Weird Apple tv2 problem!
I did all the steps but ifunbox keeps giving me this message:"locating apple mobile device runtime support"
and after 16 times ays that it can't initialize a device.
I checked ifunbox forums and there were some solutions that did not work for me.
Is there an alternative to ifunbox to transfer the files to PC?

cheers
I went back to the firecore forum and asked someone who was attempting to do the same thing with a Win7 box, here is what he said:

MightyMouse Wrote:i could not get the file structure to populate on my win7 box correctly. It would only show some of the structure.

I used a friend's mac and it worked fine.
badabing said he
badabing Wrote:used Win 7 x64 to fix mine.
so the problem is most likely unrelated to the OS. Also, If the PC (win7) is a computer that has previously never connected to ATV through itunes, then the correct drivers are missing from the PC.
Make sure to first connect it to iTunes and then attempt with the other 3rd party tools.
Also the ATV needs to be rebooted for afc2add to be loaded, which is a requirement to connect with the 3rd party tools via USB

You can also try
iPhone Explorer
http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

iPhone Browser
http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/downloads/list

so unless someone else can offer another solution, it sounds like you may need to either try a mac, try different software (i am unfamiliar with them) or do the re-jailbreak option instead. sorry.
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
Thanks Fritz for your help and taking the time.
I really appreciate it.
I guess I have to ask a friend who has a Mac .

Cheers
More info about connecting with if box on a win7:

If the PC (win7) is a computer that has previously never connected to ATV through itunes, then the correct drivers are missing from the PC.
Make sure to first connect it to iTunes and then attempt with the other 3rd party tools.
Also the ATV needs to be rebooted for afc2add to be loaded, which is a requirement to connect with the 3rd party tools via USB
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
Thanks but I have done it already!
I am getting a Mac from my buddy next week and I will try ifunbox on the Mac.

Cheers
Hi Fritz. Thanks for the nice instruction set, unfortunately I am having no luck.

I copied the .deb file to the apple TV with iFunBox, modified the startup file. When I get on the apple TV and highlight 'openssh' in NitoTV's "Install Software" screen, it says I have the older ssh version installed (5.8p1-9), but when I click "select" to go to the install/queue/remove/more screen for OpenSSH, it says I have 6.0p1-10 installed. The deb file is still there in the autoinstall folder when I power down and plug the appleTV back into iFunbox. Do you think I am not properly downgrading?

Any help you can provide is much appreciated! Really missing being able to remote in to my AppleTV!

Another interesting note: when I log into my router, the appleTV is not showing up in my DHCP client table -- even though it is connecting to the network and the internet just fine. Strange.
My first guess would be that if your atv is not connected, it never got the new ssh software during startup. (I think it has to download the file before it can install it).
Ensure it has a network connection.
Another note: I want to make sure you are not trying to use nitotv to try to make any changes, and you were only trying to view the ssh version. Any changes at this point are done through your pc.
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
Thank you so much for the excellent tutorial, I see that ppl are having problems following your guide, I did it the first time on my Windows 7 PC, replaced the dpkg file in i-funbox and it worked like a charm, thank you so much!!!!! No more network connection errors with Putty, everything is A o K, thanks again!

Maybe I can give a lil insight to the people that are having problems. Make sure you install afc2add an vsftpd in Nito TV, I couldnt find vsftpd, so i manually searched for it, it found it and I installed it! When I first connected my atv2 to i-fun box, it wouldnt connect or show up, so I switched USB ports on my laptop, it connected in 2 seconds, then you should switch i fun box to classic mode, then open up and go to Go to Raw File System, then Navigate to
/private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall

then Use CopyFromPC option to upload "openssh_5.8p1-9_iphoneos-arm.deb" into that directory (assuming you D/led it, an i saved it to my desktop)
then navigate to
/private/var/stash/libexec/cydia/startup
and use CopyToPC option to copy startup file to your pc/mac ( i used note pad to modify the dpkg line, I seen someone asking what file to delete and replace it with, delete whats in place of --force-downgrade and keep everything as it is following -i "${debs[@]}" 2>/tmp/dpkg.log 1>&2 , you just delete whats in before --force-downgrade and replace it with this dpkg --force-downgrade , thats all you modify!!!!

then upload it back to ATV using CopyFromPC option. Once you do that, unplugg your aptv2 from your computer, plug it back into your tv, and open up Putty and enter your atv2's ip address, it will connect with no problems, all your really doing is modifying that command and replacing it with just two words (--force-downgrade) it was so simple, I got it working the first try, koodos to you for the excellent tutorial you found!!!!
(2012-07-11, 23:13)Mehdiking Wrote: Fritzboyle,

What is the exact line that I have to modify?
(before and after)

Thanks

you really just have to delete whats in place of --force-downgrade, and what follows after it, leave it alone, --force-downgrade is what you put in to replace whats in there, everything that follows after --force-downgrade, keep it as it is -i "${debs[@]}" 2>/tmp/dpkg.log 1>&2

(2012-07-12, 06:23)Mehdiking Wrote: I am using win 7 and installed i funbox on it but it doesn't recognize my apple TV.

Any ideas?

When I first connected my apple tv to i fun box with power cord too, it kept saying "connecting to device" but it wouldn't connect, so I tried another USB port on my laptop and it connected in 2 seconds, then I followed the rest of Fritz instructions, basically you need to download the file in the instructions and install the 2 files in nito tv and in the code line, you just need to delete whats in there after dpkg and replace it with --force-downgrade, the rest of the code line is the same, then follow the rest of the instructions, 1st time, it worked like a charm for me! KOODOOS TO Fritz Boyle Smile
SSH FIX APPLE TV
THIS FIX WILL NOT INSTALL IKEE VIRUS
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO WORKS 100%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUY2DGon8UY
Despite what some people have said, I'd bet a lot of money that not a single ATV2 has actually gotten the IKEE virus. I'm not sure why people keep bringing it up.
Hello,

I am trying to install using afc2add from NitoTV but all I am getting following message...

com.saurik.substrate.safemode: Depends: mobilesubstrate (>=0.9.3367+38) but it is not going to be installed

remotehd-atv2: Depends: mobilesubstrate but it it not going to be installed

us.scw.afctwoadd: Depends: com.ericasadun.utilities but it is not going to be installed

E: Unment dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I also try to install Erica Utilities and few other packages and all I get above error message.

Please advice

Thanks,
JR
For anyone using a Mac it's easier to netatalk to solve this issue.

- install netatalk
- install vsftpd
- from the Mac, connect to the atv2 (Finder > Go > Connect to Server, afp://AppleTV.local might work, or use IP)
- copy the good sshd to /usr/sbin and create /usr/share/empty on the atv2 through Finder
- ftp to the atv2 to chmod 755 /usr/sbin/sshd

That's about it... give or take.
i've tried all the sequence, but.. no way out! i'm able to downgrade and after upgrade ssh, but nitotv doesn't show the new version. it doesn't upgrade nothing automatically, and so i m not able to connect with cyberduck.
i m able to connect via terminal. i m able to connect with nito installer, and with ifunbox. but not using ssh. what can i do?
Andrea

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weird Apple tv2 problem!0