[XBMCBuntu] No write rights on NAS
Hello,

Since I've upgraded from XBMC Live Dharma to XBMCBuntu Eden I've lost write rights on my NAS. I can see the folders on my NAS and I can play the media that's on there but I cannot write anything on it.

I've tried installing samba since it did not seem to be installed by default (the /etc/sabma folder was missing). Which I don't really understand since I could browser smb without having it installed.. :S

Am I missing something here? Should this not work by default?

I'm running XBMC 11.0 on Linux 3.0.0-22

I've also tried the solutions provided in this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126899&page=2 but it doesn't work :'(
Sounds to me like its a problem with your permissions on the server not the client, if you can see and read from them.

A chmod on the shared folder on the server will probably fix this.

Here is a good website on linux file permissions:http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/filepermissions.html
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-07-11, 21:12)charlie0440 Wrote: Sounds to me like its a problem with your permissions on the server not the client, if you can see and read from them.

A chmod on the shared folder on the server will probably fix this.

Here is a good website on linux file permissions:http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/filepermissions.html
What do you mean server? You mean my NAS? I haven't changed anything on my NAS.

Thanks for the link, but that's just too advanced for me I'm afraid. I don't even know how to get to the shared folder in the terminal.. and still, should this not simply work out-of-the-box? I worked in Dharma..
I do mean your NAS. If it was working before on a different OS, it may be that your user does not belong to the same group.

What are you using for a NAS?

Can you open up a terminal and navigate to one of your shared folders eg cd /mounted/share/name replacing with your directory structure
and paste the output of this command (it will show the permissions of the contents):
ls -l
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-07-11, 22:32)charlie0440 Wrote: I do mean your NAS. If it was working before on a different OS, it may be that your user does not belong to the same group.

What are you using for a NAS?

Can you open up a terminal and navigate to one of your shared folders eg cd /mounted/share/name replacing with your directory structure
and paste the output of this command (it will show the permissions of the contents):
ls -l
As the matter of fact i can't. I cannot find the share via the terminal. I can only find it using xbmc and browsing the network using smb.. I did manage to connect using smbclient. But I can't use ls -l there... Just ls shows me this:

Code:
.                                  DA        0  Sun Jul  1 16:40:49 2012
..                                 DA        0  Thu Jul  5 16:42:48 2012
Videos                             DA        0  Sat Jun 23 11:09:39 2012
Images                             DA        0  Sun Jul  1 16:40:51 2012

I'm assuming that mounting the drive is of no use since it should already be mounted. And the way it is mounted now is the way that's causing problems, so mounting it manually now to another directory would only be confusing. Or is that wrong?

I'm using a Synology DS211J. But I've never set specific rights for xbmc. I just made my media folder(s) public for the entire network.

if you mean you can only find it inside xbmc you're using xbmc's internal smb support.....
my xbmcbuntu I can see /etc/samba without doing anything extra....
(2012-07-12, 00:02)waver123 Wrote: if you mean you can only find it inside xbmc you're using xbmc's internal smb support.....
my xbmcbuntu I can see /etc/samba without doing anything extra....
I had to install samba to get /etc/samba. But yes, I can only find it in xbmc. I can't even find it when I exit xbmc to ubuntu. Any other tips?
(2012-07-12, 17:51)pkunk Wrote: I had to install samba to get /etc/samba. But yes, I can only find it in xbmc. I can't even find it when I exit xbmc to ubuntu. Any other tips?

Yes tell us what kind of NAS you are using so we can help you correct the permissions/set the proper user groups.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2012-07-12, 18:09)lrusak Wrote:
(2012-07-12, 17:51)pkunk Wrote: I had to install samba to get /etc/samba. But yes, I can only find it in xbmc. I can't even find it when I exit xbmc to ubuntu. Any other tips?
Yes tell us what kind of NAS you are using so we can help you correct the permissions/set the proper user groups.
Like I said, I'm using a Synology DS211J. I have never had to set any user permissing to share my nas with xbmc. Just to be sure I now added a new xbmc user with full admin rights all drives but it doesn't seem to help.
(2012-07-11, 23:42)pkunk Wrote: I'm using a Synology DS211J. But I've never set specific rights for xbmc. I just made my media folder(s) public for the entire network.
Did you verify these shares currently are defined with R/W access in the Synology DiskStation Manager?
Main Menu > Control Panel > Shared Folder > Privileges Setup (tab) > Read/Write (checked)

I know you said you never set any user permissions, but this is for permissions at the resource level rather than at the user level.

(I don't have one of these... just got this info from their on-line user's guide)
(2012-07-12, 20:04)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-07-11, 23:42)pkunk Wrote: I'm using a Synology DS211J. But I've never set specific rights for xbmc. I just made my media folder(s) public for the entire network.
Did you verify these shares currently are defined with R/W access in the Synology DiskStation Manager?
Main Menu > Control Panel > Shared Folder > Privileges Setup (tab) > Read/Write (checked)

I know you said you never set any user permissions, but this is for permissions at the resource level rather than at the user level.

(I don't have one of these... just got this info from their on-line user's guide)
Those permissions didn't need to be set before, but like I said I added an xbmc user to be sure. But to no effect. And since I was fed up with this problem I reinstalled XBMC using the xbmcfreak cd and now everything works as it should.. Too bad we'll never know the problem (and solution) :|
(2012-07-12, 21:35)pkunk Wrote: Those permissions didn't need to be set before
Well, things could have changed somewhere along the way and it would have been worth a try just to see if that could have resolved the issue. But all that's moot now and I'm glad you found a way to get it working the way you want.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCBuntu] No write rights on NAS0