NAS Download Speeds - nzbget etc
I currently have a Buffalo Linkstation LS-WXL NAS and it has been great. I have it running nzbget and it runs like a charm. I recently upgraded to 75mb Cable and whilst my laptop can blitz downloads at over 10mbps the NAS maxes out at around 3.8mbps. I suspect that this is down to the CPU of my nas but I can't be sure. I've got a full gigabit wired network in the house.

So ... if this is the problem it makes me want to buy a better NAS, would any NAS on the market be capable of maxing out a 75mb cable connection or am I living in a dream world and need to buy a full on server for my needs? I love the way my NAS sits so silently under the tv and I can access everything I need.

Would a Linkstation Pro do the job? I notice it has a 1.6ghz ARM processor rather than 600mhz and 256mb RAM instead of 64mb or would I still be wasting my money?

Any solutions welcomed! Thanks!
First off i have no experience with either of those devices personally.

From my experience of NAS devices, (OEM and homemade), processor is key when repairing/unpacking but memory is equally important to maintain a high download speed. If its an off the shelf solution you are looking for then there are more powerful (atom\i86 processors and more/expandable memory) available from the likes of netgear, synology, Qnap et al.

I have had experiences with all those brands in the past and was happy with both the hardware and software to differing extents. Unfortunately my internet is 25mb and whilst the newer x86\x64 devices with 4gb ram performed very well for me i cant comment on internet speeds that are any faster sorry.

My educated guess would be that 256mb RAM is too low to saturate your connection, and you might get better flexibility with an i86\x64 based device. If no one more knowledgeable chimes in with more specific information here, then check out the netgear/synology/qnap forums, you should be able to get more specific suggestions there.

Good Luck and check back and let me know how you go! (quite envious of your connection!)
Playing with XBMC on all platforms :)
A 3.8mbps download still ant no slouch. What CPU does it have? Also to a file transfer from your laptop top your NAS what speed do you get? Wired of course
I know its not slow at 3.8mbps but a bit frustrating when I know I could get 10+mbps. When I connect directly to the NAS (via the router - which actually I don't think it gigabit) then it transfers at about 11mbps. Which I actually think is pretty slow right? Would buying a gigabit switch and hanging it of my Verizon router then connecting the NAS to the gigabit make any difference? I'm guessing not?
Im confused now. Your NAS should be connected directly to your router. What else could it be connected to?
The NAS is currently connected to my non gigabit cable modem/router.
I was thinking of buying a gigabit switch to attach to the non gigabit router and then connecting the NAS etc to the gigabit switch.
This could only speed up internal speeds to/from the NAS though right.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS Download Speeds - nzbget etc0