error, please check the selected location
I am away from home logging into an unsecured WIFI network. It says I'm logged on under the settings/network tab, but back on the frontrow menu I get the "error, please check the selected location" error. There is no tab for TV or Movies and youtube doesn't work etc. nothing on XBMC works either, but the tab is there.

When I log on using my laptop, it initially took me to a welcome screen for the place that I'm staying at, but no password etc. was required. Is it somehow connected to that welcome screen? Is it waiting for appletv to visit that URL as some sor tof authorization?
I guess I needed to explain it's an aTV2? Sorry, just assumed it was obvious. Has anyone seen this error or had trouble logging into their aTV2 from a hotel with wifi service?
Looks like this might be the answer... I will have to modify for a PC, is it possible to modify these instructions for a PC running windows 7? Mac is foreign to me and this looks a little more involved than something I can do on a PC (got these instructions from here http://telastipes.blogspot.com/ halfway down the page):

1. Hook up your apple TV and go to network settings. Take down the MAC address.

2. Change your laptop or other devices MAC address to be the same as the Apple TV. On a macbook this can be achieved with terminal. Use the command: ifconfig en0 | grep ether to check the current mac address. Change the address with the command sudo ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Use en1 to change the address of airport on the macbook.

3. Plug hotel ethernet cable into laptop. Then open an internet browser on the laptop and accept the agreement on your hotel's wifi splash screen.

4. Take down the computers ip, subnet, router, dns information from system preferences.

5. Now plug the ethernet cable into apple TV. In network settings enter the information you took down from your laptop.

6. Hope this worked! Worked for me.
this seems to be my answer. The URL that comes up when the hotel requires authentication is like the example below (from this site: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1024956):

Access Internet with Apple TV via Hotel WiFi
Need to connect your Apple TV 2 or other devices to the Internet using wifi from a hotel that requires a login screen but alas no web browser to provide credentials? You know when you connect to your hotel’s wifi network and the first time you try to access a webpage you are redirected to an internal page asking you to present credentials such as a code provided by the front desk or the name the room is registered under and the room number. Once presented and you accept the terms your machine is registered and allowed access to the Internet.

The authentication method is usually very simple such as MAC/IP validation. When you connect to the wifi network your MAC address is fetched from the ARP table and the corresponding IP address that was assigned to you during the DHCP negotiation. When the 1st request for access to an external site hits your gateway a lookup is done to see if the MAC/IP has been authenticated if not then a redirect to the logon page is initiated. Here is where the simple non cryptic URL comes into play. It will usually look something like this:
"http://ExampleISP.com/index.adp?MacAddr=XX%3aXX%3aXX%3aXX%3aXX%3aXX&IpAddr=10.10.2.112&continued..."

If it does you are in luck!

The construct of the URL string is done based on the IP associated with the NIC originating the request but the fetch comes from an external db and is not directly queried from the PC. In other words the webpage typically does not validate that the PC currently displaying the URL actually has that specific MAC/IP combo it is just assumed. So no MAC spoofing etc. is required

This writeup is not meant to help gain unauthorized access to the Internet or any other resources or to usurp any controls. It is assumed you have legitimate credentials and have been granted the privilege of use from the provider. Check the terms and condition to ensure you are not violating any conditions before proceeding.

Here is what is required to gain access:

1. Connect your Apple TV to the WiFi network as usual. Go to Settings>General>Network You should see a valid IP address and MAC address (WiFi Address i.e. b8:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) Keep this info handy
2. Connect to the same WiFi network from a device with web browser functionality such as a PC/MAC/IPAD/IPHONE. Once connected open a web browser and select an external site so that you are redirected to the URL requesting credentials. Copy and Paste the URL to a text editor.
a. Note: Authentication is usually granted for extended period such as 24hrs so if you have already accessed the internet from the device you may not be presented with the URL again till said time has lapsed so you might have to check your history to obtain.
3. Obtain the MAC and IP address from the device you connected with in step 2.
a. For PC go to command line and type ipconfig /all
b. For MAC go to a terminal session and type ifconfig
c. IPAD/IPHONE go to Settings>General>About (WiFi Address)
4. Now find the pattern in the URL that you copied to your text editor that matches the MAC and IP address you obtained in step 3. Note for the MAC address you will see a “%3a” pattern between 2 characters. This is Hex for the “:” portion of the MAC address and should be left in place instead of typing a “:”. If you see a bunch of %3a strings you are probably in the correct place. Replace the two characters that are separated by the %3a with the ones you obtained from your Apple TV in step 1 For example replace the first XX with b8 and so on. There are a total of 6 two character sets in a MAC address that will need to be replaced.
XX%3aXX%3aXX%3aXX%3aXX%3aXX where XX is the replacement
5. Replace the IP address portion of the URL with the IP address from your Apple TV (step 1)
6. Copy the modified URL back into the web browser and select enter. This in essence is allowing you to use your PC as a proxy for accepting any terms on behalf of your Apple TV. You will then provide your legitimate credentials and accept the terms and services agreement on behalf your Apple TV. Note: You must ensure your AppleTV is still actively connected to the WiFi network with the IP address in the URL prior to selecting the connect/ok/accept button if not then an error will most likely be returned from the website indicating that MAC/IP combination is not found.
Once you receive the confirmation page that access has been granted that should be it and you will be able to access Netflix etc… from your Apple TV for the duration of the validation period set forth by the provider.
Note: If afterwards you attempt to access an external site from the device utilized in step 2 you will most likely be issued the authentication url once again. This time with the actual devices MAC/IP address you will need to provide the appropriate credentials and accept the terms for it as well.
Thanks for all of your help everyone!
just to confirm, the above fix in post #4 worked. thanks again for the help.
hey there, just picked up an atv2....and when i plugged it in, this is the same error message i'm getting on my home screen but i'm not at a hotel.
home network through an airport time capsule. not sure why and if your above fixes would apply to my situation. i can't seem to find any other threads on this

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
error, please check the selected location0