OUYA - Android based open game console hardware platform and XBMC?
I mean Ouya is just a concept now, don't get me wrong, I like their idea and love to get one when it exist. But how can XBMC devs start develop and test it before it become real next year. At least XBMC started after Xbox on the market. I love to see Ouya as a great product instead of a successful funded idea. So far it is just not good enough to pay too much attention on it yet. I just tired to see too many stuff has great potential lately die out quietly.

I don't want to see another hope smash on the ground. So wake me up when it on sale. ;-)
(2012-07-13, 10:09)jompan87 Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 09:34)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 08:49)rere34lm Wrote: If Ouya can launch XBMC from out side of Android, then yes they are made for each other, if not then forget it. XBMC has long way to go to port to Android.
Here is XBMC forum. Ouya has nothing to do with it for now, no need to discuss.

I wonder ...

Now now Ned, if you have something to say, just say it Wink

It would sure seem that some were in the know of this beforehand Smile http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/
(2012-07-13, 15:55)rere34lm Wrote: I mean Ouya is just a concept now, don't get me wrong, I like their idea and love to get one when it exist. But how can XBMC devs start develop and test it before it become real next year.
Well the OUYA's hardware has already been specificed that it will be based on the NVIDIA Tegra 3 platform running Android 4.0 as the operating-system, and there are already quite a few other systems already available with the same specification, and more are on their way soon this fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_3

So you do not specifically have to develop XBMC for the OUYA, but instead just optmize XBMC for Android for all NVIDIA Tegra 3 devices in general.

Thanks to Team-XBMC who already ported XBMC to Android all and any improvements made to XBMC and XBMC for Android code especially will indirectly be of benfit to XBMC running on the OUYA in the future.

Really hope that Team-XBMC and the OUYA development teams will get in contact about a joint collaberation in any case Big Grin
Haha.. Classic. Sign up for an Ouya one day, post on XBMC about how cool it would be on there and the very next day the pretty much ready to download port is released!!!

Love the way this project runs!!! Congrats to the XBMC devs.!!

Now where's my OUYA! Big Grin

Open software and hardware. This is like a dream come true. No corps running about beating each other up with patents to our detriment. Maybe finally the lead through legalese era is over!

I haven't experienced this level of open since the 80's days of Commodore, Atari etc. I'd feared I might never see it again. This platform is gonna be great... You can just feel it. It's not about hardware spec, performance or 3D engine... Just good old fashioned fast enough hardware and real development.

Thanks XBMC for being ahead of the curve.

Cheers,

Arkay.
Damn, this is really interesting! I love the concept of this OUYA since it is perfect to get XBMC on with all that hardware! I might just donate 99 dollars to get a console myself.
Image :cool:
Yeah I would buy one!

Anyone still got a number for RUNTiME and Frodo? Big Grin

Good that they actively approve hacking! Just think how many more Xboxes MS would of shifted if they had let this team loose!
I just jumped in and backed this. $99 to reserve one of the first batch of shipments.

I've got a Xios but this seems more promising overall.

I'll gladly donate to anyone working on a custom XBMC build for this device.
Supporter of all things Linux, Android, XBMC and NextPVR
I really want to pre-order one too, but I've been trying to get any information about 24p support but nothing. I would use it as mediaplayer more than a gaming console and I don't want it to only be able to output e.g. 60hz. I've tried asking in forums for other devices with tegra 3 without any luck so far. Only 4 days left for pre-ordering. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge about this?
a developer tells me that Android OS owns and control the display properties, we can't touch it. He also says that he never heard of an Android device that runs in 24p
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

That dev would be me.
yeah i read about that in another thread, but what if someone made say an xbmc adapted android port? I don't know much about how this stuff works, but I guess it's up to nvidia to provide drivers, and i've heard they are not very keen on that.
i've asked the ouya team on their kickstarter page as well but no response
(2012-08-04, 00:04)pike Wrote: a developer tells me that Android OS owns and control the display properties, we can't touch it. He also says that he never heard of an Android device that runs in 24p

I own a Mele A2000 and i'm pretty sure in the output properties I can select 1920x1080p 24Hz. I'll check this evening to be sure.
Is there a way to have a device like the ouya by building a PC with similar specs, but running android?
The Mele does have 24Hz output but it's not tied to the media player so you have to run at that resolution at all times.

RGB_Gamer I'm not sure why you'd want to. There is an x86 Android project for PC's out there. You wouldn't have access to any of the Ouya games stuff, just stock Android marketplace and if all you want is an XBMC box just get the Pivos XIOS DS instead which is already available to buy..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OUYA - Android based open game console hardware platform and XBMC?2