New build, looking for input
(2012-07-12, 16:42)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Which benchmarks are those? Link?

In Passmark, in the CPU benchmarks i5-3570 scores 7730 while the A8-3870 scores 4791. In the GPU benchmarks HD6550D scores 623 while HD4000 scores 605. I hardly call that "beat it pretty easily".

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=...40+3.40GHz (7730)
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-3870+APU (4791)

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.ph...n+HD+6550D (623)
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.ph...el+HD+4000 (605)

BTW, not trying to start an argument or turn this into an Intel vs. AMD war. I'd like to see the counterpoint for my own education and the education of the community since this will come up time and time again.

GPU benchmarks for anything other than gaming are largely worthless. Even the reviewers often comment that PQ is largely subjective and not at all based on Benchmark scores. For 1080p and 720p there is no difference.
(2012-07-13, 00:28)assassin Wrote:
(2012-07-12, 16:42)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Which benchmarks are those? Link?

In Passmark, in the CPU benchmarks i5-3570 scores 7730 while the A8-3870 scores 4791. In the GPU benchmarks HD6550D scores 623 while HD4000 scores 605. I hardly call that "beat it pretty easily".

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=...40+3.40GHz (7730)
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-3870+APU (4791)

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.ph...n+HD+6550D (623)
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.ph...el+HD+4000 (605)

BTW, not trying to start an argument or turn this into an Intel vs. AMD war. I'd like to see the counterpoint for my own education and the education of the community since this will come up time and time again.

GPU benchmarks for anything other than gaming are largely worthless. Even the reviewers often comment that PQ is largely subjective and not at all based on Benchmark scores. For 1080p and 720p there is no difference.

I am addressing this: "I checked out the 3570, and in the benchmarks I looked at in comparison to the A8, the A8 seemed to beat it pretty easily until you added a dedicated GPU" not making any argument that benchmarks are somehow relevant or related to PQ. I want to see where it confirms that the A8-3870K easily beats the i5-3570K because everything I've read so far says the opposite. If there's something I missed it'd be nice to see it and learn from it.

Thanks for all the input on this. I didn't mean to piss off any of the intel fans, it just doesn't make any sense for me to spend that much more money for something I'll rarely if ever use. The fact is the A8 does what I need and between the CPU and MB, costs about 100 less, so I'm going to stick with it.
If I ever went for more of a gaming oriented machine the I5 along with a graphics card would definitely make more sense. For XBMC and other media viewing though, I think the A8 is going to be plenty.
(2012-07-13, 17:30)jangodango Wrote: Thanks for all the input on this. I didn't mean to piss off any of the intel fans, it just doesn't make any sense for me to spend that much more money for something I'll rarely if ever use. The fact is the A8 does what I need and between the CPU and MB, costs about 100 less, so I'm going to stick with it.
If I ever went for more of a gaming oriented machine the I5 along with a graphics card would definitely make more sense. For XBMC and other media viewing though, I think the A8 is going to be plenty.

The A8 will be more than plenty but an A6 will also be plenty and will benefit from being cheaper, lower power, cooler and hence should generate less noise.

My main issue with Llano is the lack of upgrade potential to the next generation cpu's, Trinity will use an FM2 socket so to upgrade you will have to throw out your FM1 motherboard. Both Sandybridge and Ivybridge use the existing 1155 CPU socket.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-07-13, 17:45)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 17:30)jangodango Wrote: Thanks for all the input on this. I didn't mean to piss off any of the intel fans, it just doesn't make any sense for me to spend that much more money for something I'll rarely if ever use. The fact is the A8 does what I need and between the CPU and MB, costs about 100 less, so I'm going to stick with it.

The A8 will be more than plenty but an A6 will also be plenty and will benefit from being cheaper, lower power, cooler and hence should generate less noise.

My main issue with Llano is the lack of upgrade potential to the next generation cpu's, Trinity will use an FM2 socket so to upgrade you will have to throw out your FM1 motherboard. Both Sandybridge and Ivybridge use the existing 1155 CPU socket.

David

Yup the A6-3500 will be plenty for your HTPC needs and more...

Yes it does suck that FM1 boards are not going to be compatible with anything else.

Look I am using the A6-3500's for one of my PC's for my desktop.

I just built an A8 system and it does run a little hotter.

But what ever makes you happy.

FWIW, I am not pissed off Smile. And, my Intel "fandom" comes with my satisfaction with the current generation. I felt that way about the previous AMD generation at one point. I take any of these posts as a learning opportunity so if there's some article, benchmark, etc. that shows something different than I've read I want to read about it. I genuinely wanted to see the benchmarks that said A8 "easily beats" i5 not because I want to prove something but because I want to know what the situation is where that's true so I am recommending the right hardware for the right situation. After all, my assumptions could be wrong!

I like this quote from a book I am reading: "The problem with various “better” assessments is that they are rarely universal. When someone states that something is better, it typically means “better for me” or “better for this particular application. I’m sure you could make a compelling argument for why the Mercedes C-class sedan is one of the best vehicles ever made. Your argument could be supported by an impressive list of design choices, engineering specifications, safety features, and so on. It would be a persuasive position–unless you needed to haul a half-ton of bricks up a dirt road. In that context, a luxury Mercedes sedan could quite possibly be the worst vehicle for the task."
We're fan of both AMD/Intel. It is misconception about AMD being cheaper than Intel, and we are here to inform you on it. If you are looking for cheaper HTPC, Intel G530/G620 can be built cheaper than AMD A8. It will playback all blu-ray files the same way as A8. It will playback with less power and cooler too......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
From my understanding I hear the G620 is great!

I never had played with it. But maybe one day I will try it out.

Add a crazy GPU to it and make it a gaming system ..... Smile

But from what I understand the integrated GPU on the G620 plays all on XBMC am I correct?
(2012-07-13, 22:23)Beer40oz Wrote: But from what I understand the integrated GPU on the G620 plays all on XBMC am I correct?

Yes.

G620T testing (Super 8 1080p MKV)...

i3 2100 by comparison...

Super 8 1080p MKV

Wall.E 1080p MKV direct Bluray Rip
So it does not use DXVA2 then....

so how is it when you FF or RW? does it Macroblock?

Thanx for the screenies.
Would I be able to run AEON MQ or any of the heavier skins on those cheaper Sandy Bridge intels? I'm coming from an ION and I'm not interested if it will perform similar to that.
I read alot of comments on here about Sandy Bridge cpus not properly displaying 23 fps video correctly, which is why I've been wary of using them. Were people just wrong about it or has something been done to fix the issue?
I'm debating going down to the A6 due to the heat issues. What kind of performance difference would I see with that instead of the a8?
(2012-07-13, 23:13)Beer40oz Wrote: So it does not use DXVA2 then....

so how is it when you FF or RW? does it Macroblock?

Thanx for the screenies.

No. Absolutely no reason to use DXVA2 with an Intel CPU.

Fine with FF and RW.

No macroblocking (see screens).
For your usage, you won't notice a performance difference between any of them. You would not notice between the G530 and the i7-3770 for watching/streaming video. There's a threshold where it either works or it does not and all these modern processors are capable of having it work. It's a matter of picking the best bang for your buck and what you want it to do.

As for the "24p" bug, none of the GPU manufacturers get it perfect 23.976. You might not even see the issue. Early on it was worse due to some driver issues but it's much better now. Googling the issue seems to pick up the old articles not the latest discussion. Start here work backwards: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333324/lets-s...ently-well.

A6-3500 is a great choice as well. It'll run much cooler than the A8. The GPU is the HD6530D.

This is from experience building all these things myself. For budget HTPC barebones I prefer the A6-3500 or Celeron G530/G540. The G620 and G530 are what I use in my personal HTPCs.
(2012-07-13, 23:18)jangodango Wrote: Would I be able to run AEON MQ or any of the heavier skins on those cheaper Sandy Bridge intels? I'm coming from an ION and I'm not interested if it will perform similar to that.
I read alot of comments on here about Sandy Bridge cpus not properly displaying 23 fps video correctly, which is why I've been wary of using them. Were people just wrong about it or has something been done to fix the issue?
I'm debating going down to the A6 due to the heat issues. What kind of performance difference would I see with that instead of the a8?

Absolutely. It can run AEON with aplomb.

Atom passmark is 300-700. The Intel G620 is 2485.

Intel does 23.976 as well as anyone. Let's set this straight. That thread has over 500 post with Intel, AMD and NVidia users alike all with issues. Many on this forum using AMD are likely not getting perfect 23.976 as well. Many people don't notice 1 missed frame in about 7000 frames. People like to blame Intel on this issue or think that they are the only one that can't do 23.976 correctly but its just not true as you can see by that thread I created over a year ago now. I have tried to correct this fallacy but it continues for some reason.

For HTPC you won't see much difference at all with the A8. You will see less heat production with the A6 and especially with the Intel options.
(2012-07-13, 22:23)Beer40oz Wrote: But from what I understand the integrated GPU on the G620 plays all on XBMC am I correct?
I used to have G530, and it can playback all blu-ray files I threw at it. I compared it to the latest i5 (HD2000), AMD (HD6450) and Nvidia (GT430), and the 1080P videos quality were the same.......

I configured Intel iGPU to run XBMC as below-

1. Installed the latest Intel driver- Check your system for the latest updates
2. Installed- Intel Management Engine Interface Driver]Intel Magagement Engine Interface Driver
3. Disabled DXVA2 and everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback
4. Disabled "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC settings/system/video output
5. Turn off UAC "Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 7"

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New build, looking for input0