here

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3861
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Very cool. As soon as a build is avaible for os-x x86-64 I will be more than happy to test.

Update: Checked out the code on git - looks good to the ill informed - excited to see fix on the way - on the weekend I will build an ML clone for comparison testing. Any Devs feel free to PM me if you need like for like testing of a specific fix in XBMC on Mavericks vs ML on 2013 mac mini with panasonic plasma as head.
Fixed. Great stuff. I am very happy to report that TV standby and input change no longer causes audio to stop and video to stutter !

Interestingly, tonight I noticed that my vnc client now (with mavericks) also barfs when I standby the TV .. Apple clearly made some changes to the device management under this circumstance - interestingly the hardware profiler still reports the presence of the TV when it is in standby whereas not when off (as expected). I learnt the hard way never reboot the mac without TV on or in standby.
(2013-12-18, 00:23)Memphiz Wrote: Possible fix incoming here

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3861

Seems like this was the one wee been waiting for so long.
THANX
I am facing a same issue on my NUC recently
nuc is not osx i guess - unlikely that its the same cause then...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound after switching from hdmi to cable then back on tv0