• 20(current)
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread.
I followed the README.android, made myself a apk and installed, no luck with the HW acceleration, video is choking. I tried the one from pivosforum works great, did I miss anything ? How do I build a apk with HW acceleration? Thanks
Stupid Question...

Assuming that I can successfully compile the source code into an installable APK and assuming that I can install it on my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet, can I use it to display on the Thinkpad itself videos that are stored on my home's NAS?

I used the original XBMC on an original XBox back in 2008, but I've been out of touch with the XBMC scene since early 2009. My interest in XBMC now is to run it on my Android tablet, but I don't need/want it to display videos on my TV. Rather, I just want this to be a means of selecting/launching videos to watch on the ThinkPad itself. I have a young son who doesn't read much yet. Having an app on my tablet that he can launch, then see a scrollable listing of DVD covers, would allow him to pick a movie to watch on my tablet without needing me to read him 300 movie titles. "A Bug's Life?" "No." "A Night at the Museum?" "No." "Adventures of Tin Tin?" "No, just keep going, Dad."
(2012-07-25, 10:45)rere34lm Wrote: I followed the README.android, made myself a apk and installed, no luck with the HW acceleration, video is choking. I tried the one from pivosforum works great, did I miss anything ? How do I build a apk with HW acceleration? Thanks

Go to Settings - Developer and make sure 2D HW acceleration is checked (forced). Reboot box and it should be good.

(2012-07-25, 10:45)rere34lm Wrote: I followed the README.android, made myself a apk and installed, no luck with the HW acceleration, video is choking. I tried the one from pivosforum works great, did I miss anything ? How do I build a apk with HW acceleration? Thanks

you enable amlplayer in depends/xbmc/Makefile aka like the commit mentions.
Thanks a lot, davilla and momoz.
(2012-07-25, 15:20)soonerlater Wrote: Assuming that I can successfully compile the source code into an installable APK and assuming that I can install it on my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet, can I use it to display on the Thinkpad itself videos that are stored on my home's NAS?

"Yes". I built the apk and was able to play files stored on my NAS via SMB on a Samsung Galaxy S 3. Before going down the path of building the APK, you will want to ensure your device has NEON support.
I have a XIOS DS and have been using the apk that was posted on the pivos forums. I have been using it since the day it was posted, I am very impressed by how well this works. The library scanning took a little while to scan in my large library, and it has its quirks, but it really does play almost everything I throw at it. It has lots of Alpha software related types of issues, but in terms of playing most of the media you throw at it, it handles that very well, even in this early state.

This all reminds me of a few years ago when Acer Revo 1600 come out. It had its quirks at first, but quickly became a very stable platform that could handle almost everything you threw at it . Today that is still one of the most stable/reliable devices I run XBMC on (using openelec.)

Awesome job by the development team so far. Based on this link I can't wait to see where this is headed in the future.
Loving this on my Xios DS. Is anyone else having the issue where the remote just goes haywire for about 15 seconds? I cant seem to figure out why its doing it. Other than that everything besides streaming over wifi works great!
On Tegra2 devices... XBMC can be made to work, however, it is basically unusable for video playback. See my post here for more detailed information. Keep in mind the official statement is that the Tegra2 is not supported: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...quirements

If you are unsure if your device is a Tegra2 check out http://www.gsmarena.com/ and do a search. They have details on most Android Phones / Tablets including the processor. I am not affiliated with the site, I just find it very useful for tracking down what hardware is in a given mobile device.
(2012-07-26, 00:34)thebaum Wrote: Loving this on my Xios DS. Is anyone else having the issue where the remote just goes haywire for about 15 seconds? I cant seem to figure out why its doing it. Other than that everything besides streaming over wifi works great!

Yeah mine does the haywire input thing too, haven't figured it out either. I've been able to stream SD over wifi, but anything that might need some buffering is a no go for now.
Working nice on a Nexus 7. HD SMB no issues.
Anyone know of a way to use a universal IR remote on android? The XIOS has an IR port for it's remote, but I'd like to use my harmony and use more buttons (play/pause/etc). There's an interesting looking /etc/remote.conf that seems promising but pretty cryptic. Anyone know of any LIRC type projects? I've found a ton of apps for using IR emitters but nothing so far for IR receivers.
(2012-07-14, 21:06)bcrowie Wrote: Tf101 shows black screen then closes. Any thoughts?

I got a black screen too, any updates ?

thanks

The IR receiver on the XIOS box understand NEC, RC5 and RC6. /etc/remote.conf controls how the remote driver is setup. If you watch dmesg, each time an IR key is hit, there will be a debug msg. This includes from other IR remotes too but they are ignored. If you play around a bit, you will see how remote.conf is setup, how to link a remote to it and map buttons.

Note that the power button on the XIOS IR remote is special, it gets mapped to a special register non-volatile register in the IR controller to handle power on/off functions.
I just wish I could figure out where sources.xml and advancedsettings.xml are loaded so I can copy over my custom ones.
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread.6