Custom 30+HD Steel Server
Wow that is a lot of effort and from what I can tell excellent craftsmanship, very impressive. Looking forward to more build pics. Are you worried about vibration from the drives?
(2012-08-25, 03:00)crimsonfury Wrote: Any finished pics?

Haven't progressed since the photos. I only came back yesterday, so next weekend I hope to have it physically completed.

(2012-08-25, 07:41)MrCrispy Wrote: Wow that is a lot of effort and from what I can tell excellent craftsmanship, very impressive. Looking forward to more build pics. Are you worried about vibration from the drives?

To combat vibration I'll go buy some soft rubber grommets and drill holes in them and place them between the drive and the screws.
If that still doesn't help, I will line the inside of the rails with a thin element of rubber. I want it snug, however, because while I could suspend the drives, I don't want them "swinging" neither!

I was thinking to help dampen some noise, when I'm finished, I might deaden the walls with this:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24

This was a great resource for things like this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page3.html

The fact that I used steel rather than aluminium is beneficial, I think.

Hey Fional!

Any progress on the finished product?
I stumbled upon this thread, due to the bump from crimsonfury. I have to say.. Well Done, it looks amazine, and I certainly would like to see the finished product and the temps as well.

I wish I had the time, and money, to take one a project like that. Perhaps one day I can convince the wife that it is a good idea lol.
I have not had time to work on it very much, I am afraid. I've been insanely busy writing lesson plans and just have not had the time for anything. I'm hoping to be caught up this week.

I still need to make a small cut on the backend of the box for the I/O ports, just to make it a wee bit wider. Then I'm going to make it as "anti-vibration"-like as I can with rubber grommets and so forth. Then hopefully I can get the yoke over here and figure out where I'm going to put it!

I'll definitely update with pictures and temps and so forth. Assassin generously gave me a guide for setting up my RAID so I look forward to using that as well.

Looking forward to an update on this. It looks like a beast of a project
So I hear I can run xbmc off my old commodore 64.

Pretty cool......pretty really cool
(2012-11-24, 03:02)wally101 Wrote: Looking forward to an update on this. It looks like a beast of a project

+1
Hardware RAID is voodoo! It's that simple Wink But with 30 drives I don't suppose you have a choice! Just thinking aloud, 30 drives, 8-port cards, how many PCIe slots do you have? I'd also have thought your RAID arrays will be dictated by the number of controllers you have? Just wondering how you envisaged this bit of the build; I'm a server hardware nerd Wink

Good looking start though, looking forward to the end product.
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom 30+HD Steel Server0